Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-18-2022, 06:37 PM

Default Shotgun recommendation for youth shooter

The boy turns 10 this year and is fierce to get going but he needs a gun that'll fit a skinny 10 year old.

All youth models are on the table, don't care about specifics. Gas gun better than a pump as they tend to shoot softer? Does a perfect fit make up for the reduced weight, in terms of felt recoil? My only concern is being gunshy due to recoil.

Is learning to wingshoot well feasible if we went down to a .410 or will it be a lesson in futility? Not to mention availability of ammo. Best case to me is he can handle light loads in a 20 gauge that's a nice fit and then he'll have the same gun for a few years at least

What's your experiences for those who have brought up young shooters? Thanks guys!
Old 03-18-2022, 07:19 PM

a 12 gauge even with reduced power loads is a bit much for a 10 y/o and a 410 might be too frustrating although the recoil is much milder. I was a skinny 10 year old once and looking back on it, first off, the gun was quite heavy for me (full size single shot 12 gauge brazil mfg) didn't even come close to fitting, and recoil was punishing to me. best possibility maybe is have him try a few rounds out of a 20 and a 410. last year in cabelas they had a pump action mossberg maverick 88 20 gauge in youth model. son was looking to maybe buy it for his g/f. good price, quality unknown, he never bought it.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:20 PM

I suggest a 20 gauge compact pump like the Mossberg 500. Those old style single shots are lighter and never really fit anyone. You can add stock spacers as your lad grows. Short length of pull will help mitigate felt recoil.
You can use the 20 for a lifetime as long as lop is correct.

Shoot light standard speed target loads.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I suggest a 20 gauge compact pump like the Mossberg 500. Those old style single shots are lighter and never really fit anyone. You can add stock spacers as your lad grows. Short length of pull will help mitigate felt recoil.
You can use the 20 for a lifetime as long as lop is correct.

Shoot light standard speed target loads.
I do like the looks of the 500, having the spacers might make all the difference. Most youth models are 13 inch LOP but being able to start at 12" would probably make all the difference
Old 03-18-2022, 08:32 PM

Gas operated 20 gauge semi auto, used as a single shot, to get used to it. The gas operated semi autos are much softer recoil wise, than a pump or single shot. The Mossberg SA 20 is one of the most affordable semi autos, and they seem to be fairly reliable. Use light target loads. A 410 will just frustrate a new wingshooter.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:02 PM

Steven's 20ga ou...about 1k...aluminum and light...or as mentioned a semi plugged for 1 shot...browning makes a micro midas semi in 20 ga...silverwillow had them last time I looked
Old 03-19-2022, 07:23 AM

If the plan is to keep the shotgun long term, the Sx-3 youth or Silver Micro will last a long time, and you can add spacers, and then buy full length stocks as the shooter grows. While fit is still important for a youth, fit will change as the shooter grows, so a shotgun that comes with adjustment shims, is worth considering if the intent is to keep the shotgun long term.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:06 PM

I would avoid gas operation or self loader. These will have reduced recoil but also will self load the next shell. I taught my son and daughter on a manually operated gun first. One shell at a time. I tried with a browning twelve auto loader and you could tell the stress level was high.
I purchased a Remington wingmaster in 20 gauge that both shot. Even now as young adults they prefer the 20 gauge pump over my over unders, semi

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 03-19-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360hunt View Post
I would avoid gas operation or self loader. These will have reduced recoil but also will self load the next shell. I taught my son and daughter on a manually operated gun first. One shell at a time. I tried with a browning twelve auto loader and you could tell the stress level was high.
I purchased a Remington wingmaster in 20 gauge that both shot. Even now as young adults they prefer the 20 gauge pump over my over unders, semi
So use the semi auto as a single shot until the new shooter is comfortable. If you are really worried, install a longer plug, so no shells can fit in the magazine.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:25 PM

When my youngest wanted to start busting clays with me, I managed to track down a Remington 1100 LW (Light weight) in 20 gauge. She ran that thing like a champ, it fits smaller framed shooters, mild recoil, light and fast pointing as well. She beat me a few times at skeet with it. I'd sell you mine, but my daughter would smother me in my sleep, as she figures it is hers regardless of who paid for it. It's worth looking for, they are kind of hard to find. They only made them in the 70s I believe.

