Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2021, 07:31 PM

Default live edge bar top/Basement Bar reno

Thinking of updating my basement bar and may go with a live edge bar top and possibly epoxy on the other counter top. (overtop of the laminate countertop)
Does anyone have any tips, tricks, places to find live edge wood, I will finish it myself, just looking for the raw wood. About 11 feet long and 20-24 inches wide.
Also thinking of the rustic look for the walls/décor. Maybe old barn wood/reclaimed etc. Any tips on where to find such items, hopefully not an expensive antique shop... LOL. Ideally maybe I will look for a landowner with an old past its prime barn/building and I can gather it myself.
Any place that has bar décor would be great as well. Any and all ideas appreciated. Rustic/wildlife/outdoors theme is what Im interested in.

Thanks for any info/tips in advance.

CDN
Old 01-07-2021, 07:42 PM

Telling us where you live would help. There are many sawmills around rural AB that could cut you a slab for the live edge.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:55 PM

Just an FYI that little desk has 200 bucks worth of epoxy in it and all that is is 2 inches wide and 2 inches deep by 30 inches long, if you are doing anywhere near 11 feet of epoxy even a thin layer it has to be cheaper to go granite, unless you just want epoxy in that case fill your boots

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2021, 07:58 PM

Atlantic Wood Products in Sherwood Park is my go too for live edge stuff now. Generally half the price of Windsor Plywood and they seem to have better grain patterns as well. Unfortunately they are closed due to covid but call them anyways as they might be willing to work something out.
http://www.atlanticwoodproducts.net/About-Us.html

If your going to epoxy the wood yourself I would not suggest going to a sawmill as the wood needs to be very dry or the epoxy will bubble or turn hazy. If you decide to go with the "river look" to fill any cracks or voids in the wood the heat from the epoxy can cause damp wood that is dry to the touch to seriously warp. And go with a good quality epoxy.

There are plenty of Youtube videos on how to apply the epoxy properly.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-07-2021, 08:21 PM

Default Calgary area live edge epoxy

This store is a good source for great advice with regard to live edge projects. They do see to sell everything you need, but they seem to be low on epoxy stock often. They also have a whole other warehouse of live edge wood dry and ready to go.

https://blackforestwood.com

Skull man
Old 01-07-2021, 08:58 PM

My folks are removing aged siding on their barn currently and replacing with new. They've been saving and are willing to sell it. How many square feet are you looking for?
Old 01-08-2021, 12:52 AM

Try Minchau Lumber out of Millet. They have a saw mill so they might cut to measurement.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-08-2021, 01:28 AM

I had to read it twice,epoxy over laminate sink top?
Old 01-08-2021, 06:43 AM

Atlantic, Windsor Plywood, most sawmills, or Kijiji should have what you're looking for.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:55 AM

Default Live Edge

You can also try Woodchuks, Sandhills Manufacturing, or Gary Channon in Edmonton
Old 01-08-2021, 11:39 AM

Epoxy is so expensive, I can't see you being happy with an epoxy covered laminate counter top. If you want a laminate counter top, just do that without anything extra on top of it.

I've got a pretty healthy supply of copper sheeting on hand, if you are interested in a copper counter top or a copper sink to put in something like a concrete counter we should talk. A good copper sink from a reliable manufacturer is going to cost you an absolute arm and a leg, but I'm just in it for the hobby so can do copper work for way less. I'm also set up with a forge and can do some cool forged ironwork if you are into that sort of thing.

Also, for any wood slab you want to make sure its kiln dried hardwood. Big slabs of softwood can be cool in certain situations, but a counter/table/anything that actually is in regular use really needs to be kiln dried hardwood.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:31 PM

Not what you asked for, but give this video a little watch. Might inspire you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T7mYB6x68DY
Old 01-08-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF View Post
Epoxy is so expensive, I can't see you being happy with an epoxy covered laminate counter top. If you want a laminate counter top, just do that without anything extra on top of it.
Are you saying they won't be happy because it's expensive or it's expensive and they won't be happy?

Some relatives have all their kitchen counter tops epoxied and they love it. Not sure why someone wouldn't be happy with. Most expensive things I have are great.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Are you saying they won't be happy because it's expensive or it's expensive and they won't be happy?

Some relatives have all their kitchen counter tops epoxied and they love it. Not sure why someone wouldn't be happy with. Most expensive things I have are great.
Haha, most expensive things do tend to be great.

