Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-13-2010, 07:03 PM

Default anybody else use a rifle scope for a spotting scope!!

Got some flack on this sight for using a high power scope on my rifle for a spotting scope!! I hunt lots in the mountais and carry a good pair of binos!! just do not see the need to carry 3 optics on my back humping mountains all day does anybody else do the same! My schmidt and bender 4-16x 50 on my rifle is the best optics I have ever seen!! just asking if anybody else does the same!!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:18 PM

Im not sure if this is for real or not but a short answer is
NERVER
Old 03-13-2010, 07:22 PM

You trolling or just plain ignorant. Have you never taken a hunter safety course or a firearms course to get your firearms licence? One of the 10 commandmants of hunting safety and common sense is to not point your gun at anything unless you intend to shoot. If one day you happen to see something across a basin and put your scope on it to identify what it is and find out it's a person you have committed a criminal offence. It is illegal to point a firearm at people loaded or not unless it is in an act of self defence. Good way to have your rifle taken away from you and have your firearms licence revoked and just a plain stupid thing to do.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:44 PM

I would not say that I use it as a replacement for my spotting scope as there is no way I would not have one with me in areas that warrant it.

I won't lie and say it doesn't get used for more than just lining up a shot. If I want a quick look at something and my rifle is in my hands I'll use it to look. If I want to look at an animal in more detail than my 10x's show and I don't have time or want to set up my spotter I'll use the 18x on my rifle. If I'm watching a herd walk by and checking antlers I'll use my rifle etc.

There is a time and a place for everything but it is definately not a replacement for bino's or a spotter.

tm
Old 03-13-2010, 08:08 PM

Default No !

Use spotting scope or binos in mountains to spot & identify game(probably sheep). Your rifle is to be used to kill animals,not to look at something you can`t see or identify.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:54 PM

i dont know...do u like a rifle pointed at you??never even if its unloaded.....gotta be trolling but just incase u think this is acceptable, its not!!! if u can afford the rifle and scope u can buy a good set of binos and or a spotting scope...
rob
Old 03-13-2010, 09:01 PM

At no point did I say I used my scope as a an identifer!! I carry a good st of binos and don't put my gun on nothing I have identified!! chill and take a pill DO YOU NOT THINK CARRYING APAIR OF BINOS AND A SPOTTING SCOPE AND AREALLY REALLY GOOD HUNTING SCOPE IS REPETATIVE!! iN THE MOUNTAINS WEIGHT IS EVERY THING 3 POUNDS IS HUGE WHEN YOUR HUMPING YOUR ASS OFF ALL DAY!!

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-14-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180+ View Post
At no point did I say I used my scope as a an identifer!! I carry a good st of binos and don't put my gun on nothing I have identified!! chill and take a pill DO YOU NOT THINK CARRYING APAIR OF BINOS AND A SPOTTING SCOPE AND AREALLY REALLY GOOD HUNTING SCOPE IS REPETATIVE!! iN THE MOUNTAINS WEIGHT IS EVERY THING 3 POUNDS IS HUGE WHEN YOUR HUMPING YOUR ASS OFF ALL DAY!!
I don't have a 25-60X rifle scope and my spotting scope keeps me from "HUMPING MY ASS OFF ALL DAY".

-Billy Molls

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-14-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Somebody needs a TIME OUT!!

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-14-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I dont pack a spotting scope,just bino's and rifle scope.if I identify a buck with my binos and he is far away,I'll set up my bio-pod on my rifle at look at him through the rifle scope,because its a more steady rest!

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-14-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
If anyone is man enough to pack an animal out of the mountains then they are man enough to pack a spotting scope if they need to see at them powers.
Anyone that uses a scope for anything other than lining up an animal to shoot is using it for the wrong intentions. JMHO
SG

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-14-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
If anyone is man enough to pack an animal out of the mountains then they are man enough to pack a spotting scope if they need to see at them powers.
Anyone that uses a scope for anything other than lining up an animal to shoot is using it for the wrong intentions. JMHO
SG
Well said,having been scoped I can tell ya its a pretty ugly feeling
Old 03-13-2010, 09:29 PM

Default so I repent!!