A little info on it here: https://www.petersenshunting.com/edi...hotguns/272354

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 03-19-2022 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 04:18 PM

I have a very light and quick on target 20G Franchi S/A 26" barrel I could maybe be talked into giving up for a decent price. Hadn't thought of selling it but its not getting used much the past while.

Inertia vs gas driven but 20g aren't hard for most kids to shoot. I learned with a 28g at the same age as you'd son and they're pretty close.
Old 03-19-2022, 05:24 PM

Since you are asking !
I would never let a 10 year old have or shoot a shot gun .
I would say 14 .
Old 03-19-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Since you are asking !
I would say 14 .
Old 03-19-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Since you are asking !
I would say 14 .
I suspect you wouldn't have approved of my daughter's shooting .357 magnum revolvers before they were 10.

Somehow they all made it into their 20s.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-19-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Since you are asking !
I would say 14 .
depends on the kid,some are way more careful and responsible than a teen ager that has never been around a firearm.I was started at 8 years old with a .410,my father was a very strict teacher when it came to gun safety.By the time I was 10 I was very proficient with it and had my fathers blessing to go by myself.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSDucknut View Post
The boy turns 10 this year and is fierce to get going but he needs a gun that'll fit a skinny 10 year old.

All youth models are on the table, don't care about specifics. Gas gun better than a pump as they tend to shoot softer? Does a perfect fit make up for the reduced weight, in terms of felt recoil? My only concern is being gunshy due to recoil.

Is learning to wingshoot well feasible if we went down to a .410 or will it be a lesson in futility? Not to mention availability of ammo. Best case to me is he can handle light loads in a 20 gauge that's a nice fit and then he'll have the same gun for a few years at least

What's your experiences for those who have brought up young shooters? Thanks guys!
I have an older friend who has mentioned selling his weatherby 20g SA-08. It is in mint condition and has seen very little use. Shoot me a pm if you want me to check with him if the gun is available. They are reliable guns that offer great value.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:31 PM

At that same age, I got my son a 20g Winchester SXP pump. He shot ut and shot it well. Traded it for a 12g when the time was right. They have quite nice recoil pads on them also. He liked it so much that he wanted one in 12g which he shoots to this day. I’ve offered to buy him a semi. He doesn’t want it.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:43 PM

Growing up in BC 10years old is when you can legally get your own hunting license. Within one month of my 10th birthday I was out duck hunting with an old single shot Winchester shooting ducks with 3 inch shells. I also had been shooting my dads 7mm at the range months before that. I was moose hunting the next season with an adult size 270 as well. I was a tall lean kid

But my daughter on the other hand could not comfortably hold a youth model 410 at 10 years old

So my answer is every kid is different do to size and personal comfort. The best thing is to use what ever resources you have through friends and family to let your son try different firearms. Start small and work your way up

There is no one size fits all when it comes to anyone kid or adult
Old 03-19-2022, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Since you are asking !
I would say 14 .
I am sure glad you were not my dad. At 14 I had already taken 2 deer, 1bear and a moose with firearms and 1 deer and 1 bear with a bow. Not all with my dad but other family too

All for teaching and investing effort to make sure they are ready. Not all kids will be mature enough or physically capable even but that depends on each individual
Old 03-19-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Since you are asking !
I would say 14 .
Wow your on a roll with the unsolicited opinions. Good thing he didnt ask you IF he should get his 10 year old a gun....my kids were all shooting RF by 3-4 years old and shooting CF or shot guns at whatever age they felt they wanted to. So far that has been ages between 6 and 8. Just because you dont train your kids for the responsibility doesnt mean others dont.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Since you are asking !
I would say 14 .
Every kid is different, I was competing in skeet when I was ten with a 20 and started shooting trap with a 12 when I was 11.
Cat
Old 03-19-2022, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Since you are asking !
I would say 14 .
I didn't ask. Leave your bull**** opinions in your head

And appreciate the replies from people with a brain.

