Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:12 AM
Nationwide

Fly guy wrote
Quote:
I cannot agree with any one who supports road hunting.
I support it and see nothing wrong with it when i see some old timers out for a drive hunting i think good for them still at it .

Quote:
That is not hunting it is simply shooting. No skill is involved.
so your saying there is no skill in shooting .So someone who shoot's out to 200 yrds - 500 yrds is just shooting no skill !

Quote:
I have not hunted in a couple of years mainly because I do donot want to be included with the road hunters.
sorry to hear that you stop hunting because of "ROADHUNTERS" .A little on the weak side but that is your point of view .

Quote:
In this day and age, we hunters need to stick together and try and change the image the vast majority of todays youth have of hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
now you have lost me you trash one side of hunters but yet want to stick together to change the image the vast majority of todays youth have of hunting! I will help you its called Education not trash talk.

WE ARE, ARE WORST ENEMY .I have to agree with Kelly & Beth on there last post
to bad i fell into this thread as i can see chef thrive's on it.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:41 AM

I love road hunters, more room for me in the bush.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 AM

"sorry to hear that you stop hunting because of "ROADHUNTERS" .A little on the weak side but that is your point of view ." Now that hurts
Old 11-01-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Relax

The weekend is almost here, drop this already and concentrate on the hunt for the weekend already
Old 11-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Banned

Im sure the thread does suck and is stupid to those roadhunters ,it sure does seem to have the most views and more reply,s than any other in the last 3 weeks .Im sure there are more actual non road hunters and others that are opposed to you that are .those roadhuntershave been keeping the fire burning because of your pathetic beliefs .
The beliefs that its OK to run your truck in or around a personal property gate or into a hunting camp to get to the other side because of personal disregard for others as well as a lack or respect.
Jamie if you dont like the thread ,keep your opinion to yourself ,Plain and simple .and why do you keep coming down to the garden in self defense.

Maybe i shall make this a yearly topic ,until someday maybe your buddy morton will actually pass a law or fix the regulations.
Lets put a stop to window hunters or ,the passanger see,s game so lets slam on the brakes and run into the bush after something with no regard for anyone who may already be actualy hunting there kind of hunters.
I have had the oppportunity to be in the bush a very long time ,I know how spooky game can be when approached by vehicles , the chance of getting out of your vehicle safely after parking it far off the road to allow traffic to flow is almost impossible.
I have seen many of you stop the truck in the middle of the road still in gear many times and run like a scared rabbit after an animal that you have zero chance of ever seeing again.
Also i have seen many of you shoot within feet of the vehicle if not from the vehicle .
Do not try to justify driving slowly along cutblocks or maintained roads as a form of hunting.There are others on here that say its not right to judge anothers form of hunting ,they are right To some degree , but when it proves to be unsafe or completely unrealisticly pathetic ,than Im sorry they stand to be judged and have been part of the reason hunting and hunters have been getting a bad rap.
If it is so right and ethical! then why are so many opposed to t?

They fall into the poacher category to the non hunting publics eye.
So many on here complain about the native public filling reefer trucks and shooting game along the roadside from the vehicles or even using lights to hunt ,although you are no better to be using the same technique,s with your vehicle !
Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Banned

So now you want to go after guys who do spot and stalk from vehicles...

I honestly think your full of used oats.

And why do you keep mentioning me by name.. There are PLENTY and PLENTY of people on this thread against your views of hunting terrorism.
You lonely or something?

Jamie
Old 11-01-2007, 12:22 PM

Wow Chef your really something. You must think that you are really special telling everyone in one way or another that their hunting methods suck. Now come on man I personnally dont support road hunting, but it happens. I know alot of hunters and I guarantee that all of them have or still do some "road hunting". Granted that must mean we are all shooting everything from the window, or running game down through the feild with our trucks. I mean who doesnt love Nascar hunting its great, get five of your closest western Canadian redneck realatives give em all a gun, throw em in the back of the Hemi and give er ****.
Actually I shot my largest Whitetail while road hunting, only a couple of points from B&C! It was great made a running shot at around 250yards, one shot one kill.
Chef I recommend that if you dont like the way things are done out in the Redneck west than maby you should go back to were ever you came from, or if you are from the west then maby you want to think about relocating because huntings not going to change for you.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Banned

