Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:10 PM

Chef there are many hunters that consider hunting with a rifle "unsporting" and look down on rifle hunters altogether much as you look down on road hunters. IMO the simple answer to your dilemma is to put down the gun pick up a bow and hunt in a zone like 410...there problem solved.

I will second the complaint about people breaking the rules and the law. But if we're going to also complain about things that affect the way we personally feel about a hunt even if said activity is legal...well then I will also b!tch a bit myself...about those big trailers...seeing those mobile mountain condo's randomly strewn about the bush does nothing for my experience and ruins MY sense of the hunt and being in the wilds. In light of that are you going to stop hauling your trailer out and random camping? Or is that a case where trailering is just what you do and its legal and YOU don't see a problem with it so its okay to ignore what someone else might think. Its a slippery slope ain't it. Everyone has "their" way and you may as well get used to any "way" that is indeed legal whether YOU think its "ethical" or "right" or not. Ultimately I think thats what most have a problem with about your comments. You come off like everything you think and feel is "right" and all should abide by that standard. Unfortunately that ain't the way the world works bud. Everyone feels a little differently about things and what you feel doesn't trump anyone elses feelings. Don't mix up true legal/danger issues with personal standards/ethics and people might listen a little more.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
Hey someones gotta get on the horse and take the riegns ,some of ya,s are too busy or shall i say too lazy to get out of the truck .
You,d rather follow the horse by vehicle and never learn a thing , let alone teach anything worthy.
But yes we know you are passing all of your knowledge on to your son , to hell with the rest of the hunting world ,you would rather turn the other way and agree with the wrong doers just to look like you are a defender of the free publics rights.
Right down to african poaching and the killing of innocent trophy and protected animals.
Acknowledgement is the first step to recovery there unwise one.
I in no way think the right way is only my way ,but i hold the right of a free speaking ,ethical hunting person to express my opinion especially when it affects my day or way as a hunter.
There is always 2 ways of doing things , right and wrong , there are no in betweens nor should there be justification for the wrong way .
Those that condone or partake in the wrong way ,need to be educated or disiplined.
Turn on the tv and watch the nature of things ,now , therfe is a show on about your favorite friends ,african poachers and trophy hunters.300 starchoice.
Oh that’s right.. I forgot anyone who hunts outside of their immediate area is only doing it for the ego rush.. And if you go to Africa you are a Poacher. In fact didn’t you say something about guides that poisoned the water so the game animals were easier to shoot.
Those were your words.. Not mine

Man Chef.. When you find yourself in a hole..
QUIT DIGGING.

*You know, I had something here that was just a bit to personal.. I am not going to sink to that level, most people know who I am dealing with here....*

Jamie

Last edited by Jamie; 11-01-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Nation wide

I wanted to reply to your post. I cannot believe you truely believe road hunting is a good practice. When you all the stories posted on this board of good hunts (example walkking for miles insearch of sheep, waiting in a stand for a WT, sitting beside a dog waiting for ducks to arrive). I find even none hunters can appreciate all the work a true hunter puts in insearch of game.

Hunting from a is as much of a sport as : fishing with a gill net, using bait on a stream, fishing on a closed body of water.

I do believe hunters need to stick together to change the thouugts of the sport. But i ment hunters, people who hunt from the road are not hunters in my book.

I have the pleasure of working with 30 to 40 college students in the summer and have for the past 10 years. I can say that out of 300 to 400 students none have been hunting. And the vast majority have a bad image of hunting. But if i share with them some of the good stories i read that have been posted on this board alot can a least understand huntings appeal.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:50 PM

Ghey!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Banned

James .
your babbling again , its time for the meds bud,at least there are a few for and a few opposed to road hunting as we speak of it .
A Safety issue at best and an disrespectful way at the least of the scale.
Elkster ,what the heck are you talking about,random camping , camping is permitted on most lands for a short period of time ,whether you use a camper or haul your gear into the bush and cut down lots of tree,s and rearrange the wilderness to set up an outfitter tent ,do you see where im going here.
To set a camper up is not driving around looking for game ,its being comfortable in your older age while out enjoying the wilderness ,especially when you campsite is on private land .
who said enjoying the outdoors has to be uncomfortable and cold,and if you must know i also run a generator and a satalite tv system while having coctails by the poolside.This is not to be confused with sitting in a warm comfortable truck driving from cutline to leaseroad all day long .
Also i should mention i do 80 percent bow hunting ,but that has no bearing on the amount of people that do the same roadhunt scenario with a bow as well as thier rifles , its just a little safer when they use the bow .
Its still a fear of the bush as far as i can see and lack of respect for the individuals they purposely cross paths with.
There is no slippery slope between camping and road warriors, I see no reason why you would compare the two.
I do realize we have a vast age group on the board and i do expect some inexperienced responses ,and thats fine as everyone deserves to express thier thoughts ,but lets be real and think carefully before we fight for a right that is completely a wrong in so many ways.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Banned

