Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-22-2022, 08:29 AM

Default Left hand 17hmr: Anschutz vs Browning vs Tikka

So I'm looking at getting a new 17hmr and these are my 3 choices.

The Tikka T1X is the least expensive. Blued, synthetic. I like that it claims to mimic the full-sized T3X action.

The browning T bolt target has a heavy barrel and I am intrigued by both the strait pull action and the magazine design.

The Anschutz 1517 is the most expensive and likely the most esthetically pleasing of the three. Also possibly the most accurate.

My concerns are, bolt to scope clearance (my CZ rubbed the scope bell unless I put high rings on it), magazine function (every 17hmr rifle I've owned - a couple of Savages and even the CZ - would nose rounds up unless I pushed up on the magazines before chambering a round. My A17 factory magazine would not function at all) and barrel fouling. The CZ was great, but the savages tended to foul quickly, like every 20-30 shots or so I would be cleaning the barrels.

My questions: who owns one of these three? How reliable are the magazines? How easy are they to scope? How quickly do they foul? And of course, how accurate are they?

A fourth competitor is a Henry Varmint Express, simply because I love lever actions and already own several Henry rifles. This would probably be the least accurate of the bunch and a bit of a pain to clean, but with good AO reviews I would consider moving it up in the rankings.

Thanks,

Colin
Old 03-22-2022, 08:43 AM

I've got a Weatherby XXII (Anschutz match 64 action) and it certainly doesn't marr the tip of the bullet when loading. I suspect the new Anschutz would be similar - that's my vote.

Last edited by pittman; 03-22-2022 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:46 AM

If the Browning T is anything like their 22's it will by far be the least accurate.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:54 AM

I am a lefty too, Brewster is spot on about the T-Bolt. Owned 2 in 22 and at least 2 in 17 HMR. Sold all of them because they wouldn't shoot up to the level I expected. You missed Savage in your options. The two I have had were are as accurate as my CZ 452s and my Anschutz. I sold both after about 20,000 rounds each and they would still shoot well under .75 of an inch at 100 yards. If I had to choose between the Anschutz and the CZ, I would keep the CZ, and I am usually a big Anschutz fan. Never tried a T1X. Llke any Rfire, ammo is a big or bigger a factor affecting accuracy in a lot of cases.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I am a lefty too, Brewster is spot on about the T-Bolt. Owned 2 in 22 and at least 2 in 17 HMR. Sold all of them because they wouldn't shoot up to the level I expected. You missed Savage in your options. The two I have had were are as accurate as my CZ 452s and my Anschutz. I sold both after about 20,000 rounds each and they would still shoot well under .75 of an inch at 100 yards. If I had to choose between the Anschutz and the CZ, I would keep the CZ, and I am usually a big Anschutz fan. Never tried a T1X. Llke any Rfire, ammo is a big or bigger a factor affecting accuracy in a lot of cases.
Hi Dean.

I've had a few savages. Two 93's: a thumb hole stainless and a bare bones basic. Both shot amazingly, but diddling with the mags and the quick fouling got me selling them. My A17, once bedded and using an aftermarket mag, shot ok, but not great. A few stellar groups but most skirting moa.

The more I'm looking I to the browning, the less interested in it I am. The 1517 is built on that 64 action and they are reputed to be excellent shooters. I've never had one so there is still a degree of uncertainty. As for the Tikka, it would be nice to have a rimfire that feels just like getting behind my T3X. And I've never had a Tikka that wasn't accurate.

Just waiting for a few folks to tell me how great or bad the Anschutz or the Tikka is I guess.

Colin
Old 03-22-2022, 10:18 AM

Own 5 CZ 17hmr and not once have I had the issue you mention. Other than minor trigger tweaks on a couple they've been bombproof and ridiculously accurate. They improve the more you shoot them.

I would only buy the Tikka if it was in the 625 or lower bracket, think Brownings are nice to look at, done, and have heard nothing but good about Anschutz outside of some extractor issues on some models. Cant justify the price for any minor accuracy improvements so:

CZ.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:21 AM

The Tikka is the best value of the three, and the Anschutz is the nicest rifle, I wouldn't bother with the Browning. As far as accuracy goes, you need to try various loads, to see what works best in your rifle , testing loads in my own 17hmr rifles, accuracy varied greatly with the load, even though several loads used the same 17gr v-max bullet.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-22-2022 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-22-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
Hi Dean.

I've had a few savages. Two 93's: a thumb hole stainless and a bare bones basic. Both shot amazingly, but diddling with the mags and the quick fouling got me selling them. My A17, once bedded and using an aftermarket mag, shot ok, but not great. A few stellar groups but most skirting moa.

