Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Banned

Default CANCER & DISEASE in Wildgame.

We're and what regions have you seen these effects in animals?
please share with us on AO.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 AM

I usually inspect the liver and heart of whatever I kill.
I have never seen anything odd.
Not sure what I would be looking for tho

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-06-2014, 01:23 AM
Banned

I'm not sure that wild animals get cancer or not but there are numerous other diseases that they get. Positive CWD results I've heard of and sarcoptic mange in coyotes I've seen quite a bit. I always check the livers in the rabbits that I snare for white spots which is a sign of tularemia but I've never caught one with it. I guess that trichinosis in bears should be a concern and you should cook the meat well, but who knows unless you get it tested. There's quite a few other diseases out there that result in die offs but I've never witnessed it.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:23 AM

Cancer can occur in any multicellular organism. As its incidence (in humans and dogs, at least) increases with age, it may be that many wild animals, due to factors like tough winters and predation, simply don't live long enough to develop it, even if they have a hereditary predisposition to do so. Certainly once it begins to weaken them, they will quickly become food for predators.

I've never seen it in a wild animal...just in people, dogs, cats, and lab mice.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-06-2014, 07:14 AM

Find this thread interesting as I have often wondered about disease in wildies as well . The following photo is of lungs from a whitetail buck taken in the Calgary bowzone in 2011 . Animal appeared to be in good health and the Dr. we were hunting with couldn't explain the coloring . Maybe the buck was a smoker ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8348.jpg (85.5 KB, 223 views)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:32 AM

Only experience with disease is we got a CWD positive deer last year.

LC
Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 AM
Banned

Tip I got is don't breath in when you gut your kid could be a sign of TO inside (white spots, lumps) and report to fish & game or something take the head to them for further examination.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Find this thread interesting as I have often wondered about disease in wildies as well . The following photo is of lungs from a whitetail buck taken in the Calgary bowzone in 2011 . Animal appeared to be in good health and the Dr. we were hunting with couldn't explain the coloring . Maybe the buck was a smoker ?
That is blood / hemmoraging in the lungs; looks like the vast majority of animals I have killed with both rifle and bow.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
That is blood / hemmoraging in the lungs; looks like the vast majority of animals I have killed with both rifle and bow.
I was kind if thinking it was internal bleeding as well....where was the animal shot?

LC
Old 01-06-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Hydrostatic shock?

A list of some Alberta Wildlife diseases and parasites.
http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/W...s/Default.aspx
Old 01-06-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Hydrostatic shock?
Now you gone dunnit!!

LC
Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Now you gone dunnit!!

LC

Yup! Someone is gonna get banned.

But at least now there is conclusive video evidence showing the effects of hydrostatic shock.

http://www.videobash.com/video_show/...r-balloon-shot
Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 AM

Somebody on this forum (I will keep his name private in case he doesnt want to be mentioned) sent me a photo of an elk he shot in November that had some sort of crazy disease. The elk had no meat on it and instead it had all turned to some sort of goo. It was super skinny and F&W took it.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Now you gone dunnit!!

LC
Lefty:

Was there any indication that your deer had CWD when you were dressing it?

Just wondering.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
Somebody on this forum (I will keep his name private in case he doesnt want to be mentioned) sent me a photo of an elk he shot in November that had some sort of crazy disease. The elk had no meat on it and instead it had all turned to some sort of goo. It was super skinny and F&W took it.
Interesting. Can you share the pic?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Lefty:

Was there any indication that your deer had CWD when you were dressing it?

Just wondering.
No none...it was a yearling doe and appeared completely healthy.

It had early onset, meaning it was found in the lymph nodes but had not yet affected the brain. When tested it was positive in the lymph and negative in the head...as a precaution my hunting partner who shot tit turned n all the meat and received another tag for this year...but due to the numbers being down he decided not to fill it this year.

LC
Old 01-06-2014, 10:11 AM

A couple of friends and I were hunting in 402 about 5 or 6 years ago. We were sitting for an evening hunt when we spotted a mule deer buck that was salivating profusely. He was walking slowly on an open ridge........and did not seem too concerned about being exposed for everything to see.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:06 AM

I have had three different occasions with wildlife that had issues.

Shot an anterless mule deer and when I went up to it it had large quantities of hair missing and was a buck. The antlers had not grown out - basically a 1 1/2 inch round horn nub. Called F&W and they asked the location. They advised the animal had mange as a number of deer in the area had picked this up from proximity to a cattle operation that had some problems on their herd. Procedure given for cleaning wear gloves, to skin out ompletely, do not come in physical contact with the hide and the meat was then good to use. This was a stressed deer and the meat was tough.

Shot a young bull moose up north and it was very bad wth liver fluke. Meat looked like tapioca. F&W said ok to eat if cooked throughly.

Shot a mulie buck that when we started skinning once we got to the front large amounts of green pus came out. Turned out that the animal had been in a fight and had a piece of a horn broken off in the front shoulder. Took the carcass into the OS Longman and they did core tests and told me where the meat was safe from. Choice was keep what was safe and the antlers or give the deer and antlers and get another tag.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I was kind if thinking it was internal bleeding as well....where was the animal shot?

LC
Heart shot , I've never seen this dark spotting before .
Old 01-06-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
I have had three different occasions with wildlife that had issues.

Shot an anterless mule deer and when I went up to it it had large quantities of hair missing and was a buck. The antlers had not grown out - basically a 1 1/2 inch round horn nub. Called F&W and they asked the location. They advised the animal had mange as a number of deer in the area had picked this up from proximity to a cattle operation that had some problems on their herd. Procedure given for cleaning wear gloves, to skin out ompletely, do not come in physical contact with the hide and the meat was then good to use. This was a stressed deer and the meat was tough.

