Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-24-2022, 07:34 AM

Default Be careful

Hi guys
Just a note to remember.
Bought some once fired 270 Weatherby brass.
Now normally I don't buy once fired rifle brass, but as everyone knows, Weatherby brass is bloody expensive, so I did.
Sized them all, and started load development, on one of the starting loads, I shot it, and when I went to extract the brass only the bottom of the brass came out, rim and belt.
What the hell I thought, I am at a low load, and should not be even close to over pressure.
SO I got out the magnifying glass and inspected each brass(100) 50 of the brass had up to 7 extractor marks on the headstamps(they were very light)
So this was obviously not once fired brass, but had been fired multiple times, and at max psi.
Threw out over 50 of the brass, was not going to chance this again.
Just something to think about when purchasing "once" fired brass.
Make sure you inspect it very closely.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:37 AM

Ill only buy once fired if they still have the factory primer. Pretty easy to tell. If the primers are removed i wont pay once fired prices..
Old 03-24-2022, 07:39 AM

You have had a rough week…
Old 03-24-2022, 07:40 AM

Default Used brass

I feel your pain, I have bought brass at Gun shows that were "once fired". Went to prime them and the primer pockets were loose on every one. Again, too much pressure expanded the case head. Threw it all out and haven't bought brass unless in new factory packaging.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:43 AM

I have always wondered just how a person could tell if brass was truly once fired, unless you could actually look and see if it had factory primers!
I cannot recall ever buying once fired brass but I have lots of brass that has factory primers that was given to me!
Cat
Old 03-24-2022, 07:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
You have had a rough week…
Ya no kidding eh!

That sucks.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-24-2022, 08:26 AM

I have seen factory Weatherby loads, fired in a factory Weatherby rifle, and every one had an ejector mark on the headstamp. The brass was scrap, after only one firing, because the primer pockets were loose. So while the brass may have been fired several times, that isn't always the case. I avoid once fired brass, especially at the prices some people are charging now.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:23 AM

Is there a definitive way to tell the difference between a factory primer and a primer that was replaced? I have heard that factory primers are gold colored and reloaded primers are silver but I know Hornady, for instance, uses silver colored primers from factory.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 03-24-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
Is there a definitive way to tell the difference between a factory primer and a primer that was replaced? I have heard that factory primers are gold colored and reloaded primers are silver but I know Hornady, for instance, uses silver colored primers from factory.
Even some of the reload primers are gold colored, I avoid fired brass, unless it's an obscure caliber I can't get any other way. .303 is always a gamble because of the sloppy chambers some have.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-24-2022, 01:01 PM

This thread has been very helpful. I've only bought once-fired brass one-time, and it was .223 from a very reliable source. Never thought to look at the primer, but never had an issue either. I've bought new brass maybe 5-6 times, and these days only use that, or, cases from factory ammo I've shot myself.

Quote:
^Actually, Hornady has jumped around a bit on that. I buy factory Hornady for one of my rifles, and the primers used to be all dull/brass colored. More recently, all silver. All of it branded "SuperPerformance". They may be all silver now/going forward. Don't know..?
Old 03-24-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Color doesn't mean a lot, but if you see sealer around the primer, most reloaders don't use a sealer.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:48 PM

I use a lot of once fired factory brass, often I am the guy that fired it in the first place because loaded ammo has got to the point where it is often cheaper than empty brass, particularly Weatherby. I have also used range pickup brass, which at least you don't pay for, and have never had an issue. As far as buying once fired brass, the only way I would do that is if I know the seller personally.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:59 AM

I use a metric tonne of once fired brass, but I also know my source. If I can I like to get my hands on stuff that was crimped or sealed so then it is easy to tell if it is once fired or not. Some Lapua factory stuff has a visible crimp and I used that for years and years with no issues.
Old 03-25-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Ill only buy once fired if they still have the factory primer. Pretty easy to tell. If the primers are removed i wont pay once fired prices..
100% If the primers are removed its probably been reloaded,why else would you do it.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
100% If the primers are removed its probably been reloaded,why else would you do it.
It also removes the sealer which is the only way you can tell its oncefired factory..no sealer and the brass is very suspect and i wouldnt pay anywhere near once fired price.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I bought 300 pieces of once fired 30-06 nosler brass and deprimed, tumbled, and bagged it. I did it because I was bored and itching to use the new tumbler and didn’t want to store long term while still dirty. I think I’ve only used about 80 of them in 4 years and none more than 3 firings on them now. Tragic loss of hobby time haha.