Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-04-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Skull cap removal

I am wondering where is the correct place to cut off the skull cap if I want to get a deer mounted. I caped the deer at the time and froze the head thinking that I might mount the deer. I still haven't decided but need the space and need to get the head in for CWD testing. Normally I am not to worried about where I cut but I am not sure how much skull cap they need to mount the head. Any help would be great from guys that have prepared heads (guides) or any taxidermists out there.

I am thinking from the eye socket down and from the back straight across..top of brain.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:34 PM

Hey,
They dont need a pile of skull cap, but I always leave them with enough. You can usually go above the eyes and just cut at an angle, and then do the same from behind (1-2") and form a nice triangle. Not a problem to leave more than needed....and most taxidermists can work with a little amount as well. Just take enough that the skull is solid and not going to break on you.....
Old 11-04-2007, 01:39 PM

that sounds right....strait down in front of the horns to half way through the eye scocket then to the back of the skull, make sure you leave lots of skull, the taxe. will cut of what he does'nt need....
Old 11-04-2007, 04:59 PM

Default best mounts

If you want the best quality mount, cut through the eye socket, this gives him the ability to set the eyes and work from there. I've seen some horrible mounts come from a short skull cap, tryed telling 'em. Its way easier to get the rack angle right when there's the sockets for reference. But hey, it's your money
Old 11-04-2007, 05:03 PM

Good point wonka....and I actually have a deer that the angle is slightly off because of that.....tilted back further than it actually should be......
Old 11-04-2007, 05:35 PM

Default thanks

thanks for the advice..I decided to go in half way from the socket and gave some extra room from the back. I think there is still plenty of brain matter and the glands to test for CWD and still have the proper skull cap.