It always seems as soon as i post a thread of some controversal subject Jamie , you are the foirst to start your baby face blubbering about me and what i should and shouldnt be complaining about .Matter of fact it is always a small majority of the board members that do this attacking .
Seems you feel safety in numbers ,kind of like the safety of your vehicles or behind you keyboards.
Now that this topic is getting totally twisted to a different topic,lets continue on.
Going after spot and stalkers are road hunters ,they are one in the same ,but you would know that wouldnt you .
I will no longer argue with you and your obsession to want and condone road hunting after this post JAMIE ,Im sure you young fella has lots to look forward to as long as it is from a warm pickup truck .
Hunter education teaches survival teqniques as well as hunter ethics ,no where in the program does it explain and condone the act of proper aiming from a vehicle .
matter of fact ,its all about proper storage and handling of a weapon in or around a vehicle, not how to load and run at the same time while persuing game ,not knowing what is beyond or being aware of who may be there ,,, JUST IN CASE YOU GET A CRACK SHOT AT WHATEVER IS RUNNING FROM YOUR TRUCK.
When a road hunter or warrior drives trails and roadways looking for game , thats all he is looking for and has no idea who may already be in the bush or beyond the end of a cutline he is running down or even shooting down .Unlike the real hunter that is already in the bush hiding from a spray of bullets from the road.
Stop with you hard headed thinking ,just because you want to argue with me ,Just because it is me .If this were another member your lips wouldnt be flapping as much as they are now.
The longer you continue to fight for your right as a road warrior ,the more i disrespect all of your hunting stories.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:48 PM
s_buffalo

I can understand why Chef is upset when it comes to people tresspassing, behaving dangerously and not respecting other hunters that are clearly hunting in the vicinity... I think we can all agree on that, no? Most of us turn around and hunt elsewhere if we see someone else's truck/quad/blind in an area that we planned to hunt.

Shooting from a vehicle, or while touching the vehicle (which is illegal), using your scope to glass, pointing your rifle at another hunter, these are the key issues that stand out in Chef's original post... We all agree on that, don't we?

When I am told that I am the only person who has permission on a property, and all sorts of people show up, especially when they make a lot of racket, well, I have to agree, that really sucks; my hunt is ruined. And with few precious days to hunt, yes, it does matter.

And "getting deep into the bush" hasn't always worked out for me in the past either... It's part of the fact that we do share the land, and have to make accomodations for others using the same resource, even if it inconveniences us.

We need to respect each other... It doesn't matter if you're driving a truck, or a quad, bicycle, or on foot... That's what it comes down to. The real crux of the problem rest on the people don't have any respect for private property, or other hunters. And those kinds of people reinforce Chef's distaste for road hunters in general, and well, I can see how he got to that point (though, sorry Chef, I have road-hunted in the past, and and still do on occasion, usually when I'm hunting with an older hunting partner, or going from point A to B...)

Cheers,
Stinky B.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:54 PM

So Chef are you saying, that if you were driving out in the country and had a rifle with you and a deer tag that you would not go after a big buck if you saw it while driving.
Can you please educate the board on how to properly and ethically go about hunting. What is the acceptable method of "attack" if I happen to be in the above situation.

What would you do? Being the ethical hunter that you are.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:00 PM

come on guys CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG we are all here to enjoy hunting and fishing. We should stop argueing and enjoy this beautiful province we live in. It's November 1st and hopfully everybody has good luck in there quest for what ever they are hunting for no matter how they hunt.

so please lets enjoy this forum for what it is meant for sharing stories of good hunts, close calls, Pictures and good advice.

Chef hopfully you have better luck in the future and if indeed the law was broken by people you talk about just think of it this way, They will get whats coming to them. So please lets move on.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Banned

Oh come on now we was just startin to have some fun now you went and wrecked it
Old 11-01-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
When someone is parked at the end of an unserviced lease road and there is nowhere to go but a 2 foot space around a guys setup to get on a quad trail that comes to a deadend in a swamp ,why would any of you justify such crap unless you do so yourself.
OK, so what you are saying is that you blocked access to a quad trail on public land with your big honkin' trailer. That seems sort of inconsiderate to me. Ideally they should have asked you to move your trailer so they could get where they wanted to go