We're gonna let him shoulder as many as he can before buying anything. Safety is paramount, whatever we get will be shot single loaded and i won't be shooting, I've killed plenty of birds, time to pass it on until such time he can be trusted as the second gun in the blind as he ages
Old 03-19-2022, 10:57 PM

Whatever you end up getting for your son make it something you both can take some pride of ownership in. He'll end up trading off a junker for a proper shotgun sometime in the not too distant future OR, you could give him something he could own for a lifetime that will hold its value well.

Go with one of the Italian manufacturers. Forego on the Turkish stuff the markets overrun with which can also include some of the better known names.
Old 03-20-2022, 12:40 AM

Default Franchi Affinity 3 Compact 20 Gauge

Would highly recommend the Franchi Affinity 3 Compact 20 Gauge

My kids started on this shotgun

Shorter length of pull

Light weight - the primary problems with the 12 Ga is weight, While the increased weight helps with recoil youth cannot wield it when hunting or trap shooting well. The Franchi is very light weight

I was initially concerned about using a 20Ga on Geese. I sprung for Bismuth loads during a good hunt we went on - they sure knocked them down. But with a well placed shot the 20 Ga had no problems in knocking down geese with steel either

Had him load it as a single shot until we was fluent and confident with use before I allowed multiple shots

Trap shooting really helps not just with the shooting but also with building fluency and muscle memory in handling firearms
Old 03-20-2022, 07:12 AM

Could check out the stevens over under. Seemed to be the best budget 20 gauge over under for me. A lot of people taught kids on cut down break guns for the safety aspect. I am all for it my self. If the guns open it’s safe, that’s the end of it.

A youth pump could be good, I’d avoid the auto loader more than anything. Someone mentioned getting a better Italian gun so that he can keep it for a lifetime… buy the budget gun and put the rest of your money into making memories with that gun. You’ll both be better off that way. Plus teaching your kid that lower end options kill birds is a life lesson you can never go wrong with

Light loads in a 20 is a pretty safe bet. It’s my go too for recoil sensitive or shy people. Maybe avoid geese loads this year. Unless that’s entirely what your after. Upland hunting loads are a lot more forgiving and the aspect of flushing a bird gives way less time to anticipate recoil.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!!!

Last edited by hilt134; 03-20-2022 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-20-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post

Someone mentioned getting a better Italian gun so that he can keep it for a lifetime… buy the budget gun and put the rest of your money into making memories with that gun. You’ll both be better off that way. Plus teaching your kid that lower end options kill birds is a life lesson you can never go wrong with
That was me and you'll have to educate me on how a $525 Benelli Nova 20g pump or $700 Franchi Affinity 20g SA would be a bad buy vs a $400 - $600 equivalent Turkish "value" shotgun or one of the bigger names rebranding firearms coming from there. Not sure what value you're putting into the making memories part but chances are $100 - 200 won't provide a bunch of them at today's costs.

Your philosophy may vary but two of mine are you get what you pay for with reliability + value retention and pride of ownership being nice assets. I'm just not big on disposable goods with higher frequency repairs when it comes to most of my possessions. Buy a cheap firearm and chances are you'll be wishing you'd used that cash and 25% more towards better after the first hunting season. The buy and sell websites are full of it.

Last edited by 270person; 03-20-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
That was me and you'll have to educate me on how a $525 Benelli Nova 20g pump or $700 Franchi Affinity 20g SA would be a bad buy vs a $400 - $600 equivalent Turkish "value" shotgun or one of the bigger names rebranding firearms coming from there. Not sure what value you're putting into the making memories part but chances are $100 - 200 won't provide a bunch of them at today's costs.