Shot a young bull moose up north and it was very bad wth liver fluke. Meat looked like tapioca. F&W said ok to eat if cooked throughly.

Shot a mulie buck that when we started skinning once we got to the front large amounts of green pus came out. Turned out that the animal had been in a fight and had a piece of a horn broken off in the front shoulder. Took the carcass into the OS Longman and they did core tests and told me where the meat was safe from. Choice was keep what was safe and the antlers or give the deer and antlers and get another tag.

People need to be very careful around this green slime. NEVER LET ANY OF IT MAKE CONTACT WITH YOUR SKIN! It usually contains several strains of both Staph and Strep bacteria. It is very easy to get a very severe blood infection from this material. I won't explain here how I know, long story, which ended with several months of IV and oral antibiotics....
Old 01-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Gone Hunting

[QUOTE=2 Tollers;2270827]

QUOTE]

I think you are talking about "Moose Measles" tapeworm Taenia Krabbei .
Liver fluke would be in liver only.

Moose Measles are common where moose and wolf coexist. Small like mustard seeds or slightly bigger in a little mucousy sack.

I had one with a very few cysts in it, but since this year boys have priority 8 for moose and growing.
My dog needed to be dewormed as she passed 1 adult tapeworm about 2 months after I butchered this moose.
Kids prefer Elk meat since then as well

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 01-06-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
People need to be very careful around this green slime. NEVER LET ANY OF IT MAKE CONTACT WITH YOUR SKIN! It usually contains several strains of both Staph and Strep bacteria. It is very easy to get a very severe blood infection from this material. I won't explain here how I know, long story, which ended with several months of IV and oral antibiotics....
I would suggest stopping as soon as you see green slime and calling f&w. chances are they will say not fit for human consumption, and give you another tag. That bacteria will have spread through most of the animal. Same stuff that causes necrotizing fasciitis aka flesh eating disease. Don't mess with it.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post

Wondering if the deer with the antler stuck in it had any kind of swelling like this deer I got on my trailcam 5 years ago. Never saw the deer again so I'm not sure what it suffered from. Some thought antler injury. Others thought abcess.

WMU 246

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sick deer.jpg (73.4 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by Red Bullets; 01-07-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Wondering if the deer with the antler stuck in it had any kind of swelling like this deer I got on my trailcam 5 years ago.
The mulie I shot was bedded and when we got over to it it looked normal. Field dressed and took it home to skin in the garage. Skinning when we opened up the hide on the injured side up towards the shoulder the green goop came out. There was no noticeable smell or swelling until the hide was open close to the injury. My guess would be that this buck may have healed had he not had the misfortune of having a nice set of dark chocolate antlers.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Interesting. Can you share the pic?
I dont have it on my phone anymore. It was another guy's animal and I would rather not post it without permission anyways. If he sees this I am sure he will post it if he wants to contribute. From what I remember in the picture, instead of meat on the quarters it just looked like white goo and connective tissue.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post

I think you are talking about "Moose Measles" tapeworm Taenia Krabbei .
Liver fluke would be in liver only.

Moose Measles are common where moose and wolf coexist. Small like mustard seeds or slightly bigger in a little mucousy sack.

I had one with a very few cysts in it, but since this year boys have priority 8 for moose and growing.
My dog needed to be dewormed as she passed 1 adult tapeworm about 2 months after I butchered this moose.
Kids prefer Elk meat since then as well
I shot a young moose with this really bad in the meat everywhere this was from the spirit river area. I have found this occasionally in elk and deer from the same area and in moose from other areas one or two doesn't bother me at all but the one was infested with 100's but the wanker of a fish cop told me they call those "cutters" where you go through and cut them out of the meat that was bs to me I couldn't even cut striploin steaks with out atleast one in every cutting edge it was gross the fish cop ( from stony plain) told me that if I wasn't prepared to eat an animal like that that I should reconsider being a hunter.... I would have loved to kick his teeth in when he said that!
Anyway he put me in contact with a needy family and I explained to them just how bad it was but they were happy to take it ..... Mind over matter for some but not for me or my family.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 PM

Default picture of mule buck

This buck was still alive in Lethbridge January 5, 2014

sick mule buck.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0p4l00mzk...ule%20buck.jpg
Old 01-08-2014, 06:12 AM

My son shot the Elk Jacenbeers mentioned in his post.

The intestines had fused to the skin/tissue of the gut cavity and were infested with pockets of pus.The Elks stomach was full of food.It seems that it was unable to get any nutrition because of this disease.

It was totally emaciated and would have starved to death.

The CO came to his house took it, and issued another tag.She said that she had seen the symptoms in Moose but not Elk. Seems like she didn't know what it was called.It was not however CWD.

We await the results and will let the forum know what it was if we find out.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:22 AM

Shot a wt buck last year that had a clear jelly-like stuff between the hide and the meat. Was told by a bio that it could have been giardiasis. Guess it happens in areas with a high beaver population. Cattle would get it as well. Dam beavers.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Cancer can occur in any multicellular organism. As its incidence (in humans and dogs, at least) increases with age, it may be that many wild animals, due to factors like tough winters and predation, simply don't live long enough to develop it, even if they have a hereditary predisposition to do so. Certainly once it begins to weaken them, they will quickly become food for predators.

I've never seen it in a wild animal...just in people, dogs, cats, and lab mice.
Funny thing about cancer I've found interesting is that it seems to be relevant to expected life spans. Dogs and cats only live into their mid teens at the most, but they get cancers that don't usually afflict humans till they hit their 50s or 60s.

Grizz

Tags
disease, hunting, wildgame