Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 AM

Default Non Trophy Sheep

Me and my buddy are going to put in for our draws this year. Im new to sheep hunt but have done my research in to it, were are looking at 3 zones. I have never been up there just looked on maps. What im wondering is we have the priority to get these zones 100%. 442,440,444 Whats the pros and cons of these zones. Is there a website to find population stats?
Thanks Mitch
Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 AM

http://mywildalberta.com/hunting/Hun...t/Default.aspx
Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 AM

ya i know that page, looking more for population charts. Thanks tho
Old 01-07-2014, 12:32 PM

I haven't hunted those zones in particular. But you need to try to not get a non trophy sheep. Very easy animal to find and to hunt. One of the hardest parts is finding a one with out a lamb.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:29 PM

Forget 442, unless you have horses or are looking for more work then you need to do. 444 and 440 are both good and you can reach hunting areas in about a day of leaving your truck. Ewes are easier then rams to find but don't start weighing your meat before you find one. The Wilmore is a big place and there are lots of places to hide. If your looking for an easier hunt 438 or further south may be a better option. If your up for a challenge then either zone would work for you.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the info guys, anybody else have much experience in these areas? how much does one weigh when de bone? im debaiting on bring in the bow are they a real spooky animal?
Old 01-07-2014, 04:24 PM

If your doing Wilmore they are all over in there but it will be tougher than other zones. It will be a real tough hunt actually but if you want to make it a big trip and a real sheep hunting experience then that is the place to go. Crossing the Muddywater can be tough at times if you go through that area. I don't think you can cross the second crossing all that easily and wouldn't want to try it personally on foot.

Other parts of Wilmore are easier to get to that have sheep. Might as well take a ram tag as well.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 PM

If you are thinking about taking a bow, I would. They are usually super easy to close the distance on if you are not showing a threat. I took one a few years ago, I brought my bow but started pushing them somewhere I didnt want them to go so I finshed the deal with my rifle. Next year I will try again with the bow also. I want to check some areas up there where you are I think too. Anyways good luck and lots of waiting until sheep season again.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbi View Post
Thanks for the info guys, anybody else have much experience in these areas? how much does one weigh when de bone? im debaiting on bring in the bow are they a real spooky animal?
About the same weight as an average wt doe boned out. Be very careful you are shooting a ewe and not a yearling ram. They are often found mixed in with ewes and have similar horn dimension.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:53 PM

Look between the legs. Sheep have big nuts. Even the young ones.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 PM

Seen lots in the wilmore this year
Old 01-08-2014, 09:46 AM

Awsome, Getting really pumped for this adventure! If you have a non trophy sheep tag can you get a ram tag? We will most likely be hiking in. For those who have done this any tips for a week long trip? When u locate your sheep you want to hunt do you leave your camp set up to come back at the end of the day or would you recommend packing up in case you push them in to a different shoot?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:12 PM

Yes you can get a trophy sheep tag as well. Camp will depend on if you are moving camp or staying in one location and hunting out of a base camp.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbi View Post
Awsome, Getting really pumped for this adventure! If you have a non trophy sheep tag can you get a ram tag? We will most likely be hiking in. For those who have done this any tips for a week long trip? When u locate your sheep you want to hunt do you leave your camp set up to come back at the end of the day or would you recommend packing up in case you push them in to a different shoot?
I always pack some things just incase. Ie sili tarp, small saw rain gear few other cloths. You never know if you get on a ram and have to spend the night under the stars or weather turns for the worse. Mountain hunting is a hunt you would rather be over prepared for then under. Fill your water up whenever you get the chance also. Nothing worse then having to loose a 1000 ft in elevation cuz you ran out of water.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:07 PM

Pm sent.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:37 PM

Thanks guys for the info. I hate waiting..