Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-31-2007, 11:14 AM

THE BUSHNELL CUSTOM COMPACT
6X BY 25MM BINOCULARS

Hi guys,
This is for all the old timers that bought small binoculars in the 70’s.

This was the most popular and highly regarded binoculars in the decade of the seventies and beyond, five guys in my hunting club had them, I bought one in the middle seventies and another for my wife a couple of years later.

Mine had the center screw hinge attachment for the strap and my wife’s was a little more modern with the strap attachments on the side of the body.

In the pictures you can see my wife’s binocular with the optional rubber covering that was sold by Bushnell, it makes the binocular appear a little bigger, but it was a great noise reducer and helped with grasping the small binocular.
It will be a surprise to many to learn that the Custom Compact is still made today by Bushnell, in a slightly changed outside appearance, with a street price of about $220USD.
However they sell the 7x26, instead of the six powers. I consider the six power a better magnification for small binoculars as the exit pupil is 4.16 mm, a much better aperture for looking under low light conditions.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell...rs-120726.html

Hope you guys have enjoyed the trip down memory lane.
All the best

Watchmaker
Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 AM

thanks for the info watchmaker it came at the right time i'm looking for a good set of bino's had anought of the cheap ones

a quick questions looking through the cabelas on line and knowing nothing about optics i was wondering which bino's would be more suited for the bush that i usually hunt 8x42(330ft)or the 12x56(288) and what is ment by those numbers

Last edited by mud slug; 10-31-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:44 PM

For the bush the least magnification the better, if you can find a good binocular in your price range, get a 6x30or 6x by 32.

The first number is the magnification (for ej. 6 times) the second number is the diameter of objective in mm.

If the hunt you do is in very dark timber, get the bigger aperture (to gather more light) for example 8x 56mm.

Most bush hunting can profit from a 6x30 or 32mm.

The 8x is more than you need for the bush and the 10x is overkill, hard to hold and with little FOV (field of view) at the short distances of bush huinting.

For many years my favorite was the Bushnell 6x by 25mm, today my favorite for the bush and deep woods is the Leupold Katmai 6x32 or the Leupold Yosemite 6x 30 mm

Cheers
Watchmaker
Old 11-01-2007, 06:37 PM

thanks for yhe info watchmaker just got off the cabelas website i ordered the nikon monarch in the 8x32 can't wait to get them and see the difference a good set of optics makes to bad it take 5to7 days to get them love to have them for this weekend
Old 11-04-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Question for Watchmaker

Is there some spotting scopes that can rival the European at Japanize prices like the binos can?