Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Banned

Default Dummies of 326

So im gonna throw this out there to see who else had seen this or maybe someone on here was the culprit.
While in 326 south of swan lake last week for a week long hunt, I had the worse week of my hunting days this far this year, nothing but road warriors all day long ,idiots in 4x4s all over the place ,every cutline and powerline was enabled with the sound of trucks .
One jerk found it funny to drive in the deadend road past my camp setup and fire a few shots and then do mach one back out past camp while spinning up as much dirt and gravel as possible ,it was a new 4 door chev i believe .
Then there was the idiots in the white 4 door ford i think that had a couple guys inside with guns out the windows as well as an a hole in the back .
They drove slow and up every side road and cutline available ,that was the good part ,the bad was when they decided to lay thier sights on me at the other end on a cutline while i was heading out on my quad at near dark .
Even after i yelled profanity and watched them through the binoculars they continued to scope me and laugh while doing so.
I think when i sped up to have a chat with them ,they decided to bugger off and it wass in a dust storm .These idiots done so for a few days in the area and as usual the f&w are too short handed to do anything as i was unable to get a license number ,but be assured i am looking for these dummies always.

I hate road hunters with every inch of my existance.and i dont mean the guys that walk the back roads or cutlines . I mean the idiots that do nothing but drive from sunup to sundown ,wrecking the hunt for the true outdoorsman.
If your afraid of the woods ,take up tennis or something.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
If your afraid of the woods ,take up tennis or something.
I agree with your sentiments exactly; BUT, if you are so fond of the 'woods' then why are you hunting in the middle of the oil patch?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:49 PM

I had a similar experience in 326 over the weekend. It was a zoo. Originally we were up in the northern part of 326 and into 429. All was quiet, except no deer or elk. Went south in 326, saw it was a zoo, and went home. I hate that zone except that it opens very early and I can use my supp tag there. Beyond that it pains me to go there.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:55 PM

Know what you are saying Chef, I wonder if these kinds of guys know what the legal liabilities are when charged with dangerous use of a firearm and why do something so stupid if you did it in town there would be He!! to pay why not out in the country Bino's should be manditory equipment for hunting fixing stupid is a whole other issue.

Be safe "DUCK"
Old 10-30-2007, 04:10 PM

Default 326

That zone has been like that everytime im there havent went back for a while now .I thought the road hunters were bad south of the hat boy waz i wrong.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Only A Week

Quote:
I had the worse week of my hunting days this far this year
WOW a whole week of that BS. and some people worry about check stops ands trigger locks you dont need to "load your brain "to figure out where the real problem is .Sorry for a bad week chef.

Last edited by Hunterclark; 10-30-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:15 PM

I know how you can avoid such an experience. Go somewhere there is not so many people. There are alot of idiots out there, I just choose to avoid them.
From what I have seen, living half an hour from 326, anywhere even close to a road is pounded out by this time of the year. I don't hunt that area very often and if I do, it is on a weekday. If you have a quad and you are going for a week, why not pack your camp in and hunt from there? Everybody has crappy experiences like that sometimes, but those are not the ones to dwell on when you get home. Try to find a way to enjoy yourself out there, like a true outdoorsmen
Old 10-30-2007, 06:34 PM
s_buffalo

Sorry to hear that, Chef.

It's sad that some yahoos give all of us hunters a bad name. And it's harder and harder to find a secluded spot to hunt, especially if you don't have a lot of time off to do so.

Stinky B.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:53 PM

Chef
I don't think that you are alone with this problem there are alot of guys road hunting in all WMU. The F&W are out there but over worked and under staffed, last weekend seen White Ford truck with the F&W for road hunting on privte land good thing was they were charged...
Sorry to hear about you hunting trip gone bad
gramps
Old 10-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Banned

