Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-18-2022, 09:37 PM

Default Using a magnetospeed

I’ve been using a Caldwell chrono to try and get velocity info while I’m shooting groups or ladders when working up loads for rifles. I had issues with missing data, chrono errors, etc. so I found a magnetospeed chrono that I’m hoping will be more reliable and accurate. My question is, is it possible to get accurate groups while using the magneto speed or do I have to load up double now? One to shoot for group size information and another set to shoot for speed? I’m assuming that the chrono hanging off the end of the barrel will affect how the rifle shoots.
Looking for info from people who have used it. With prices where they are right now I’m trying to be efficient while working up loads. I know LabRadars are awesome but it’s just not in the budget right now, and I don’t have any buddies with them either.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:44 PM
Banned

Yes i have one and haven’t noticed that big of a difference
I would do a seating depth test first, then work on a powder charge weight after.
Then nothing to worry about
Old 03-18-2022, 09:52 PM

The magneto speed mounted on barrell did throw off my groups poi. Like the previous poster, I do chrono speed test last after load development.

I have tried the 10 shot speed test to find ideal speed nodes with exploring for load development. That was helpful in it self.

Definitely faster and more portable than caldwell chrono

-Reza
Old 03-18-2022, 10:23 PM

I ran some comparison groups and they opened up with the magnetospeed attached.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:31 PM

Default My experience

Bottom right is Magnetospeed attached.

Old 03-19-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I ran some comparison groups and they opened up with the magnetospeed attached.
How much?

-Billy Molls
Old 03-19-2022, 07:16 AM

I don't normally shoot groups with the Magnetospeed attached, but I did shoot a few groups out of curiosity, to see what would happen, and it was inconclusive . With one load /rifle, it made little difference, with another rifle/load, the poi moved , but group size was about the same, and with another rifle/load, the group size grew a bit, as well as the poi moving. I found it produced similar results to adding a muzzle brake.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:22 AM

If it bothers you being on the barrel get one of these https://mkmachining.com/product/mk-m...tospeed-mount/

If that bothers you to get LabRadar instead. I have both and prefer the LabRadar its the superior tool. One of the ranges I shoot at you have to shoot through a pipe so LabRadar wouldn’t work work there hence the need for both I haven’t Tryed both at the same time yet but will next time I go to the other range.

Last edited by Dubious; 03-19-2022 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
How much?
At 100m (3 shot groups) from agg just under 1/2” to about 3/4”….and seemed to string vertical.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:27 PM

I have one, when attached to my 308 with a heavy barrel there is no difference in groups or poi. With my 300win hunting rifle with a lightweight barrel it throws shots close to 8” high and spread right out.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:54 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the input guys, I’ll have to do a bit more thinking on this then to see how I want to include it in my reloading. I’ve worked up loads without the chrono but I like getting more data faster, I might have to look into one of the mounts that keeps it off the barrel.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:00 PM

I've used them and they work great! BUT>>>they will change the POI over not having it on the barrel. I got around this by doing load development first and when I decided on the best load, then I would strap it to the barrel to get the velocity for the data input for the ballistic software.

I've since solved this issue by using a MagnetoSpeed unit (not attached to the barrel).
Old 03-29-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
I've used them and they work great! BUT>>>they will change the POI over not having it on the barrel. I got around this by doing load development first and when I decided on the best load, then I would strap it to the barrel to get the velocity for the data input for the ballistic software.

I've since solved this issue by using a LabRadar unit (not attached to the barrel).
Opps...I mean a LabRadar unit.