Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2018, 05:51 PM

Default Do you Donate Blood

Sitting in a packed room tonite, really great to see, it’s my 43rd time.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 08-14-2018, 06:01 PM

Unfortunately I am disqualified from donating because I lived in the UK and ate British beef in the years leading up to the Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) epidemic. So far there is no test to detect its presence on a live subject ......
Old 08-14-2018, 06:06 PM

Yes. 38 times so far. So easy to do and saves lives. Makes a guy feel good helping out
Old 08-14-2018, 06:23 PM

No, never. Someone would have to carry me out after I passed out.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:31 PM

Used to very regularly.
When they stopped doing rural blood doner clinics, I quite donating.
3 hours drive time, and horrendous parking, nope it’s a costly adventure, now.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-14-2018, 07:32 PM

I used to, and then they asked that I not because something about my blood triggered false positives for something or other. Multiple trips to the Dr ruled out their quickie screenings as being inaccurate (or at least leaning towards being hypersensitive).

Enough time has passed I'm sure they would have better tests by now, I should head in again and give it a go.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:43 PM

I do, not regularly though. Next time will be double digits (10)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2018, 08:02 PM
Banned

I have donated blood in the past, apparently my blood type is good for anyone. I don’t think they would take my blood these days however. I feel perfectly sober but the person receiving the blood would probably get high as a kite if they don’t use cannabis lol.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I have donated blood in the past, apparently my blood type is good for anyone. I don’t think they would take my blood these days however. I feel perfectly sober but the person receiving the blood would probably get high as a kite if they don’t use cannabis lol.
I don't smoke the stuff, but I asked about if pot was on the list of bad stuff, they (Canadian Blood Services) said no.
My next appointment for donation is in September, it will be number 29.
You said your blood is good for anyone, I am betting you are blood type O.
Don't stop going because of smoking pot, the donation process is good for the donor as well.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
I don't smoke the stuff, but I asked about if pot was on the list of bad stuff, they (Canadian Blood Services) said no.
My next appointment for donation is in September, it will be number 29.
You said your blood is good for anyone, I am betting you are blood type O.
Don't stop going because of smoking pot, the donation process is good for the donor as well.
Thank you for clarifying that. I’m going to do my part when I get a chance. I use cannabis for chronic lower back pain and it works well!
Old 08-22-2018, 11:58 AM

I'm at 29 but they sure have made it more difficult to donate with not taking walk in appointments. I used to stop by the main clinic in Edmonton on my way back in to town from work without an appointment and be in and out in an hour most days. Now as a walk in it takes much longer. I tried to walk in at the sherwood park mobile clinic last night. Got there around 530 and was told the earliest i would get started was around 645.

Its tough to book an appointment when you don't know your schedule a few weeks out and don't want to waste an appointment by not showing up.

i don't know what the solution is but i think they should find a better way to accommodate walk in donations. I bet it would help increase the numbers they see donating from the people who don't have a schedule that works with booking appointments or first timers who don't know about needing appointments.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:06 PM

Never have. Don't honestly know where I would go for that.

Good job to those who have, lots of lives possibly saved.

Question though, Does anyone know how much of the blood that gets donated gets used? I'm assuming some goes to waste since I can't see the shelf life being very long during times of surplus.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Never have. Don't honestly know where I would go for that.

Good job to those who have, lots of lives possibly saved.

Question though, Does anyone know how much of the blood that gets donated gets used? I'm assuming some goes to waste since I can't see the shelf life being very long during times of surplus.

The stuff closing in on its best before date gets bought by Vampire Depot, lots of frugal vampires and various witchcraft/ occult practitioners out there!

Curious how much of it goes to cloning operations

In all seriousness though, I once had to perform some pipe freezing at Canadian Blood Services facility on the beltline. I had to use two freeze collars to isolate some domestic water line sections to tie in some new branches for renovations. The reason is that due to their water-cooled refrigeration for the blood coolers, under no circumstances is anyone ever allowed to shut off the domestic water. I did my freezes, tied in some tee's and valves and left the rest for the company doing the renovations (another plumbing outfit hired us for that task). No stress in getting those done.....
Old 08-14-2018, 08:27 PM

I would be happy to...but I'm AB pos (not desirable) and medically disqualified.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-14-2018, 08:28 PM

