Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedFlatlander View Post
I'm 20+ but have had to slow down for low iron on my physical. Likely time for me to get back in. Thanks for the reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To make sure I don't get low iron between donations, I take a good iron supplement for about two weeks prior to donation time.
Venison and beef liver is a good source of iron if the tummy can't handle the iron pills.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
I don't smoke the stuff, but I asked about if pot was on the list of bad stuff, they (Canadian Blood Services) said no.
My next appointment for donation is in September, it will be number 29.
You said your blood is good for anyone, I am betting you are blood type O.
Don't stop going because of smoking pot, the donation process is good for the donor as well.
Thank you for clarifying that. I’m going to do my part when I get a chance. I use cannabis for chronic lower back pain and it works well!
Old 08-22-2018, 11:58 AM

I'm at 29 but they sure have made it more difficult to donate with not taking walk in appointments. I used to stop by the main clinic in Edmonton on my way back in to town from work without an appointment and be in and out in an hour most days. Now as a walk in it takes much longer. I tried to walk in at the sherwood park mobile clinic last night. Got there around 530 and was told the earliest i would get started was around 645.

Its tough to book an appointment when you don't know your schedule a few weeks out and don't want to waste an appointment by not showing up.

i don't know what the solution is but i think they should find a better way to accommodate walk in donations. I bet it would help increase the numbers they see donating from the people who don't have a schedule that works with booking appointments or first timers who don't know about needing appointments.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:17 PM

I just returned from my 10th donation. If you watch the online booking you can get cancellations. I looked last week and today was totally booked - checked this morning and they had an opening. 40 minutes later, I was in the clinic and out 90 minutes later.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:47 PM
Banned

They should build another donor clinic in Edmonton.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:37 AM

Another option is the mobile clinic(s). CBS will hold donation clinic(s) in a number of locations in different communities, throughout the year.

When I started out, it was in my high school gym....You'll have to contact them as I am not sure about the details.

I tip my hat to everyone who visits the vampire lounge..... your donations make a difference.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Another option is the mobile clinic(s). CBS will hold donation clinic(s) in a number of locations in different communities, throughout the year.

When I started out, it was in my high school gym....You'll have to contact them as I am not sure about the details.

I tip my hat to everyone who visits the vampire lounge..... your donations make a difference.
When you book an appointment online the mobile clinics in your area for the day you wish to donate will show up.

blood.ca
Old 08-23-2018, 08:16 AM

I think the expression is "Its in you to give"....recently made my 50th....keep it up everyone.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
When you book an appointment online the mobile clinics in your area for the day you wish to donate will show up.

blood.ca
I downloaded the Blood app and booked in for Oct 19!! First time in many years and now that I realized how easy it is to find somewhere local, will be making it a habit from now on. Thanks guys for the inspiration to look into it again. The pic of the little kid really did it for me.

BH

Old 08-23-2018, 09:16 AM

Yes i do, and now it’s even more important to me cause when my son had his accident 2 months ago he was transfused to keep him alive before decisions were taken. Most of his closest friends whent out to have a tattoo in remembrance of him. Even the o’l lady had one done on Tuesday.
I think it's more important to go give some blood cause it’s a gift of life when you need it.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:14 PM

You are correct. The members of Canadian Blood Services are Union. The union members are inflexible people. They have there job description, and don’t stray from it. I watch them as I donate my blood. I shake my head. The nurses are good. However the reception, is less than receptive. Book a time, do not be minute early/late. Hard to believe we are donating with this rigidity. No wonder <5% donate blood. Many go one time, say that is enough. If Blood services does not appreciate my donation, then no more. I will keep donating, while gritting my teeth.
PB43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsner Man View Post
I'm at 29 but they sure have made it more difficult to donate with not taking walk in appointments. I used to stop by the main clinic in Edmonton on my way back in to town from work without an appointment and be in and out in an hour most days. Now as a walk in it takes much longer. I tried to walk in at the sherwood park mobile clinic last night. Got there around 530 and was told the earliest i would get started was around 645.

Its tough to book an appointment when you don't know your schedule a few weeks out and don't want to waste an appointment by not showing up.

i don't know what the solution is but i think they should find a better way to accommodate walk in donations. I bet it would help increase the numbers they see donating from the people who don't have a schedule that works with booking appointments or first timers who don't know about needing appointments.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
You are correct. The members of Canadian Blood Services are Union. The union members are inflexible people. They have there job description, and don’t stray from it. I watch them as I donate my blood. I shake my head. The nurses are good. However the reception, is less than receptive. Book a time, do not be minute early/late. Hard to believe we are donating with this rigidity. No wonder <5% donate blood. Many go one time, say that is enough. If Blood services does not appreciate my donation, then no more. I will keep donating, while gritting my teeth.
PB43
Where are you donating? Your description is the complete opposite of what I have experienced in Edmonton. I have no problem showing up early, still do walk-ins periodically, reception is great, nurses are excellent, zero issues except the odd nurse that requires aid in how to position the needle.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Where are you donating? Your description is the complete opposite of what I have experienced in Edmonton. I have no problem showing up early, still do walk-ins periodically, reception is great, nurses are excellent, zero issues except the odd nurse that requires aid in how to position the needle.
Weedy, imagine same people in Edmonton that service Fort Sask. Some days the group is good. Lately (last couple x), they have been off. Starting with the lad at reception. Kid needs good boot in the behind. Angered donors leave. Don’t be late or early, don’t mess with his schedule...........Blood Nazi.....
Old 08-23-2018, 10:31 PM