maybe I should have titled this"DOES ANYBODY HER USE A REALLY GOOD SCOPE 4-16 X50 AS REPLACEMENT FOR THERE SPOTTING SCOPE WHEN ON A WALKING/HIKING HUNT!!!! REMEMBER YOU ARE CARRYING EVERYTHING AND YOUR BINO'S IDENTIFY EVERYTHING FIRST!!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
maybe I should have titled this"DOES ANYBODY HER USE A REALLY GOOD SCOPE 4-16 X50 AS REPLACEMENT FOR THERE SPOTTING SCOPE WHEN ON A WALKING/HIKING HUNT!!!! REMEMBER YOU ARE CARRYING EVERYTHING AND YOUR BINO'S IDENTIFY EVERYTHING FIRST!!
Doesnt matter what the scope is, the barrel is still pointed at something that hasnt been identified as a shootable target.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Doesnt matter what the scope is, the barrel is still pointed at something that hasnt been identified as a shootable target.
YA i PONT MY RIFLE AT EVERYTHING i SEE!! I CARRY REALLY GOOD PAIR OF BINOS AND I KNOW WHAT I AM POINTING AT BEFORE I SCOPE IT!!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
No need to shout there dude

I think you're asking too much from your rifle scope in this case. I spend an awful lot of time working glass over an area....to the point that you have to take breaks. Doing this with a rifle scope would be less than efficient as well as taxing. A good spotting scope will save you a TON of work.

tm
Old 03-13-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
I would not say that I use it as a replacement for my spotting scope as there is no way I would not have one with me in areas that warrant it.

I won't lie and say it doesn't get used for more than just lining up a shot. If I want a quick look at something and my rifle is in my hands I'll use it to look. If I want to look at an animal in more detail than my 10x's show and I don't have time or want to set up my spotter I'll use the 18x on my rifle. If I'm watching a herd walk by and checking antlers I'll use my rifle etc.

There is a time and a place for everything but it is definately not a replacement for bino's or a spotter.

tm
Great post TM! I says to me that you have experienced hunting the non-wide open spaces. It'd be fun to take some of these prima-donnas into some thick bush to see just how well their spotting scopes actually work, eh?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Great post TM! I says to me that you have experienced hunting the non-wide open spaces. It'd be fun to take some of these prima-donnas into some thick bush to see just how well their spotting scopes actually work, eh?
LoL thats why we pack good bino's. If its that thick a high powered rifle scope isnt gunna be any good either. No matter if your in the open or in the thick bush if you point a rifle at something without the intention of that rifle going off you are unsafe.
The original post is about trading the spotter for a rifle scope not about what to use in thick bush.
SG
Old 03-13-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
You need to work on your spelling/grammar! That is pretty bad especially if you claim to be a "lawyer"!

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-14-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:02 PM

I don't really see what more the OP can possibly argue, it is illegal to point a rifle at someone, and while it may be difficult to prove there was no malintent in the action, it is nevertheless illegal, and therefore an indictable offense. Plus, in the mountains point a rifle at the wrong hillbilly you are likely to get shot!

Legally wrong. Morally stupid. Bulk up a little maybe and carry the 3 lb scope. Or get a sherpa.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-13-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post

Truth be told I was thinking of hunting on the tundra as a reference for the post.......but yup.....a spotter is dead weight in the trees

tm

ps....we don't run into too many folk where we hunt
Old 03-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Or get a sherpa.
Darn now thats what I need for this falls Mtn. Goat hunt
Old 03-13-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Darn now thats what I need for this falls Mtn. Goat hunt
I could be one of those

tm
Old 03-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
I could be one of those

tm
Id take one if the river boat had room! Gunna be crowded with the 4 of us,fuel and all our gear.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
LoL thats why we pack good bino's. If its that thick a high powered rifle scope isnt gunna be any good either. No matter if your in the open or in the thick bush if you point a rifle at something without the intention of that rifle going off you are unsafe.
The original post is about trading the spotter for a rifle scope not about what to use in thick bush.
SG
Excellent post SG. Binos are of course a must, and are thus hardly worth mentioning. Hunting techniques vary immensely from geographical region to geographical region. I find that sometimes on this board, high ridges, coulees, praries, etc are the norm, and folks apply their hunting ethics accordingly......
Old 03-13-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Id take one if the river boat had room! Gunna be crowded with the 4 of us,fuel and all our gear.
Wakeboard????

tm
Old 03-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wakeboard????

tm
Now that could be some good watching
Old 03-13-2010, 10:30 PM

Pretty sure we'd make YouTube

tm
Old 03-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Pretty sure we'd make YouTube

tm
Oh im thinking so
Old 03-13-2010, 11:09 PM

I would never use my rifle scope to I.D a animal ect. As I did get scoped this year buy a fellow hunter .It gave me a really sickly feeling once I realized what he was doing. I do not wish that feeling on anyone.I spoke with the guy and he said that I looked like a mule doe coming up the hill at 500 yards.I asked him if he had bino's he said no So I gave him my small pair of tasco's that I wear on my belt and told him to use those.Hope he never scopes anyone again. At first I wanted to jump on his head with my boots. But by the time I got there I had collected my thought's.