Your philosophy may vary but two of mine are you get what you pay for with reliability + value retention and pride of ownership being nice assets. I'm just not big on disposable goods with higher frequency repairs when it comes to most of my possessions. Buy a cheap firearm and chances are you'll be wishing you'd used that cash and 25% more towards better after the first hunting season. The buy and sell websites are full of it.
The issue being, that if you have a smaller 10 year old, they need a youth model, both for length of pull, and generally a shorter barrel that they can swing easier. You can add shims every couple of years to increase the length of pull, but in four or five years they will likely need a full sized stock. So unless you plan on buying a full sized stock, you will end up passing the gun on to another youth , or selling it. And a smaller 10 year old may not do well with the recoil of even a 20 gauge pump action.
So while I generally don't believe in buying cheaper shotguns, buying something like a Weatherby or Mossberg 20 gauge semi auto, for a small youth to use for a few years, isn't necessarily a bad idea. And when the youth outgrows it, they are quite easy to sell. For a small adult that isn't likely to grow much, or if the plan is to buy a full sized stock, I would be looking at a youth model of a Browning Silver, or SX-3, or an Affinity, as the price is reasonable for a long term shotgun. As far as where they are made, being made in Italy is not a requirement to be a good quality shotgun, the Browning and Winchester semi autos are just as good if comparing shotguns in the same price range.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-20-2022 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The issue being, that if you have a smaller 10 year old, they need a youth model, both for length of pull, and generally a shorter barrel that they can swing easier. You can add shims every couple of years to increase the length of pull, but in four or five years they will likely need a full sized stock. So unless you plan on buying a full sized stock, you will end up passing the gun on to another youth , or selling it. And a smaller 10 year old may not do well with the recoil of even a 20 gauge pump action.
So while I generally don't believe in buying cheaper shotguns, buying something like a Weatherby or Mossberg 20 gauge semi auto, for a small youth to use for a few years, isn't necessarily a bad idea. And when the youth outgrows it, they are quite easy to sell. For a small adult that isn't likely to grow much I would be looking at a youth model of a Browning Silver, or SX-3, as the price is reasonable for a long term shotgun.

You need to hold a Franchi Affinity 3 26" 20g one day elk. Light enough and short enough for a kid and big enough for most adults.

Re Turkish shotguns. For the short or long term buying cheap just because, is more expensive in the long run. Big pass on Mossbergs, Winchester SXP, etc.

Last edited by 270person; 03-20-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
You need to hold a Franchi Affinity 3 26" one day elk.
I have held them, but I would never own one, because they don't fit me. I have also owned two A400s, and a SBE2, which I sold, because they didn't fit right, even after adjusting the shims. When I sold the A400s and the SBE2, I kept an SX-3, and I used it right up until I came across a deal on a Maxus that I just couldn't pass up, last spring. Now the SX-3 is my backup. My semi autos are by far my lowest priced shotguns, but they fit me, and they are reliable, so I don't care what brand name is stamped on them.
I don't own any Turkish guns myself, but I also don't own any Italian guns either, but then again my shotgun budget is quite generous, so I buy what I like, regardless of where it is made.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-20-2022 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have held them, but I would never own one, because they don't fit me. I have also owned two A400s, and a SBE2, which I sold, because they didn't fit right, even after adjusting the shims. When I sold the A400s and the SBE2, I kept an SX-3, and I used it right up until I came across a deal on a Maxus that I just couldn't pass up, last spring. Now the SX-3 is my backup. My semi autos are by far my lowest price shotguns, but they fit me, and they are reliable, so I don't care what brand name is stamped on them.
I don't own any Turkish guns myself, but I also don't own any Italian guns either, but then again my shotgun budget is quite generous, so I buy what I like, regardless of where it is made.

We all like what we own and works for us. Beretta and Franchi fit me just fine even tho they are very different shotguns, and so did the Belgian built Browning A5 12g I bought after starting out with my grandpa's1907 Iver Johnson 28g. Benelli pumps not so much but when they're fool around camp guns using buckshot or slugs I could care less. Cheap but still decently made vs most low end offshore brands.

I dont spend large $$ on SA shotguns either but still won't buy junk.

Most important thing I did to make me a decent at best shotgunner? Hunt Hungarian partridge and sharptails for 5 yrs before I ever held a bead on anything waterfowl. If you can semi consistently make doubles on huns, ducks and geese aren't too tough. There were no sporting clays way back then and skeet ranges were few and far between in Sask.

Last edited by 270person; 03-20-2022 at 10:18 AM.