Its hard to haul your camp into the midle of nowhere when its a 27ft travel trailer, I have hunted 326 since 93 when no one knew it existed , but now with more area,s with less opportunities it seems every one and all thier relatives have taken permenant hunting residence ,especially since the sunday hunting has been allowed .
I do hunt there in the middle of the week which is somewhat quieter than the weekend , but this does not mean that the road warriors are goine home , it means they just have less vehicles to speed by to get to that cutline before the next guy.
As far as hunting in the middle of the oil patch , its called working with a few days available to fish and hunt after working a 24 day shift.
I also hunt an area of 316 that is enter with permission only wiith a locked gate , but many yahoo,s seem to think the gate is there as an obstacle course and go around it ,even when a tree has been fallen to keep this from happening , it seems to warrant the use of a chainsaw to gain entrance into an area clearly marked as grazing area and enter with permission only.
Not to worry guys ,the area,s i hunt will be fitted with a few booby traps and someone will be getting a tow truck to come fix the 4 flat tires the have with 4 inch spikes sticking out of them .
So when someone feels the need to go where they shouldnt go ,ethical or even lawfully , beware ....
Old 10-30-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Not to worry guys ,the area,s i hunt will be fitted with a few booby traps and someone will be getting a tow truck to come fix the 4 flat tires the have with 4 inch spikes sticking out of them .
So when someone feels the need to go where they shouldnt go ,ethical or even lawfully , beware ....
WELL Thats makes you no better then The so called road hunters that wrecked your hunt your no better then a street thug sorry your story isnt credible as it once was.Two wrong's dont make a right
Old 10-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Banned

I didnt say it was right or making me any better than the dummies , its only gonna make me feel better and it will make you,s think twice about you improprer ethics or actions.
when the laws too busy to take care of the problem and I am busy hunting , the one,s that shouldnt be doing what they are doing , will be busy fixing thier tires.
Guess it,ll make a guy think twice about his actions and maybe have some impact on the way some guy,s think.
So if you get a nail or 2 in your tire,s , maybe you shouldnt have gone around the gated fence or traveled right through the middle of a guys hunting camp to do donuts under his treestand.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:05 PM
lurch

"Booby trapping"trails is not a responsible way to go.

What happens if you kill someone in an accident related to your actions? What happens when they are not the "targeted"group?

Think People.

I agree that hunters that don't play b the rules can **** people off. There may be a better way to get some justice?

I bet the clowns that "patrol"with guns out the window could be caught with a couple of well placed trail cams. Dedicate one day of patrolling with your cell phone & phone in your complaints. They can't ignore the complaints if they keep coming. Suggestions only, that I came up with thinking about the situation for a couple of minutes. I'm sure there are better ones....
Old 10-30-2007, 08:07 PM

We used to hunt 328 all the time, and still do sometimes but have been running into alot of the same stuff. Five years ago the place we camped was clearcut (it kind of lost its appeal) and the other now has a lease road within 100 yards. Both were in great areas way back in the bush. 326 was the same deal. I have been hunting those areas for 17 years personally and went along on many trips before that. None of us have ever been afraid to work for our animals but having to find new areas can limit your success while getting to know the area with limited time. It can also be alot of fun. I know what you mean about the 27ft holiday trailer, I have one too. Aside from a couple over-nighters it stays parked during hunting season. I prefer the tent for the trips longer than 1 night, it enables us to start out from a less travelled area first thing in the morning instead of waiting until noon to ride back into there. Last year we decided to try a new area north of here and between three of us we were lucky enough to fill both bull tags and a nice mulie. We seen several other bulls during the week also. Friday we will be heading back there to see if we can have another good year. I understand how you feel about those areas that you have been hunting, and I know how people act out there. I could'nt put up with it anymore so I moved on. I just love leaving camp before legal light on foot, walking for hours on end to get into an area just to get passed by guys on quads. I also have quads, but so does everyone else that being the reason for setting up back in there.
Also, if somebody can do burnouts under your treestand in the bush, you may want to relocate your stand. If your so called booby traps ever got anybody hurt you would and should feel like a complete idiot. But hey, if you can't beat em' join em' I guess.

Last edited by Arctic800; 10-30-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:26 PM

we go over this every year and year after year everyone hates the road hunters. You know what I do to avoid the road worriers is NOT HUNT ON THE ROADS!!!!!! If you don't like road warriors get off the road yourself and into the bush where trucks don't drive its simple.

Just my 2 cents
Old 10-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
You know what I do to avoid the road worriers is NOT HUNT ON THE ROADS!!!!!! If you don't like road warriors get off the road yourself and into the bush where trucks don't drive its simple.