Such as Spike belts???
Old 11-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Banned

Lets bring up the fact that so much private land in the prarie region is closed to most hunters and will not be accessable to most of us ever .
Reason ,,, road hunters that were driving around every lease road shooting and dragging deer under the fence before the farmer had a chance to catch up to them ,So since the mid 90,s ,the laws and the treaspassing acts were changed as well as the bad taste that these type of hunters left in the mouths of the non hunting and landowner,s .
So much game has been taken this way over the years that road and wildlife corridors had to be created as well as more and more hunting opportunities are being put to a draw system .
To reduce the amount of hunters in some area,s ,because of the amount of road access that allows for easy roadside killing.
I see the laws changing soon that will keep all guns locked and in a trunk or case, kind of like when they stopped the use of a gunrack in the windows of your pickups
Old 11-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Doc Holiday

You fellers live 4 minutes apart?... and banter back and forth on a Hunting forum?? C'mon, at least go kick the s**t out of each other and be done with it! Leave the verbal crap to yer pms. I fer one dont care about yer spat! Why do WE ALL have to read about it? This topic has no topic anymore.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

Thats your defense now , a mere suggestion of nails around a private fence you have no right to go around ,as i said I know i would never do this but it sure got the road warriors in an uproar didnt it .
The little thought that someone may stop them .
Get past the nails and let your brain surf the real issue .whether its your daily hunt ruined from sunup to sundown or the fact maybe you and your son are down the end of a cutline and you just shoot at a deer ,the deer runs up the line towards a cutblock ,then out of nowhere there,s 2 guys firing a hale of 30.06 bullets your way .
All because they were in the truck shooting the **** with the stereo blasting and seen a nice buck running through the cutblock,nothing happen to you and your son , but its a close call .
I guess there,s nothing wrong with that ,because they were not breaking the law.
To be hunting is to be aware of everything that is going on around you ,and to be aware of what may be going on in the area,.Hunting from a vehicle does not allow any such awareness to happen.
I hope this scenario never happens to you or your family .
It has happened to mine on numerous occasions and it actually almost got my father and son shot in 02 in 326 ,when 2 dinks in a truck came over a hill , seen a buck on the other side of a gated fenced in well station .
They fired half a dozen shots through the fence from the truck while my dad and son layed on the ground 50 yards on the other side of the deer .
My dad who had come from halifax to hunt with his grandson and son left with a fear of idiots of alberta .
They did not shoot at the deer in front of them as the buck was in between them and the well station ,an unsafe shot to most i would assume.
I should also add the truck hunters seen the buck run off ,so they just turned around and sped back out the road they drove in , without even considering looking to see if they wounded the animal.Off to the next road to see if they could find another.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Banned

Bla, ,bla, bla, bla, shut up all ready you guy's.. Enough is enough... Quit wasting valuable band width on this one give it a rest...
Old 11-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Banned

Your right Walleyes and Doc.
I am out of this one..

Jamie
Old 11-02-2007, 04:08 AM

Do not feed the troll.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
James
I live 4 minutes from your house at the top of anderson around ,woodlands.,come on over for a beer and laugh if you want.

So whenever you need that beer ,let me know .
Yeah Jamie, do it. And don't forget to call in advance so he has time to "prepare" your beer properly

"Hmmm why does this Coors smell like urine?"
Old 11-02-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:

As i said earlier .if your a road warrior with nothing planned for your hunt other than driving your truck across country from daybreak to dark ,I have zero respect or tolerance for you.
Just stay home and let the real hunting public and outdoors people enjoy the wilderness.
Where the heck do you get off Chef? If the person is doing everything legally, doesn't shoot from the vehicle or roadway, loads his gun when he gets out, is legally entitled to be on the land, has tags, and isn't shooting around you or over your head, what the heck is your problem? So its not the way you hunt? Yeah, we get it. We got it twenty posts ago. SO WHAT? So you don't think it's effective? GREAT! More game for you then! I suppose you can't respect or tolerate anyone who doesn't do things the way you think they should be done. Glad I don't live next door to you, and you should be glad you don't live next door to me I guess. "The real hunting public" indeed.

