Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-06-2022, 11:05 AM

Default Gun Vice Advice

I'm looking to see what people are using for their gun vices. It's time to get one and I'm wondering if the $40 option at Cabelas will work or if there are things to consider when buying one. Thanks in advance for the support.
Old 03-06-2022, 11:11 AM

If all you want is something to facilitate cleaning, an MTM, red plastic job works just fine. If you want to work on guns, then the higher cost versions like the tipton are worth the price.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:11 AM

I have the Tiptons best vise. It works but it doesn't clamp tight on the stock. Being plastic, the more I tighten it, the more it spreads apart. Which is annoying when mounting scopes. It let's the rifle move around a bit. That's my only issue with it.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2022, 11:12 AM

Dean beat me to it. The lower one pictured is the one I have.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:14 AM

Use a bench vice.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-06-2022, 11:19 AM

For most stuff I can use the Tipton love installing sights, scorching bores or mounting scopes etc., but sometimes I use my bench vice if I have to use a lot of torque .
Cat
Old 03-06-2022, 12:13 PM

Have the Tipton. Doesn't clamp super tight but also haven't had any problems with it so ya. Also have a bench vice.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:26 PM

I have a Tipton and a good quality ( not Chinese) bench vise. For the most part the Tipton gets minimal use. If u want a self contained unit the Tipton is the one
Old 03-06-2022, 12:32 PM

For heavier work on stocks etc I use a vise where the head and base are infinitely adustable and rotate left, right, on any angle and the head rotatesw as well..

With the cork padded add on aluminum jaws it holds wood with no marking. Works great for carving and rasp work etc on gun stocks.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
For heavier work on stocks etc I use a vise where the head and base are infinitely adustable and rotate left, right, on any angle and the head rotatesw as well..

With the cork padded add on aluminum jaws it holds wood with no marking. Works great for carving and rasp work etc on gun stocks.

I have one of these I’d part with for the right price if someone is interested.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-06-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I have the Tiptons best vise. It works but it doesn't clamp tight on the stock. Being plastic, the more I tighten it, the more it spreads apart. Which is annoying when mounting scopes. It let's the rifle move around a bit. That's my only issue with it.

Yep, that’s about the only issue with it that I experienced as well. I wouldn’t call it that big of a deal though as it does hold the rifle pretty tight or tight enough (unless a guy needs to apply a great deal of torque). I simply level the rifle, if necessary, and tighten it making sure it is level or adjust it after the fact. I think it is a great vise.
Old 03-06-2022, 03:36 PM

I have a wood gun vice I made years ago off a pic I found on the internet. I mostly use a bench vice that has all the swivel options. I made a set of jaw blocks out of wood that I cut a triangular notch into so it will clamp on a barrel. It works great
Old 03-06-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Yep, that’s about the only issue with it that I experienced as well. I wouldn’t call it that big of a deal though as it does hold the rifle pretty tight or tight enough (unless a guy needs to apply a great deal of torque). I simply level the rifle, if necessary, and tighten it making sure it is level or adjust it after the fact. I think it is a great vise.

Mines never failed to hold my rifles firmly with all variety of stock configurations. Not sure what guys are doing to create enough torque that they won't hold. I use mine for cleaning and scope mounting.

CZ .22's can be tight buggers to run a cleaning rod through with a standard .22 brush or jag but thats a no no anyways.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Mines never failed to hold my rifles firmly with all variety of stock configurations. Not sure what guys are doing to create enough torque that they won't hold. I use mine for cleaning and scope mounting.

CZ .22's can be tight buggers to run a cleaning rod through with a standard .22 brush or jag but thats a no no anyways.
Things like opening up barrel channels and mortising magazine wells quite often requires a vice becauseone slip and the stock is ruined , and forget about stuff like a barrel swap, that requires a vice.
Cat
Cat
Old 03-06-2022, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-06-2022, 06:19 PM

This is the type I built for cleaning. Works great for cleaning type jobs

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2022, 07:37 AM

If you go Tipton at Cabela's, wait for them to go on sale... I got the Tipton Best Gun Vice about a year ago for $79.99... They're typically $179.99... Not sure how they can charge so much for a Tupperware men's toy? As it was, I paid too much for that mediocre engineered plastic gun clamp.... If I were to do it again, I'd construct my own...
Old 03-07-2022, 09:50 AM

I just use a large, ancient, swivel-base Craftsman bench vise that is mounted on an open corner of my workshop countertop. I cut some wooden vise jaw inserts out of plywood that I further pad with a folded up green wool Leupold scope "mat" that used to come with new scopes. Doesn't damage the stock, steel components or bows when I clamp them to work on them. Even built some offset wood blocks to get things further away from the countertop when necessary. Rarely a day goes by that the vise doesn't serve as the stable third hand for some cleaning, repair or fabrication job.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:46 PM

I have one of these, although mine has been modified a bit. I see they are now discontinued, but Hyskore does have some other models.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-24-2022, 09:25 PM

Not sure what shipping charges are like: https://northprosports.com/index.php...roduct_id=6091

Old 03-24-2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
This is the type I built for cleaning. Works great for cleaning type jobs

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Yes. I did the fort sandflat one. 30 years old and still awesome. Lined it with leather