What I was meaning to say is that the (typically) main point of epoxy is to add an aesthetic property to a piece, to enhance it, such as filling voids in a gnarled hardwood slab. It is also a tough surface, and unfortunately expensive. It seems, from my perspective which is obviously an opinion, and we all know what those are like, that if you spend all that money on epoxy you probably don't want to be putting an inexpensive laminate under it. It just seems like mixing cheap with expensive, or just adding an extremely expensive step to a laminate which is designed to be an inexpensive hard wearing surface. You would also probably have to sand a laminate surface in order to get the epoxy to bond; the pattern or finished look of laminate is only on the surface so your quickly going to get something that looks like poo.

I could be way out to lunch here, and I'm definitely biased when comparing quality of a laminate product to that of a nice, raw material like hardwood. My image of laminate products is definitely the cheap junk that was in my first rental apartment I'm also not a pro reno or home builder, but I do put a lot of time and effort into a lot of different projects and have a firm understanding that while materials are expensive, they are a relatively small cost compared to the huge amount of man hours that go into a sweet custom job. Thus, in my humble opinion, comparing a hardwood counter or a nice concrete counter with epoxy on it to a piece of laminate with epoxy, it seems like a pretty clear outcome that one would be more satisfied with the first option.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the info and tips guys. Sorry I should have mentioned I am in the Calgary Area.
There is already cheap laminate counter tops on the bar now, I was thinking of pouring an epoxy over top. I hate the laminate so looking for different things to do to it. The bar top I think I will do a live edge hardwood of some type. (something maybe exotic with character). I just discovered Black Forest in Calgary this week, wow do they do some incredible work (YouTube videos). For my feature wall, Im thinking some type of barn wood/reclaimed wood and old weathered wood for shelving. Had a thought of making mini barn doors for the liquor cabinet/shelves.
As for total sq feet on the feature wall, likely in the 300sq/ft+ as I think Im going to do the wall below the bar as we and a couple side walls.
Likely will paint over the cabinet doors too, don't like the color that's on it.

Big Lou, I will send you a PM

Will be looking for bar fridge/undermount fridge/wine fridge/icemaker/dishwasher etc.

Thank for all tips and opinions, appreciate them all.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
Not what you asked for, but give this video a little watch. Might inspire you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T7mYB6x68DY
Thanks for the video, pretty cool and looks easy to do. But I don't think I want to use concrete for this project. Maybe for an our door kitchen countertop though.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:56 PM

I do a lot of laminate counter tops,I can help you put something new on if you need it.
I also do cement tops.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
Thanks for the info and tips guys. Sorry I should have mentioned I am in the Calgary Area.
There is already cheap laminate counter tops on the bar now, I was thinking of pouring an epoxy over top. I hate the laminate so looking for different things to do to it. The bar top I think I will do a live edge hardwood of some type. (something maybe exotic with character). I just discovered Black Forest in Calgary this week, wow do they do some incredible work (YouTube videos). For my feature wall, Im thinking some type of barn wood/reclaimed wood and old weathered wood for shelving. Had a thought of making mini barn doors for the liquor cabinet/shelves.
As for total sq feet on the feature wall, likely in the 300sq/ft+ as I think Im going to do the wall below the bar as we and a couple side walls.
Likely will paint over the cabinet doors too, don't like the color that's on it.

Big Lou, I will send you a PM

Will be looking for bar fridge/undermount fridge/wine fridge/icemaker/dishwasher etc.

Thank for all tips and opinions, appreciate them all.
I’ve purchased barnwood and/ or reclaimed wood off of Kijiji a few times in the Calgary area from various locations. However, the last time I found an individual that has an ongoing operation demolishing old buildings. He has barnwood but also old doors, windows, flooring, beams etc. He is near Calaway Park. I’m not sure if I can post the Kijiji links but it is one of the first hits of you search Barnwood. Otherwise, PM me and I can send you the link. Lots of selection and really reasonable prices.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:32 PM

did you get my PM Fishy? please send me the link and I will contact them.
thanks
Old 01-11-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
did you get my PM Fishy? please send me the link and I will contact them.
thanks
Sent you a PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:57 PM

Default Wood

Lichtenberg fractal burning is quite amazing, with or without a coloured epoxy enhancement. I would love to try it next.
The slab of mappa burl i used for a coffee was 9’ long, about 22” averaged out and came from windsor plywood. Zero issues with moisture and it turned out quite well. The hours though...i just stopped counting at 36.