I agree that the guys you encountered were jerks. To me, the biggest crime was scoping you. That's dangerous and threatening. I also agree that shooting from a truck is ignorant and dangerous. But driving along in your truck, seeing some game, parking safely, getting out and loading your gun and setting off to pursue it (Assuming you are not trespasssing) seems OK to me. You don't hunt that way, fine. You think it is unproductive and doesn't usually work, who cares? MOST of my hunting techniques are unproductive and don't work!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:09 PM

Chef your grabbing at straws, what about those selfrightous hunters on foot who spray the woods with gunfire but don't know they are shooting toward a road or at a camp they don't know about just beyond that pile of brush. When your in the woods do you know for sure there is not another hunter standing in the background unseen behind that elk your shooting at. Then theres the guys who sneak in on foot onto someones posted property, more common than those who drive in illegally just they are not as visible. One of those properties I hunt has a big problem with guys doing that, are you one of them? They are not road hunters though I've herd them complain about those roadhunting slobs. I find people who hunt on foot can be just as bad or worse than road hunters. When road hunting becomes illegal then you got something to complain about. If you see people doing illegal acts from a truck or on foot then you should report them, if they are doing nothing illegal then you got nothing.. Road hunters do not have a monopoly on unethical behavior, its those sneaky slobs who hunt on foot that are the bigger problem.

When you park at the end of the road you do not have exclusive use of the area. So one day when you see a 400" bull elk on a ridge a mile from the road your not going to go after it because you first spotted it from the road, you know that could make you a road hunter. You've never driven down a road and potted a few grouse or rabbits for a camp meal.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Banned

Chef..
I have always argued for those that hunt between the lines of the law. I have always argued against judgmental morons who think there way is the only way. I will always argue against people who make asinine statements that really show they have no clue. I will always stand up against those that make Ethical decisions for some one else, If someone says something Stupid, Dangerous or irresponsible I will call them out on it. Also I just cant stand Blow hard ass hats who think they own a piece of public land If you think you fall into any of the above categories.. Well good on you for the self realization.

Just remember this whole thing started because you said and I quote
“Not to worry guys ,the area,s i hunt will be fitted with a few booby traps and someone will be getting a tow truck to come fix the 4 flat tires the have with 4 inch spikes sticking out of them .

And then you said

“So if you get a nail or 2 in your tire,s , maybe you shouldnt have gone around the gated fence or traveled right through the middle of a guys hunting camp to do donuts under his treestand.”

Now as to what I personally condone or am against. Pretty much every thing that you “said” happened to you personally I am against. Getting Scoped out is a scary thing. (If it happened). Trespassing just ****es off land owners (If it happened). But your whole story has more holes in it than Swiss Cheese. You cant ever seem to give straight answers.. So I say again your full of used oats.

As for you mentioning my Kids.. They are off limits to you. You don’t know what or how I teach my children. I have 2 very responsible and well behaved Kids. Don’t ever bring them up in a negative fashion again.

Jamie
Old 11-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

Ok ill bite this one .I do not hunt from a vehicle nor do i drive every cutline or cutblock slowly looking for game that i may wanna run after to shoot .
THere seems to be some slow people on board here ,when one drives with the sole purpose of searching and persuing game from a vehicle .He is a road warrior , those that may come across game on a road by accident and persue it are road hunters.
The elderly have a choice to sit in the bush just like anyone else ,park your vehicle in a safe place ,walk in the required distance and hunt.
Do not drive for hours back and forth the same roadways ,hoping something will appear.
I park at the end of a trail that is intended for quads ,and they do go around me , they are not the problem ,its the idiot in the 4 door ford 4 wheel drive with 3 guys in it all wanting to get a shot at the same animal thet is standing 50 yards from my campsite when im at the other end of it .
The bush hunter is by far the safest and most aware of what is going on in his surroundings ,unlike the idiot in the heated truck with the steroe going and ,with no clue as to who is in the area or where they are traveling.
When a guy drives a backroad or cutline on a quad and shoots grouse or rabbits ,thats a totally different story for later.
If im going on a hunting trip ,I have a plan in place and keep to my plan ,I have informed others of my plan and keep things that way .
I have a heart condition as well as having leg surgery this year and that doesnt make me want to sit in a vehicle and experience the wilderness through a windshield.
I am very sure most of you know the difference between good and poor ethics or laws when it comes to the out of doors ,so stop with the foolish questions.
I am not worried about my hunt as much as i am my safety and the safety of others , my hunting is near done ,with a moose ,bear and a couple deer in the freezer.
The safety of my kids and friends is far more important than some piece of meat ,unlike most guys i have encountered running and shooting into unknown area,s from thier vehicle,s.
Dr fish I did not claim to be perfect in any way ,i just like people to conduct themselves as mature responsible people while in the possesion of a weapon ,or a vehicle .
Old 11-01-2007, 02:09 PM

