Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-19-2010, 02:25 PM

Question Coyote Calling Sequences

Does anyone have any suggestions for coyote calling sequences? Length of call, time in between calls? I've been trying for a while with a Johnny Stewart electronic to get some yotes in at a place I know there are a lot of dogs, but haven't had one respond yet. I've been letting it play for about a minute straight, then waiting 5-10 minutes and doing it again. No luck so I need to try something new if anyone has any suggestions.

Edit: Was out for an hour and a half this morning with lots of tracks around. No coyote.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:30 PM

What call do u use i find in my area the cotton tail distress works the best make sure you are hidden well in the bush if they see u at all they run away and i also have a smaller electronic call i alterne with also cotton tail distress
Old 12-19-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkynuts View Post
What call do u use i find in my area the cotton tail distress works the best make sure you are hidden well in the bush if they see u at all they run away and i also have a smaller electronic call i alterne with also cotton tail distress
I don't have cottontails where I'm at so I use the jackrabbit one on the top left. Seems to attract more frickin' magpies than anything. I was in my blind so not too worried about them seeing me just need to get them in sight and I'm golden.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:34 PM

if the magpies are comeing in you are doing it right and i would try the cotton tails calls any way i usuallt sit in one spot 45min to 1 hour per site
Old 12-19-2010, 08:40 PM

one thing that works for me is to start off with a coaxer or quiet squeaker call for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then wait a minute or 2 and do the same thing 1 or twice, if nothing comes in about 5 mins then ill go to a louder jackrabbit or cottontail. Also if there is a fence or tree by you try tying a plastic grocery bag to it, they will think that it is the dying animal and come right to it.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:28 PM

I start with a howler, a quick challenge call and see if anything responds. then i switch to a prey in distress call. works pretty well for the most part, they don't always respond to the challenge, but if they do they'll come running once the distress goes off. I've never used the electronic call do they work well?? worth picking one up??
Old 12-19-2010, 09:31 PM

i find they work well and thats a good tip about the plastic bag never tought of that
Old 12-19-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
I start with a howler, a quick challenge call and see if anything responds. then i switch to a prey in distress call. works pretty well for the most part, they don't always respond to the challenge, but if they do they'll come running once the distress goes off. I've never used the electronic call do they work well?? worth picking one up??
do you do this at a certain time of year or anytime?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:51 PM

Holiday project is to build an electronic call. This site has some down loadable call sequences . Others out there, as well.

http://varmintal.com/coy5-20.htm

Grizz
Old 12-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_m View Post
I don't have cottontails where I'm at so I use the jackrabbit one on the top left. Seems to attract more frickin' magpies than anything. I was in my blind so not too worried about them seeing me just need to get them in sight and I'm golden.
If you attract magpies, you're doing it right. You just need to be patient. 'Yotes will circle and come 'round the rear...remember that when glassing. When it's 20 below, seems futile to wait one hour for something you ain't gonna eat. Then some days, you just can't keep them off you. You gotta decide if this is your game or not.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Lots of different schools of thought here.

I'll toss my 2 cents in.

First of all I don't hunt coyotes, I call them. That means I have to try to make some sound that will catch and hold their interest.

I'm only ever on a stand about 15 minutes. Most of my coyotes are dead within that time.
Does it work all the time? NOPE. But nothing does. I could sit for longer , but have found for me that the short stands and more of them work better than the long stands.

I like to start with a couple of howls. I don't use the challenge howl till I've made contact. If it works for you , have at it. I like to get a feel for how tough the coyote is before I challenge him. If he is a big tough dog, then no problem, but if he still squats to pee sometimes, he may be scared off by an aggressive challenge howl.

After the howling and depending on the results, I may go to a distress. I call as loud as I can and only stop long enough to glass the area. Some say you can scare a coyote by starting off loud. Maybe so, but there is something very wrong with a coyote that is scared by the sound of a dying rabbit.
On the other hand, any rabbit I heard screaming did not worry about disturbing the serenity of sleepy hollow. They scream as loud as they can till they die,

I don't worry if my call is a 'jack in distress' and there are only cottontails around. I don't think ol wiley says 'Hey that's a jack in distress' WTH there ain't no jack rabbits around here, must be a Redfrog with his rifle."

There are a lot of different reasons they respond. A free meal or female in heat are two big motivators and not necessarily in that order. But you already knew that.
The challenge works with a territorial coyote or during breeding season when they will fight. It also works late spring/summer if you call at that time of year. They will come out to protect the pups.
I don't hunt then, but that is just me.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-20-2010, 01:06 PM

Redfrog,

Yet another great post about coyote calling. When it comes to calling, you're The Man. Thanks for sharing your valuable knowledge on the subject.

Bobby B.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Thanks for the kind words Bobby. I don't know that I'm all that but I like to see people try calling predators.

Get run over while calling and you're hooked. It is different every time out. Sometimes you can't seem to buy a coyote and the next time they are committing suicide. It sure stretches your hunting season.

I just tried a call out my back door. It is a small howler/distress and I wanted to check the volume. I howled a few times and as I turned to come back in the house, one pack opened up to the east and a minute or so later a couple howled from the south.

It is nearly perfect day for calling, but I have stuff to do in town. May make a stand or two on the way home.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-21-2010, 01:09 PM

I tried the cottontail call today. Believe it or not...no coyotes, no magpies, but lots of mule deer. First property I called 4 spike mule bucks up to about 25 yards. Curious as to what the high pitch sound was. Moved to another place later on and within 10 seconds of letting the call go, had 9 more mulies come out into the field. That group had 7 doe's and 2 bucks. Who needs a grunt tube when a dying rabbit is just as effective.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 PM

Ive been having luck lately with a cottontail distress for about 40 to 60 seconds then a continuous rodent squeak on the foxpro. If I dont see any thing within 10 minutes I go to the pup distress it seems to be the go to call. Howling is a good way to locate but I personally have no luck getting them in on it with any regularity. Also I fully agree with redfrog 15 to 20 minutes a stand and move to a new one if they aint there by then they probably wont be. Also this fall I had very good luck with a whitetail fawn distress. Anyway just my opinion good luck dead dog is a good dog.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:29 PM

Default yotee calling

I'm at 35 so far this fall winter. Most called with the fox pro or mouth calls. I always set up so they will can try to get down wind so always set your call or caller up wind from the shooter... I have a ol goose wing on a string tied to a thin rod can stick it in the snow most places so it can move around in even a slight wind, just to keep their attention.
Start with a couple of locate howls then distress either rabbit or even a bird. for about 30 minutes if nothing shows or they hang up out of range I change call to a pup in distress and lookout they will run you over....... Sunday set up 5 times called 11 yotes in and shot 6 had one blank nothing showed up....
This system has worked for me since about 1980 ... Don't forget to use the pup in distress if they hang up or don't show 9 times out of 10 something will show for this call ... All yotes are protective of thier young...
Going to head up to Swan Hills after New Years for wolves we use nothing but coyote howling for them they respond like crazy must hate yotes as much as farmers....Last winter we got 7 in 2 days was great fun.
SST
Old 12-21-2010, 10:44 PM

huh that is pretty interesting about calling in wolves with a coyote call, I've never heard of that. I am wanting to try to call in a wolf or 2 out west of sundre this winter, there are far too many of them out there, I know this is a slightly different topic than the origional topic but what kind of calls do people have luck with calling in wolves other than the previously mentioned coyote howl?