Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-21-2020, 11:39 PM

Default Shotguns?

I’m in the market for a new waterfowl shotgun. I want a semi-auto. Anyone know of somewhere to rent and try some out before I buy.
Also input on the new SBE III, A400 Extreme, or the A5 would be much appreciated.

Thanks Dan
Old 12-22-2020, 02:37 AM
Banned

I have a Benelli super black eagle and I’m happy with it.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:36 AM

I bought a Weatherby 18i, and am very happy.
Then again I was also happy with my Remington 11-87, and my Remington 870 before that.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-22-2020, 06:17 AM

Silver Willow Sporting Clays has rental shotguns that can be used on their course. The A400 is an excellent gun if it fits you , many people don't like the SBE3 , because it shoots very high.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:18 AM

Where are you located? What I would do is go to my local gun range in the summer on trap night and talk to guys shooting. Most will let you try their shotguns.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Where are you located? What I would do is go to my local gun range in the summer on trap night and talk to guys shooting. Most will let you try their shotguns.
Good point, most people at trap and skeet will allow other people to try their shotguns.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:36 AM

Arrow

I shoot an A400 for waterfowl and it is an absolute pleasure to shoot. I had a 870 Express that fit me great and I was able to shoot it well, but shooting 3 1/2 out of it was nasty especially when you were turned to follow fleeing birds. I swear it adjust your spine with one shot.
Out of the box I couldn’t hit a thing with that A400. Find flipped both guns on the rib and compared the combs. I need to use allot of the adjustment shims on that A400 to get it like that 870 but my shooting improved greatly.
I guess what I’m saying don’t discard a shotgun that you try because you can’t hit anything. The fit may need to be adjusted so your shoulder it and look down the rib correctly.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:29 PM

Bought a Weatherby Element and while not a shotgunner by any means I have been happy with it. 3 friends and I went out this past weekend and after 2 days of hunting shot 38 geese. (40 would have been a limit). Fit and finish on the gun is great and despite the reviews complaining about the small safety catch and the odd shaped recoil pad, those were a none issue for me.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:58 PM

Ya know Danno... I still got another silver shot Cooey....

The Sask boys would luv ya in the duck patch with that..
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 12-24-2020, 09:14 AM

I have an A5 I purchased new in 2018. I am very happy with it. The hump back feature for almost instant target acquisition.really allows.for speed and accuracy and has improved my shooting. The other feature I love is the speed load. It cycles well, and disassembly for cleaning is quick and easy.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:59 AM

In purchasing a new shotgun I narrowed it down to A400 extreme and SBE3. Settled on SBE3 it just fit me better.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:12 PM

Thanks fellas. Have co tatted silver willow and I’m going to go and try a few different ones.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:59 PM

I have an SBE3, but hunt with other guys that have the A400, Super Vinci and Weatherby. All are fantastic shooters. They will all cycle hunting or skeet rounds without issue. I’ve shot multiple boxes of 3-1/2 in a day while hunting snows and my shoulder wasn’t tender at all. It really comes down to fit and gas/inertia drive. I didn’t care much either way for the drive system although I think inertia system is a bit easier to clean. Gas is supposed to shoot softer on the shoulder but these new guns seem to eat up a lot of the recoil.

The major thing I noticed was the fit and feel. The Benelli fit me best and is a MUCH more streamlined gun. The A400 fees more substantial and bigger in the hands, not a knock in any way but it didn’t feel as comfortable to me personally.

Try em all and find the best fit but I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with any of them!
Old 01-01-2021, 11:03 PM

I have owned a few shotguns. Benelli black eagle, couple Vinci’s, a Browning A5, but I like my Winchester SX3 and 4 the most. All my shotguns have been reliable it just comes down to fit for me. The other thing is the inertia driven Benellis give you the click it’s any straw in the action or if they are a bit dirty and the action doesn’t slam closed. I hate having a bead on a fat green head and hearing click when I pull the trigger.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:47 PM
Banned

I own a mossberg 935. Never did waterfowl hunting with it. But did do alot of clay shooting, and grouse shooting with it.

Cheap and reliable imho. And alot of aftermarket parts as well.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
I have owned a few shotguns. Benelli black eagle, couple Vinci’s, a Browning A5, but I like my Winchester SX3 and 4 the most. All my shotguns have been reliable it just comes down to fit for me. The other thing is the inertia driven Benellis give you the click it’s any straw in the action or if they are a bit dirty and the action doesn’t slam closed. I hate having a bead on a fat green head and hearing click when I pull the trigger.
You learned the importance of fit , and your shooting has really developed since you started shooting skeet with us. It was a pleasure to hand you your patch for shooting your first clean round of skeet. And I am sure that you have also noticed the improvement shooting waterfowl.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Ya know Danno... I still got another silver shot Cooey....

The Sask boys would luv ya in the duck patch with that..
single shots for everyone
Old 03-23-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimog3 View Post
I’m in the market for a new waterfowl shotgun. I want a semi-auto. Anyone know of somewhere to rent and try some out before I buy.
Also input on the new SBE III, A400 Extreme, or the A5 would be much appreciated.

Thanks Dan
I bought an Ethos and its not bad
Old 03-23-2022, 10:49 AM

Old thread but heres some advice

Fit is EVERYTHING

I always said I can make a rifle fit you but I cant make a shotgun fit you.

You have to shoulder and raise quite a few to find your factory gun fit. A $5000 Beretta might be nice, but if it doesnt fit you, youll never shoot it well.

Any gunshop that sells you a new shotgun without you shouldering it and trying everything they have isnt really doing their job. Theyre just selling you something. The guy should be watching you shoulder it, watching where it hits your shoulder over and over, watching if your cheek hits the stock the same, watching if your head bobs or moves as you acquire your target.

To be honest, Ive talked more guys out of buying a certain shotgun than buying one because of what I saw when they shouldered and pointed it. Every shooter is different.

Walk into a shop, try everything. Take your time. The guy behind the counter should be patient and just keep watching you handle and shoulder shotguns. This isnt a 5 minute decision. Expect to spend time there.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 03-23-2022 at 10:59 AM.