Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 PM

Default Technically not new...

The engine is not technically new, the configuration is. It is actually a Taurus engine. Anything new is bound to have it's issues there is no doubt. Hopefully all the testing they did was not all for nothing...
Old 04-19-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
If that is true then it would be the first time in recent history that this has happened. The first year that any new motor comes out is always a little sketchy but neither Dodge or GM have put out motors with as many problems as the last few Ford diesel engines. To make matters worse about the time they get one engine figured out they replace it with another even more problematic engine. Dont get me wrong, IMO brand loyalty is for fools and I'll drive whatever works, but buying a Ford with an unproven engine in it is a big mistake given their recent track record, IMO of course.

PS does anyone remember the Buick Grand National or the Chevy Typhoon? I think thats about all the reliability you can expect out of the new Ford engine... if they actualy got it right for once. Would be surprized if it survives any longer than those did befor getting tossed into the "well that was a cool experiment" pile. But honestly I would love to see them prove me wrong.
Im not so sure of what research you've done before posting this long rant on the quality and reliability of the new ecoboost engines. Eco Boost has been around for a while in Europe and is well tested, this is just the first time its crossing the pond to north America.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Animal View Post
I've owned for about a month now,have not pulled anything with it yet though.The mileage is decent the Missus went to Calgary and back and used 84L for 543km the tank holds 98L.It has sports car performance in a pick-up.Talked to Lethbridge dealer the other day where I bought mine ,the salesman said that there 40 pick-ups on order with the Ecoboost engines in them
That's 17 mpg, I would be inserting the truck in the showroom

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 PM

if this thread was in the fishing section..it well.....it would be deleted..lol
Old 04-20-2011, 06:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
if this thread was in the fishing section..it well.....it would be deleted..lol
Lol if the wrong person owned an echo boost a few of us would be getting warnings
Old 04-20-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
That's 17 mpg, I would be inserting the truck in the showroom
X2!! WTF thats horible I get better mileage with my 5.7L with a supercharger!!

sounds like the "eco" in ecoboost don't mean much.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:54 AM

I hate measuring fuel economy in MPG. There are 2 "accepted" gallons used for MPG calcs, US gallons (3.78 L, blue line on the graph) and Imperial Gallons (4.55L, red line on the graph). All manufacturers in the states use Imperial Gallons when they tell you the fuel economy. When someone claims their mileage in MPG, who knows what they're getting...

I get average 12 L/100km on the highway in my 2010 F150 5.4L, empty, going 120. With a good tail wind I experimented and I drove 140 and got 11L/100km with the truck loaded with camping and hunting gear. Into a strong headwind heading to Canmore I got 16L/100km doing 110. Best I ever got was 10 L/100km doing 110 with little wind. So with these numbers, my truck gets anywhere from 15 MPG to 28 MPG, depending on the gallon. Pretty ambiguous if you asked me. At least with L and km the units are always consistent.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 AM

Well I think most Canadians use the Imperial gallon, seeing as that was the unit we used before metric came in. I can't see why American manufactures would use Imperial gallons, they sell there gas in US gallons. I'm old school, can visualize mpg easier than l/100 kms
Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 AM

They use the imperial gallon because it makes the consumer believe they are getting better mileage due to the artificially higher MPG rating. Every commercial on an american TV network says MPG and if you read the fine print it will usually give the L/100km value which confirms that they use the imperial gallon.

I have the sticker from my truck. Estimated highway mileage is 11.3L/100km or 25 MPG (using the 4.55L gallon).

Old 04-20-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
They use the imperial gallon because it makes the consumer believe they are getting better mileage due to the artificially higher MPG rating. Every commercial on an american TV network says MPG and if you read the fine print it will usually give the L/100km value which confirms that they use the imperial gallon.

I have the sticker from my truck. Estimated highway mileage is 11.3L/100km or 25 MPG (using the 4.55L gallon).

Thank you for pointing that out. It drives me crazy when car dealers throw around these numbers without an explanation.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:08 PM

Go on you tube and punch in eco challenge results are impressive
Old 04-25-2011, 03:09 AM

I know this isn't specifically on the Eco-boost but I found it interesting none the less seeign as they do ALOT more research into vehicles than we ever can.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-wors...-20110418.html

Notice,, Ford is the only NA auto maker not on the list!