i don't know i was taught by my dad that when you'r out hunting and come across a lock gate that meant stay out if the gate was open it was okay to go through i was also taught that if you should come across anoughter hunters camp truck or what ever that meant someone was in that area hunting so turn around and let them hunt in peace and quiet as i've said before if my oldman ever caught me scoping something he would have kick my ***** all it takes by everyone out there is a little bit of common scence but that seems to be in short supply to bad there isn't a pill to cure stuipd maby someone should work on one
Old 11-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Banned

Dear Jamie .
You have always argued because its ME and no other reason.
I am sure if rack was around he would be bunking right beside you for a good 2 on 1 against me .
please.... your opinion means so much to me also and as far as me mentioning you training skills to your children ,please except my appolagie ,,,, NOT .
i could care less about your lame excuse of a threat .I mentioned your ability to teach from the seat of a truck the ethics of hunting ,AS far as your fathering skills go ,i have no idea and have said nothing about them ,Do not put words out that i have not spoken .
I am sure you wife has done a remarkable job at raising remarkable children.
This discussion is not about road hunting or anything else ,rather it is an extreme personal dislike for me and a total lack of respect of you from me .
I think this arguement goes way beyond a hunting toipic .
Too bad for you .

Last edited by chef; 11-01-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Banned

Mudslug .
I am glad to see there are some good guys on this board with some sort of respect and safety toward others,I am sure there are many ,but its hard to state that when you get attacked for stating the obvious .
I on the other hand do not give a crap about the junk that comes from the mouths of the bad guys.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Banned

chef you're so full of it,, it ain't funny... Don't tell me you have never pusued game while hunting out of a vehicle.. I very much doubt there is any hunter on this board that can openly and honestly say that.. I don't expect the full truth out of everyone but come on people.. We have all done it and continue to do it.. Now again I'm not talking about hanging out the windows with guns and useing the window for a rest,, but I'm sure the majority on here use a vehicle where it applies for a form of transportation and a hunting tool if necessary... From what I can tell on this board everyone is a pretty good hunter ethicly.. To call down anyone that uses a vehicle for hunting an idiot and a city kid that is scared of the bush,, chef you're a fool.. Because chef I for one use a vehicle at times for hunting.. And this hillbilly has been raised in the bush continues to live in the bush with his wife and three hillbilly sons and will continue to long after you haul you're city ass back east to the wilds of Halifax.. So don't ever question my outdoor ethics and capabilties..

And I second jamies comment about bringing his kids into a discusion,, you crossed way over the line there bro,, thats taboo..
Old 11-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Banned

Mud Slug.. Your Dad sounds like a good guy. I also try and enforce the same set of Values in my Kids.

The problem with this whole thread is some Ass Clown decided to threaten other hunters out in the woods.. Thats my issue.

Chef.. Your a real piece of work.. You don't know how I hunt.. But yet you open your yap. Ever been hunting with me Chef? Don't worry about it.. I have rules not to hunt with people of your ilk.
And just so you know my son and I sat most mornings and evenings waiting for a chance at a elk, I showed him how to build a fire, I showed him how to shoot his BB gun, I showed him proper gun safety and I showed him how to cook hot dogs on a fire... I didnt see a ton of teaching from the front seat of truck. Please tell me how that is wrong
You know what, don't even bother to. Your opinion is useless and mostly immature. I
really hope some day I get the chance to meet you face to face.. Then I can get a really good laugh
BTW how is going raising your own kids? I notice you don't talk about them much.. Any particular reason?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Banned