You would think that would be the logical thing to do wouldn't you....
Old 10-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Banned

YA THINK.
I do get away from the roads as far as i possibly can most times ,after walking or quadding an hour before legal time ,all for nothing as the road warriors travel where they shouldnt actually be traveling.
I have been in spots that quads have a hard time getting into and low and behold , there,s a 4x4 club coming through hunting,even though the signage says , quads and skidoo,s only . go figure.
Read a little more carefully ,does a gated fence not give you some sort of hint . I camp 14 k in a deadend road that is gated and still i have company on a cutline intended for foot or quad travel .
The solution isnt to get away it is to get tougher on the idiot that are too lazy or scared to get out and hunt.
I do not hunt roads that are intended for regular traffic nor would i drive the back country looking for something to shoot,and i know some of you do ,because of your statements and hunting pics .
If you dont want to get stung ,stay out of the bee,s hive.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Banned

K&B I know you,s always pack you and your kids as far as you can from the regular traffic.NOT Nice try though .
Most times im sure the kids are too tired to treck the milage it takes to get away from the mainstream.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Banned

Is it just me or does someone go on a once a month rant around these parts?

Jamie
Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 PM

This is a topic that Chef has brought up for maybe the last 3 hunting seasons.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:54 PM

I would'nt be getting on people taking the kids out hunting. We all know that young kids are not always up to the long hikes back in the bush but that will come when they are old enough to. I don't really think that this was about other people taking the kids out for a day of hunting, so why bother getting into that. At least they, as well as myself take our young kids out and you are right, when I have my two year old daughter out hunting with me we don't hike in ten miles. Just like we don't hunt the whole day, we stop and roast hot dogs and other stuff to break up the day. I think that it is important to get kids exposed to this at a young age.(Well it is to me anyway)
So when some young family drives through your area with the spikes you planted and ends up spending the night out there because I don't think that you check everybody for cell phones, I hope that it makes you feel much better. Also, what does (you,s) mean???
Old 10-30-2007, 11:11 PM

I dont have the issue with the road hunters I mean if I see what I want on the way to or from then suddenly I become a so called road hunter as long as I'm legal but this scoping people is a major no no it scares me to have a loaded rifle tracking me thats the beef I share

The trap thing is all wrong Chef don't see ya getting any support thats like the tree hugers spiken trees its wrong all wrong.

Last edited by Donny Bear; 10-31-2007 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:27 PM

You know while reading this i could not help but think of hunting with my wife's Father. His Idea of hunting has been to drive down every road. when something is seen he wants to stop and sight it in and take a shot from the road using my truck door as a rest. I understand that shooting an animal is hard once trying to lug the meat out of the bush. however that is hunting. i am an old military man... I beleave in walk, and hunting. though I have read that you were on your 4x4 quad I beleave that it should only be used for retreival. I find it boring driving up and down each road and looking. what happened to the skill, the thrill. I have listened to his stories of living in newfoundland and shooting 3 to 4 Moose in the first day of a week hunt and then finally taking a Moose at the end. I realize he is not the only one. they come in every shap and size people like him and the folk you encountered. What matters is what we do and what we can pass on to younger hunters and partners even if some of them are STUPID!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Banned

" I camp 14 k in a deadend road that is gated and still i have company on a cutline intended for foot or quad travel ."

So how do you get your trailer back there?

Also you say you are short of time.. But yet you can do a week long hunt.. If the crowds are getting to you.. Head north. 326 is almost smack dab in the middle of over 2,000,000 people.. What else did you expect? Your own private hunting grounds. I am not defending those that break the law. But last I heard driving around looking for animals was still legal.

As for the fact some guy drove through your hunting camp.. What was your camp doing on the road/trail?

As for the traps... I REALLY REALLY hope someone from F/W reads this and tracks your sorry ass down if you do this... Why on gods green earth would you ever try something like that??

Jamie

Chef for a old guy, you sure have a TON of growing up to do.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:09 AM

Your want-to-be hunters have been around for awhile, but thanks to the oil boom and high paying jobs we now have more 4x4 and quads than ever before.

When you were hunting in the area in 1993 quads were not as popular as they are now. The last 5 years has seen a large sales of OHV's of all kinds. Oil and gas roads are both good and bad, they can make feeding easier for deer as new vegetation grows, the same with the lease sites. At the same time it makes it easier for all kings of hunting, guys in trucks with rifles out the window, road walkers ( who go in the bush on foot), quad hunters, road side treestand hunters.

Hunting in some areas in a number of WMU's well never be the same again I would think, actually it may get worse.

In 339 near Lodgepole it is bad now, but about 10 mins from there, you may find a lease road that may only be 300 yards long.....here you well not find many hunters at all. Yet off of the main pipeline are hidden trails in the bush.