The more I'm looking I to the browning, the less interested in it I am. The 1517 is built on that 64 action and they are reputed to be excellent shooters. I've never had one so there is still a degree of uncertainty. As for the Tikka, it would be nice to have a rimfire that feels just like getting behind my T3X. And I've never had a Tikka that wasn't accurate.

Just waiting for a few folks to tell me how great or bad the Anschutz or the Tikka is I guess.

Colin
If you were near Edmonton I would let you try my Anschutz. They are as always a very well made rifle. Very accurate, and a pleasure to hold and shoot. You cannot go wrong with one, and since CZ no longer makes the 452 LH it is what I would definitely buy out of the available options. Only reason I like the CZ is they were about half the cost of the Anschutz. I sell my 17 HMR when they hit 20,000 rounds. At that level they still have at least 15,000 rounds of quality accuracy left, which is more than most guys will ever shoot one.

Given the price difference, I could have two CZs on hand for the cost of one Anschutz. I just sold my older CZ as it hit the 20,000 mark and broke out the last new CZ I had in reserve. I only use the Anschutz lightly because I don't want to replace it, but if I mile out the last CZ, the Anschutz will get pressed into service. Still looking for a new in box or lightly used 452 LH as a backup but man they are hard to find now.

When you figure the price of shooting 20,000 17 HMR, the cost of the gun is kind of irrelevant. If you are ever headed this way, PM me.
Old 03-22-2022, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the offer, Dean. Unfortunately I don't make it up your way very often. And its true, the price of the rifle can quickly pale next to the cost of shooting it. Actually, the price difference between the Anschutz and the Tikka is not that significant.

And Elk is right about rifles performing differently with various ammo. The trick is finding the right load for it, then finding enough of it in stock.

Thanks guys

Colin
Old 03-22-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
Thanks for the offer, Dean. Unfortunately I don't make it up your way very often. And its true, the price of the rifle can quickly pale next to the cost of shooting it. Actually, the price difference between the Anschutz and the Tikka is not that significant.

And Elk is right about rifles performing differently with various ammo. The trick is finding the right load for it, then finding enough of it in stock.

Thanks guys

Colin
I tested all of the various brands of ammo in the first few 17 HMR I had. I even Chronographed all the loads out of each gun. There was definitely a preference in some for 17 grain vs 20. All shot the 17 well, only some shot the 20 well. With respect to different makers of ammo, what I actually found is that the lot to lot differences were far larger than the maker to maker differences. For example, Federal 17 grain TNT tended to shoot good to excellent in every gun, but some batches were WAY better than others and the good batches shot better in all three guns than the poorer batches. When I found a really good batch I bought as much as I could lay my hands on and then just used it in whatever rifle I happened to be using.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:00 PM

I haven’t seen a browning t bolt that would shoot a decent group yet. If cost isn’t an issue I would buy the Annie although I wouldn’t be surprised if the Tikka shot just as well.
Old 03-22-2022, 02:24 PM

Default CZ

I know it wasn't one of your choices but CZ has started making a few 457's as lefties. Not sure about availability here.
Old 03-22-2022, 07:06 PM

Son has a lefty Savage and as was mentioned above it shoots great but I’ve got to mess with the mag at least once every 10 rounds. I’ve got both the tikka and an anschutz (22). Both shoot excellent, the anschutz is super smooth but let’s put it this way….. the shipping notification from P&D landed in my inbox about 3 hrs ago for a lefty tikka as it was best combination of price / accuracy/ smooth action.

If you have a membership at Shepard we might be able to meet up in a few weeks once I get it scoped, although I’m here is a risk of PD selling out. Was told they had a couple when I asked on Monday.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
. With respect to different makers of ammo, what I actually found is that the lot to lot differences were far larger than the maker to maker differences. ............. When I found a really good batch I bought as much as I could lay my hands on......
This is the truth. Most 17 hmr ammo is made by CCI. The only difference will be the colour of the tip.
When ammo testing, I'd buy a box of several different lots/brands and try them out. If you find one that shoots well for you buy as much as you can because next year that same brand may not shoot well for you. As with 22LR ammo, lot number can make as big of a difference as brand.

I have one rifle in 17hmr. It's a CZ and I like it a lot. If you can find one, I'd grab it up. The bolt contact with the eyepiece can be avoided by using most models of Leupold scopes. My 17hmr has a Bushnell 3500 on it and I have no issues with the bolt making contact. A scope with a small diameter ocular lens is the key to using the lowest rings possible.

Also, I have a T1X in 22LR and Anschutz 1416 ( 22 LR version of the 1517). I'd say that they are pretty much a toss up in the accuracy dept, certainly nothing that you'd notice shooting gophers. For the price difference, I'd go with the Tikka.