Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-07-2014, 02:04 PM

Question Question about elk draws

Yeah, yeah I know the season is far away and its a question about how draws work blah blah blah

Anyways, this year ill be bowhunting elk. In the zone we hunt, all elk (antlerless and antlered) are on a general tag during the archery season. Chances are (depending on how the hunts go) I may end up shooting the first elk to come within range.

Heres my question, Im at P4 right now for antlerless elk so this upcoming draw I should be %80 for pulling the tag. Draw code 19. Say I apply for an antlered tag in 108 and not apply for the code 19. Does my P4 go towards a trophy bull or do I gain 1P point for 108 and nothing for code 19??? Basically Im wondering if I have to "burn" up my priority in the code 19 draw before I can apply for other elk draws, or if the P points can go towards one or the other????

Im still pretty new at the whole draw system, and never really had intentions of not pulling the cow tag, but since im getting into archery that opens up a few doors. If I can save the P for a trophy bull, I would prefer that lol. If I cant save the P to go towards an antlered elk, I guess ill be filling a cow tag this upcoming season.

I know its early but I got the bug and cant help trying to line things up
Old 01-07-2014, 02:07 PM

You can only apply for one elk draw with the exception of a southern zone (212) I think.

So you have to decide if you are putting in for antlered or antlerless...

Priorities do not transfer between codes....you start from P0

You can apply for other elk draw codes...but the one you have priority in will not get pulled nor will it increase.

If you pull the antlerless tag, you can only hunt antlerless in that zone whether it's archery or general season....so you are stuck there and antlered are off limits.

LC
Old 01-07-2014, 03:01 PM

Another thing to consider,
and this applies in most zones with cow draw & general elk, may apply to your zone too.
999 your draw and you can hunt both cow or 3 pt+ bull in archery, then hunt bull in rifle season.

TBark
Old 01-07-2014, 03:33 PM

There are no cow licences or bull licences in Alberta.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-07-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:35 PM

You sure your name isn't Robin?
Old 01-07-2014, 04:50 PM

I believe only one elk draw can be entered. The exception is you may hold a 212 antlerless specoal license and as well hold a general tag
Old 01-07-2014, 04:55 PM

I was wrong. Lefty was correct page 24 of last years draw book. I have been misreading that headline for a long time
Old 01-07-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You can only apply for one elk draw with the exception of a southern zone (212) I think.

You can apply for other elk draw codes...but the one you have priority in will not get pulled nor will it increase.

If you pull the antlerless tag, you can only hunt antlerless in that zone whether it's archery or general season....so you are stuck there and antlered are off limits.

LC
Thanks Lefty!! That was the answer I needed! Thanks again
Old 01-07-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There are no cow licences or bull licences in Alberta.
Pretty sure I made that clear in the start of my post, only using cow tag at the end to save on typing.... But thanks for your observation
Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
What are you stating ? if he draws a cow tag for the zone allows archery for either sex , am I understanding you to say he could hunt cows in archery and rifle with this draw tag?

I am not sure this is always the case < or am I confused ?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
What are you stating ? if he draws a cow tag for the zone allows archery for either sex , am I understanding you to say he could hunt cows in archery and rifle with this draw tag?

I am not sure this is always the case < or am I confused ?
When you pull a general season draw tag...if there is a non draw archery only season, your draw tag is usable during the non draw archery only season as well as the general draw season.

By pulling an antlerless draw tag...you are only eligible to take an antlerless elk during both the archery only season and the draw general season.

Having an antlerless draw tag inhibits you from using that tag and license to harvest an antlered elk.

LC