Well walleye ,
Ill post the same comment to you ,I am sure you know a good amount about hunting ,fishing and whatever it takes to get by in the bush .
,My comment about teaching the kids about wilderness from the front seat of a pickup is not teaching anything and if you have dne this to your children ,than you should be ashamed .
I am not saying you have nor have i any idea of your talents as a woodsman ,Hillbilly came from your own self so do not try to make me look like i am saying this of you or your family.
I have spent 90 percent of my life in the bush and have taught my kids good safe and ethical habits as well as how to survive in this world,in the bush and out .
In my younger days i have been a part of what you call persuing game from vehicles , we hunted on private land and could drive for miles to see game , but this was actually more of a scouting expedition to me.
I do not find pleasure or comfort ,looking through a window at life ,i prefer to enjoy it ,as do my kids and the people i hunt with.
If I do see game from my vehicle either on the way to or from my camping sight ,i will set up a strategy to hunt that area far from the road as possible on another occasion.
As i said its not about that big glorified kill and the meat. Its about the time in the bush and the adventure whether by myself or with some friends.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Banned

James
I live 4 minutes from your house at the top of anderson around ,woodlands.,come on over for a beer and laugh if you want.
My kids are grown up and now i am teaching the grandchildren ,seems to me there has been tons of pics and topics about my kids and grandkids on here .
I am glad you are teaching your son the good things in life , but lets not forget the other things ,like how to not use a vehicle for hunting.
Far too many times these things get by us through peer pressure and such .
So whenever you need that beer ,let me know .
Old 11-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hillbilly came from your own self so do not try to make me look like i am saying this of you or your family.
I know I said it chef... I am a self professed hillbilly.. No use denying what you are....

This thing is getting more into a personal attack and off topic and for that I am also guilty so its done for me..

chef maybe someday we will meet in the bush and shair a beer,, I know you wouldn't have a prob with my camp nor mine with yours... Good luck...
Old 11-01-2007, 03:09 PM

i think the placeing of spike belt is wrong also and could be handled better but let me ask this how mad would you be if someone drove into where you were set up to hunt and drove around i know that i would be ****ed off i think alot of the problem that we are having with most road hunters (which i do to and from my hunting spots)is the lack of education a lot of people i'm seeing are youg guys 20 to 30 driving up and down roads that may or may not of had parents like you or i did that taught them proper hunting ethics and are to lazy to get out of the truck i'm not saying chef is right i just would like to see a lot more respect for other hunters how are we suposed to teach a new class of hunters right from wrong when a lot of hunters out there don't know it them selves
Old 11-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

Mud.. You are correct..
But I wonder if a bunch of it (20-30 year olds) comes from what they call the stages of the hunter.
Sheep wrote a good article on it very recently.

Jamie
Old 11-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Banned

Cheers welleye.
I think education is the biggest factor and acknowledgment to right and most of all wrong doing.
Thats my responsibility with this thread ,stir emotions and thoughts,letting the right people and the wrong people know they are being watched an monitored.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post

Thats my responsibility with this thread ,stir emotions and thoughts,letting the right people and the wrong people know they are being watched an monitored.
Yah know when I read this self serving drivel, I couldn't help but think of the 2 guys from Wayne's world.

WE'RE NOT WORTHY
WE'RE NOT WORTHY
WE'RE NOT WORTHY

I really didn't know they made horses that high.

Jamie
Old 11-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Banned

Hey someones gotta get on the horse and take the riegns ,some of ya,s are too busy or shall i say too lazy to get out of the truck .
You,d rather follow the horse by vehicle and never learn a thing , let alone teach anything worthy.
But yes we know you are passing all of your knowledge on to your son , to hell with the rest of the hunting world ,you would rather turn the other way and agree with the wrong doers just to look like you are a defender of the free publics rights.
Right down to african poaching and the killing of innocent trophy and protected animals.
Acknowledgement is the first step to recovery there unwise one.
I in no way think the right way is only my way ,but i hold the right of a free speaking ,ethical hunting person to express my opinion especially when it affects my day or way as a hunter.
There is always 2 ways of doing things , right and wrong , there are no in betweens nor should there be justification for the wrong way .
Those that condone or partake in the wrong way ,need to be educated or disiplined.
Turn on the tv and watch the nature of things ,now , therfe is a show on about your favorite friends ,african poachers and trophy hunters.300 starchoice.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:55 PM

So if a truck can do donuts under your treestand, you're road hunting from a tree. Move the stand back a bit.