I do, yesterday was my 5th donation, and counting, November will be 6, very professional crew at the collection location, Im A+ blood type so 38% of the population needs my blood.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I once had to perform some pipe freezing at Canadian Blood Services facility on the beltline. I had to use two freeze collars to isolate some domestic water line sections to tie in some new branches for renovations. The reason is that due to their water-cooled refrigeration for the blood coolers, under no circumstances is anyone ever allowed to shut off the domestic water. I did my freezes, tied in some tee's and valves and left the rest for the company doing the renovations (another plumbing outfit hired us for that task). No stress in getting those done.....
I'm thinking there is a reason another plumbing outfit hired this job out. Could you imagine the liability if something had gone wrong and spoiled all the blood?
Talk about stress and working.....under pressure...
Old 08-14-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I'm thinking there is a reason another plumbing outfit hired this job out. Could you imagine the liability if something had gone wrong and spoiled all the blood?
Talk about stress and working.....under pressure...
The field super for the other outfit is my Dad's old buddy and is my 'uncle' Ric (nod to your recent post of your uncle Rick). I was working for my Dad's plumbing company at the time, Ric knew we had the freeze kit, not all outfits have one. It wasn't all about the liability thing, just about someone with the right tools and experience using it. Not a spot to send a guy for his first go at such a task!
Old 08-15-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
Congrats! I've donated blood 102 times and plasma 143 times.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:12 AM

I used to until I got cancer 17 years ago. Been clear since then but still disqualified.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:31 AM

My wife has gone a couple time more than me. She got me to go once and since then its kinda a weird date night for us.

We meet at the university clinic after work on her schedule, women can't go as often as men.

Nice quite time shared over a bowl of soup and crackers
Old 08-15-2018, 08:42 AM

I'm the same as Okotok...Cancer changes everything...everything!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 08-15-2018, 08:44 AM

Yes and proud of it.....

My dad donated in WW II and told me that if you are healthy to donate; it helps people and it is good for you.

It all started in my high school gym. I was 17 years old at the time and my dad had to sign a waiver for me.

I think it was more to get out of class and eat some cookies....hahaha

In all my schooling and all of my career, I have never missed a minute because of sick.

My next milestone is 1,000 donations.

Thanks to everyone out there that take the time to donate; whether it be whole blood, plasma or platelets....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 08-15-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Yes and proud of it.....

My dad donated in WW II and told me that if you are healthy to donate; it helps people and it is good for you.

It all started in my high school gym. I was 17 years old at the time and my dad had to sign a waiver for me.

I think it was more to get out of class and eat some cookies....hahaha

In all my schooling and all of my career, I have never missed a minute because of sick.

My next milestone is 1,000 donations.

Thanks to everyone out there that take the time to donate; whether it be whole blood, plasma or platelets....
Insert take a bow emogi here... 1000 donations is amazing!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:28 PM

Congrats, at 53 myself
Old 08-23-2018, 09:16 AM

Yes i do, and now it’s even more important to me cause when my son had his accident 2 months ago he was transfused to keep him alive before decisions were taken. Most of his closest friends whent out to have a tattoo in remembrance of him. Even the o’l lady had one done on Tuesday.
I think it's more important to go give some blood cause it’s a gift of life when you need it.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:54 PM

I have hemochromatosis. I produce iron from thin air. Donation or phlebotomy is the treatment. Been giving for 30 years. It is most prevalent in Northern Europeans. I think of it as Scotsman's revenge. I know alot of Scots that have it and it forces us to donate something at least.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:46 PM

Was disqualified after heart surgery. Made 49 donations. I thinks it's one of the easiest and important things a person can do. My heart surgery took seven units of blood so I'm glad I was able to donated prior to.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:57 PM

Like clockwork. O neg with some immunity enzyme that's pretty rare. Not sure what exactly, but it goes straight to the neo-natal unit, and they sure don't let me miss an appt.
Pretty painless, boy has wrestling at the butterdome, donation clinic just around the corner.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:02 PM

My wife used to bring home out dated blood and use it to fertilize her roses. They really bloomed. Actually, not all blood goes directly into somebody's veins, a fair percentage is processed for plasma and other very useful products, just as vital. If you have type AB, you're fortunate enough to be able to receive any blood and type O has the most compatibility with other types and is know as the Universal donor.

I faint or did at having my blood taken, donation was never an option. Wife was in the business and I still remember the time she needed a standard for the auto analyzer and I was the only one handy, evening shift. She took the sample, one tube and headed for the front office. She heard the clunk when I fell off the chair and my head hit the concrete, all the way out there.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 12-29-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
Congrats on 43. Started doing it again this past year, with Canada Blood services. 4x so far this year. Likely do 5-6x donations this year. Like my O+ blood.
Pb43