Pardon the over-reaction, but.... LOL

Last edited by Okotokian; 11-02-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Road Hunting.

My feelings are if you are not breaking the law then it is all right with me.I believe in treating people with respect so if i see another person walking or a truck parked on a line then i will not go down it because i don't want to ruin anyone's hunt.But not everyone is respectful and you are always going to run into *****holes no matter what you are doing.Some people like walking and some people like cruising cut blocks in there pickup but at the end of the day it is there choice to make.I don't like running into crowds so i don't set my stands up where people can drive.

A little story for you...

A few years ago my father was stricken with cancer and only had two years to live.He was still able to hunt on what would turn out to be his last fall but was unable to walk or quad.He was out one November morning cruising cut blocks for whitetails in his old hunting truck when he turned a corner and was met by a guy blocking the road.My dad never even had his window down when this guy started screaming about how my dad had wrecked his morning hunt.He tore a strip off of him and even stooped so low as to threaten to shoot my father if this was ever to happen again.My father is pretty layed back and apoligized to the man and turned around.Was it my father's fault that this man chose to sit in a block that had a main truck trail going through it?On a side note i saw this guy a few days later out hunting and he is very lucky that my dad would not stop the truck.My point of the story is that everyone's situation is different and before you go slashing tires you might want to go talk to them.I only speak for myself but i don't like people vandilizing my property when i am doing nothing wrong and there will be a hell of a scene if it ever happens...this i promise.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:53 AM

What a disgrace!! I just read this thread from start to finish, and I can honestly say that it darkens my heart to know that there are such self serving "outdoorsmen" out there. Chef, you have gone down this road before, and each time you got what you wanted.....a fight. You talk of all this illegal activity, and that is your right, and it is your right to be pi$$ed off about it, but you have absolutely no right to disrespect, steotype, and lump all users ( or in your case....all who don't share your personall thoughts and beliefs) into a catagory that suits your agenda.
Your comments about vigilante(ism) are not welcome here, and are not supported by the Outdoorsmen Forum and its users.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Gone Hunting

And isn't this the point where you lock a thread like this that has got off the subject and ceased to be productive? And though I do not agree with much of what Chef appears to be saying, I think some of the others are being equally guilty of slander rather than making constructive comments.

Often we run into the problem of different people having a different personal deffinitions of the term "road hunting". To me it means a number of activities involving driving or parking along roads or trails where it is legal to do so and hunting (trying to shoot some game). To others they are talking about all the illegal activities that COULD be associated with the same type of hunting from or near vehicles and roads.

When done legally and safely "road hunting" is a method I sometimes employ.

Robin in Rocky
Old 11-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Banned

Brady.
before you start to open your yap and flap off at me about your saddened heart, read a little closer .
you will find im not the only one with this opinion and sometimes it take a little digging to see who,s on what fence here.
I mentioned spikes and admitted i would never do it ,and yet you beek off like a wounded gull.
I read on here threats of all asorts of retaliation ,but mine in the only one you freek on about .
Seriously there dude ,you should read a little closer and stop the ****e that spews from you mouth .
Might as well lock the thread because its a topic the board wants nothing to do with .
You dont want my opinion on here and i suppose my yearly subscriptions are not welcome as well .
Not a problem dude , i was actually done exprssing my self as well as defending comments i made to a bunch or redneck back country driving retards,until you made your point and ****ed me off. it was a debatable subject to say the least and your comments only put you down to the a level below the one you think I am on .
Old 11-02-2007, 03:47 PM

LOL

Some people just don't know when to stop (ie. shut up)

4 pages of this stuff?

Old 11-02-2007, 03:51 PM

Chef, if we hadn't had this crap from you spewed upon us 5 or 6 times before, some of us would maybe believe you. I gave you a bit of credit there, like most who have posted, but you failed to see that, and returned it with attacks and belittling remarks. Duffy you are correct, the thread should have been closed.......a long time before it got this far, but it wasn't. I saw it late, and wanted to say my piece as a board user and an outdoorsmen, before I had to put the "goderator" hat on.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:39 PM

Can,t any mods close this thread already!!!!!?:
Old 11-02-2007, 04:57 PM

Default ???? for Chef.

You have never spotted any kind of animal from a truck and then went after it and shot it???

Please answer honestly.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:19 AM

Enough said. This thread is closed!