You would be surpise whats just two hundred yards in the bush off of that pipeline.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:21 AM

Booby traps??? Great idea Rambo. The media would just love that one. I can see the headlines now: Hunters Setting Booby Traps On Public Land. That's just the kind of exposure the hunting community needs. And your comment to Kelly & Beth, real classy Chef, real classy.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:05 AM

Wow, road hunters sure cause alot of problems. I'm not a big fan of just driving around all day, and I really don't care for the people that feel there 4x4 should go into unwelcome areas. But I sure dont complain about them.
I have been hunting my entire life and road hunting is just part of hunting in Canada, and even though I may not condone it, it does'nt bother me to much cause I hunt on foot in the bush. Actually road hunters have contributed to a couple of my kills. Every time I am on foot and I see some dingbat driving were there not supposed to, I hunt them. I mean I watch what runs out behind them real close. Its really amazing what slips out the back door when you are just driving around, usually has really big horns.
Thank you road hunters!
Old 10-31-2007, 07:18 AM

hi chef; what you experianced in 326 is a scourge that we all are unfortunately forced to endure. laws aren't ment to be broken but as we all know they sure as hell can be streched. people road hunt for various reasons, some legit, some not. we both know there are legal ways of driving around on crown land and taking an animal. but what you went through was not one of those. your only recourse is to use the athorities that exist and report to them the morons that are committing the crime. even though your own rage would like you to be a bit more drastic. cooler heads usually prevail and if you can manage to get a discription of the vehicle, it's direction of travel, licence plate # ect. and call the police, not f&w, you have done as much as can be done within the law. you will have to give your name and submit a complaint as well as appear in court to testify as to what transpired. that's about it. but don't you think this would hit home more than doing something yourself that you may live to regret?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:31 AM

Default have to expect it

going to 326, you have to expect that. If you don't want someone driving into your camp, don't use a trailer and don't park it on a road. What did you expect? If you don't want to see anyone, pack your camp in on your quad. If you want to stop someone from driving into your camp, lay some logs down on the road. It will at least stop the pickups. I bet if you went to the next zone north, or the north end of the zone you wouldn't have those problems. Also another good reason to open up more Sunday zones, that zone is getting pounded...
Old 10-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Banned

Its great now and then to stir the pot i think , we now get an idea of who is who .
Those actually hating the idea of someone laying a spike belt around a gated area are those in fact the one,s that would and probably have gone around or through one.The gate is there for a reason people .
My camp isnt set on a road ,its at the end of a trail i can acces easily as well as others can ,but thats the end of the road ,why would anyone with half a brain go around your site ,drive down a cutline into a clearcut where they know you would be hunting and pull stunts ,firing guns and spinning tires . all because they are complete idiots.
Jamie as far as me being 14 k in the bush with my trailer , its a road budd! thats why there is a locked gate ,to keep idiots out and the rest of us safe ,but I guess as i said earlier its just an obstacle to some .
I didnt say the quads were that much of a problem , its the trucks and the a holes afraid to step out , like the guy sitting in the passanger seat while wifey drives so he can be ready for the big attack ,BIG BRAVE HUNTER FROM THE CITY. give me a break .
Jamie why dont you talk to your best buddy Ted morton there and have some laws put in place that will allow this crap to be legal if your so for it.

As far as F&W reading this Jamie , maybe you should call them and report me ,and lets forget about the real issue at hand .
The gate I use is owned and maintained by SRD and they are fed up with you dinks as well.
Law breakers that have no respect for other hunters or someone,s property.

As i said earlier .if your a road warrior with nothing planned for your hunt other than driving your truck across country from daybreak to dark ,I have zero respect or tolerance for you.
Just stay home and let the real hunting public and outdoors people enjoy the wilderness.
Dave . the exposure hunters now have is very negative because of the idots that do just as i have been saying ,lack of respect to others property and lack of respect for the game they pursue,I would say the farmer that owns the land i hunt is at witts end with idiots that have that lack of respect as well does the F&W .
It is guys with trucks that drive every back road and every cutline that give us a bad name ,all over this province its hard to get permission to hunt , because of such crap that has been occuring .
where in the world does it say that a truck is fair chase and weapons out the windows or sitting in the back of a pickup is hunting fairly.
Sorry dude its the redneck attitide of the west that allows such crap to take place.
Try that ****e in the east and you,ll lose more than you dignity.
Closed Thread