This thread and a radio spot inspired me to get back in, appointment booked. I figure that whatever hypersensitive tests they had 23 years ago must have improved and my blood is still good to go. I still can't recall my blood type though, happily it's not something I've ever needed to know.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Weedy, imagine same people in Edmonton that service Fort Sask. Some days the group is good. Lately (last couple x), they have been off. Starting with the lad at reception. Kid needs good boot in the behind. Angered donors leave. Don’t be late or early, don’t mess with his schedule...........Blood Nazi.....
Well if you're from Fort Sask that explains it. Nobody wants blood from you plant suckers.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:14 AM

Thumbs up Blood Donor

Regular blood donor - started when I was 18. Missed a few years due to no clinics in locations where I was living. Currently at 139 donations and counting !!

Mr Conservation
Old 03-05-2019, 02:50 PM

Just received a email to say thanks, here is what they said;

I'm Dr. Graham Sher, chief executive officer at Canadian Blood Services.

We greatly appreciate your contribution to Canada's lifeline

lets all donate, you don't know when you might need to receive blood, every donation can help 3 people,
Old 03-05-2019, 03:41 PM

Got the needle coming tonight at 6:05.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 03-05-2019, 03:54 PM

I have hemochromatosis. I produce iron from thin air. Donation or phlebotomy is the treatment. Been giving for 30 years. It is most prevalent in Northern Europeans. I think of it as Scotsman's revenge. I know alot of Scots that have it and it forces us to donate something at least.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:46 PM

Was disqualified after heart surgery. Made 49 donations. I thinks it's one of the easiest and important things a person can do. My heart surgery took seven units of blood so I'm glad I was able to donated prior to.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:57 PM

Like clockwork. O neg with some immunity enzyme that's pretty rare. Not sure what exactly, but it goes straight to the neo-natal unit, and they sure don't let me miss an appt.
Pretty painless, boy has wrestling at the butterdome, donation clinic just around the corner.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:31 AM

Default Do you donate blood

I have donated since I was 17 while in grade 12 I used to donate a lot of plasma & platelets. I even got called as a possible bone marrow donor but I did not match. Currently at 185 donations and counting. Its in you to give!
Old 03-06-2019, 06:40 AM

I donated for the first time back in January after being scared of doing so for years. It really wasn't bad at all. I did appreciate the positive support from others donating and that really helped. I go for my second donation in a couple of weeks.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:54 AM

I go as often as i can O positive makes me universal donor
, just the years we go to Mexico throw me off, at 27 now with next appointment for Mar. 27.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:23 AM

Default early out

I donated a lot of blood over the years, but now since I have had cancer, I am disqualified. Still think it's a good idea, though. Me, having had a brain tumour removal, I probably did use up a few pints of blood transfusion myself!

Funny story: a female acquaintance said many decades ago she tried out giving blood at a university clinic. However, when they poked her finger with a pin for the initial blood screening, she passed right out and had to be carried to a cot to recover. They firmly suggested she never try again.

R
Old 03-06-2019, 07:26 AM

Kudos to everybody that donates, My next donation will be number 7 so far, I try to donate as much as possible,

Im A+, so only 36% of Canadians share my blood type. But 38.5% can use my red blood cells like A+ or AB+, this info was provided from blood services.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmckee View Post
I go as often as i can O positive makes me universal donor
, just the years we go to Mexico throw me off, at 27 now with next appointment for Mar. 27.
Good on ya, but only O neg is universal
Old 03-06-2019, 07:34 AM

I just got back into it recently after a long time away and I was amazed at the facility, the process and the people it was a wonderful experience.

Would also like to say there must have been a half dozen younger Hutterites there. Asked the nurse about that and she said mom and dad will bring in the kid when they are old enough and they rarely miss an appointment. She said they were their best donors.

Just a shout out to all my hutterite neighbors.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetRick View Post
I donated a lot of blood over the years, but now since I have had cancer, I am disqualified. Still think it's a good idea, though. Me, having had a brain tumour removal, I probably did use up a few pints of blood transfusion myself!

Funny story: a female acquaintance said many decades ago she tried out giving blood at a university clinic. However, when they poked her finger with a pin for the initial blood screening, she passed right out and had to be carried to a cot to recover. They firmly suggested she never try again.

R

best wishes to you and all others who are fighting cancer along with other health issues. may you and everyone else have a quick return to health and many more years of life.

over my 56 donations, I have witnessed 3 donors lying on the floor in the recovery area/cookie space with their feet elevated on a chair for a few minutes regaining their equilibrium. have seen many more on the recliner with a cool compress on their forehead. I have little doubt they do come back to donate again.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:26 PM

Default One tiny finger poke and you save lives

If your looking to gift something to several people; give a pint of blood at your local blood donor clinic....I call it the vampire lounge...haha

IT IS IN YOU TO GIVE...

The soup and cookies is always a nice touch...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.