Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-31-2007, 05:00 PM
Banned

Default MD in 166

Hey guys. My Brother has pulled a Trophy MD tag in 166. Do to some guys canceling out on him at the last minute, he wants me to come along with him.
Now I know my way around the big ranch north of Delia and of course the grassing lease on the south and west side of the Ranch.. But other than that I haven't explored the WMU that much..
Does anyone have any suggestions as to where else to look for a good Mule?
I have heard a bit about just north of Hanna, but like I said, I haven't been over that way.
Any help would be most appreciated as I think he will only have 2 chances to hunt this WM this year.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 11-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Banned

Well, looks like we will have more people coming with us.
Turns out in our group we have 2 Bull Moose tags, 1 Cow moose tag and 2 MD tags.. So it looks like we will be on the Ranch and area.
Anyone seen any moose out that way this year?
Jamie
Old 11-01-2007, 09:21 PM

Hi there Jamie
I was out there today and we walked across the lease -->east to west.....in the end we saw 6 different bull moose including 1 that was all of 50+ inches (PM me for location) and around 8 cow/calf. No big MD or WT bucks to be found....yet
Cheers
Old 11-01-2007, 10:53 PM

Default 166

Let me know when you're coming Jamie. I was out this morning and didn't see a mule deer where I had permission. Lots of Whiteys, though. No keepers. One yote dumb ass. I missed him at 250 yds. No bipod. He came back out of the bush about 3 minutes later and hes now at the local buyers. Stinky Coyotes 270 Win shells worked great. No damage on a pass through. Sounds like the ranch will be the place for the moose as they are a little scarce the last couple of years. I'll keep looking for a good Mule but normally they aren't around or out until the 15th or so.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Banned

Bag.. We will be out on Saturday.. (I think at this point)
Just for the day.
I was thinking about spending the night in Drum, but with us not changeing the clocks till sunday.. It makes it a bit more resonable.
PM me your cell # and I will see if we can get together for a hello and compare some notes

Thanks
Jamie
Old 11-01-2007, 11:26 PM

Going to 166 myself in about 6 hrs .
I have not hunted there in 10 years.
Wow your group has 2 bull moose tags and one cow tag.
A 166 moose tag is like priority...(25) . It's like Green Bay Packer season tickets.
You put in for your first born and when they turn 30 they might be on the short list.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Banned

Timo.. Yes I agrre.. Pulling a moose tag out there is something to concentrate on. Once I pull mine in Approx 2 years.. THATS IT FOR ME! I used my first one on a paddler.. I will not let that happen again

What are you looking for out there?

Jamie
Old 11-01-2007, 11:53 PM

Jamie , It's all MD does for us this year. And maybe a whitetail buck for my nephew who at 15 is charged a whopping $7.00 for the tag.

I have not been to 166 in a while but I remember driving in the lease and coming up on a bachelor party of 8 bull moose!
It was Nov and 0le 166 was the Thur Fri Sat only hunt and to this day I and the others in our group cannot belive what our eyes saw.
A herd of Bull moose!
Even 10 years ago it was a tough draw to get. But moose were every where
and if you shot one very accessable.
Good luck

Anyhow time for bed I have to get up early.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Banned

Succesful day!
We ended up with 2 Mule Bucks and a Mule Doe. We saw 4 Bull moose, but nothing worth knocking down.
One of the bucks was taken by a high school kid and this was his first Mule.. Nice shot as well.
However when we gutted the Doe her Lungs were all messed up, I took a pic and will post it in another thread...
Good day, I enjoyed myself.
Lots of hunters out on the Lease.

Jamie