Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-17-2022, 11:16 AM

Default Moving a gunsafe in Calgary

Does anyone know a company in Calgary that will move a gunsafe for a reasonable price ? It’s not a huge safe ,320 lbs . One outfit wanted nearly $600. Just want it moved from garage to basement
Old 03-17-2022, 11:58 AM

Buy a good dolly for less than 100$, call a friend and move it yourself. You'll have the dolly for life or resell it for 80% of what you paid for it.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:18 PM

I did the same, for similar size weight safe. Advice:
* should have 4 people, to avoid injuries or death because the safe tipped over while descending stairs. Two below and two above. Stronger folks at top.
* aplliance dolly from uhaul...particularly for the long hadle bar. Plus add additional ratchet steps to make it super steady.
* measure door way and path to ensure you can navigate through the home and staircase.
* some safes will allow you to slide out the door from hinges, saving 30* or more of weight. Just be aware that putting it back is not always simple , especially if safe twists and shifts while moving. I avoided this step.

* lastly, plenty goodies to celebrate at end of the move

-Reza
Old 03-17-2022, 12:48 PM

Isn't it funny, that is the kind of job that you either pay a stranger a ton of money to do, or you get your friends to do it for beer.
There is no half way in between option.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:54 PM

I bought a safe from Costco a few years aback, it took two of us to move it to the basement. Use the appliance dolly with the stair climbing option(like a rubber belt on the bottom that can slide on the stairs) and make sure you can strap the safe to the dolly. You can also call any local appliance store and ask them if they can help you moving it. It’s no different for them than to move a big fridge… Shouldn’t cost you more than $100.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:53 PM

A buddy needed a safe moved like you. He called a pool table mover. An appliance guy is a good idea too....

I just hate strangers in my house; who knows if they may be casing the place whilst helping you...?

Just be careful who you hire and yes I was a victim of a B&E at a loss of $18K...guns, ammo, tools, clothing.....etc.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 03-17-2022, 02:06 PM

The door is often 30% the weight of the safe and many come off.

I moved a 303lbs safe with 3 people. Took the door off and 200-220lbs for three people with straps and blankets is not that difficult.
Old 03-17-2022, 05:04 PM

A good appliance dolly can also be rented, that & two buddies should do the trick. With a heavy moving blanket, it’s also easy to lay them down and then ski them down the stairs with a a guide at the bottom and a few dudes up top on a rope as brake-men. Of course, much depends on how well that rope is attached so keep the expendable guy at the bottom

One could even use a repurposed water heater box ratchet-strapped around in in lieu of a moving blanket. I wind up with those regularly
Old 03-17-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
keep the expendable guy at the bottom
That would be TreeGuy in case anyone is wondering.

I once moved an upright piano about that weight in an older house basement with L shaped stairs. Two big guys at the top to wedge their shoulders into each other and the walls. Couple of smaller guys at the bottom to protect the back wall when it let loose!

Those big straps that movers use, work well too.

https://www.uline.ca/BL_1334/Shoulde...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 03-17-2022, 06:54 PM

I would check with a rental company and see if they have one of these Escalera stair climbers for rent. Shippers supply sells these, they may possible know who rents them out. One person can move that safe with this unit I have one, but I am in the Edmonton area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2022, 07:36 PM

Just did a buddies last weekend. 4 of us ratchet strapped it to a mastercraft dolly with big rubber tires and hauled it into the basement with little trouble. 2 guys in front and 2 guys at the top. His was easy as he’s in a new house and basement isn’t finished yet.

When I did mine once I got it into the house I used a bunch of wooden dowelings to roll it across the floor. My wife would set them in front and I could roll the safe wherever I wanted. Could probably also use golf balls.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:16 PM

I used my quad directly out my front door, safe on a dolly in house laid down hovering over stairs.
I then used a snatch block and winch cable back to quad. Snatch block was tied to dolly, cardboard on ceramic stair entrance. let out winch line a little at a time and it slowly went into the basement.
My wife was impressed but not impressed, lol as she was on nights and I was relaying what was about to unfold.
Nobody died and I can back it up with pictures, lol.
Getting it out will suck, or it stays when we sell the house.
BTW anyone looking for 20 acres with a log home in Redwater, we're looking to sell in May. Might come with a free unsafe.

Tullfan
Old 03-18-2022, 12:39 AM

Couple buddies, a dolly along with some pizza & beer for after. 320 lbs isn't too unreasonable as long as you don't have any space restrictions. My safe weighs nearly 750 and barring stairs its remarkably easy to move around.

The stair climber mentioned above would be the easiest and safest though if you can rent one.
Old 03-18-2022, 12:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
Couple buddies, a dolly along with some pizza & beer for after. 320 lbs isn't too unreasonable as long as you don't have any space restrictions. My safe weighs nearly 750 and barring stairs its remarkably easy to move around.

The stair climber mentioned above would be the easiest and safest though if you can rent one.

X2

Three guys to move my 750# safe downstairs. Two guys and a good dolly easily moved it out and three guys into its new location.

320# is an easy move with two guys and the right dolly.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:22 AM

Default F Dolly

A couple guys and a Fridge dolly. The kind that has the strap to secure the load to the dolly and has the fan belt wheel things/ conveyor on the back.

If you need one, contact me. I'm between Calgary and Cochrane or I think Home Depot rents them.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
I used my quad directly out my front door, safe on a dolly in house laid down hovering over stairs.
I then used a snatch block and winch cable back to quad. Snatch block was tied to dolly, cardboard on ceramic stair entrance. let out winch line a little at a time and it slowly went into the basement.
My wife was impressed but not impressed, lol as she was on nights and I was relaying what was about to unfold.
Nobody died and I can back it up with pictures, lol.
Getting it out will suck, or it stays when we sell the house.
Now that is my kind of MacGyvering

Quote:
BTW anyone looking for 20 acres with a log home in Redwater, we're looking to sell in May. Might come with a free unsafe.

Tullfan
Tell me more... A bit north for Mrs. ARG, but who knows.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-22-2022, 03:29 PM

I have a 2000lb safe that I need to move from the garage to the foyer (about 40', same level but through a door. Thinking pallet jack but always looking for a better way.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-22-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Now that is my kind of MacGyvering

Tell me more... A bit north for Mrs. ARG, but who knows.

ARG
20 acres, all new 4 strand fencing, automatic gate on drive way. 1 km off hi way 28, and 5 km to Redwater. no neighbours for 2km. Beaver pond on property so there's that, moose and deer a plenty. Trees and gras everywhere.
The house is vinyl sided and open concept log inside. Finished basement with in floor heating. 5 bedrooms 3 baths, 3 car garage and a shop.
Wife took a job Back down south in Cartland so we be moving, lol.
See what happens. Pics to any one interested.

Tullfan
Old 03-22-2022, 10:12 PM

Quote:
20 acres, all new 4 strand fencing, automatic gate on drive way. 1 km off hi way 28, and 5 km to Redwater. no neighbours for 2km. Beaver pond on property so there's that, moose and deer a plenty. Trees and gras everywhere.
The house is vinyl sided and open concept log inside. Finished basement with in floor heating. 5 bedrooms 3 baths, 3 car garage and a shop.

Tullfan

Now where am I going to get my motorcycle fixed huh?

Give me back my Leupold ya bugger.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:

Tullfan
Is the shop heated?