Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-18-2016, 03:19 PM

Default Need some advice

Please feel free to PM me if you got some ideas here guys but I have an ongoing issue on my trapline. When I bought the line I was told by Fish and wildlife it needed to be cleaned up a bit before they would tranfer the line to me. The trapper cleaned up a little but one of the main part of the garbage is an old truck and a trailer that is left next to the cabin. We had an agreement that it would be moved between the trapper and I. It has been 2 years or more now with multiple promises that it will be taken care of and I feel they are empty promisses now. What can I do about this? I can not legally move the vehicle since I do not own it. I have the ID from the verhicle and I have been told that I can call the police and have them take it out to the cost of the past owner. I also have the emergency envirement contact info and can report it through that way. I do not wish huge costs involved to past owners but things are not getting done. I have a few other ideas as well. Any thoughts on what you would do? The fish and Wildlife want it cleaned up and I agree and have slowly been cleaning up around the cabin.
Feel free to PM me with any thoughts if you wish to not put it on here thanks
Old 03-18-2016, 03:44 PM

My thought would be to give the old owner a dead line. After that point move it from the line to the nearest roadway. The police will then report it as an abondoned vehicle and have it impounded. They will notify the last registered owner, then the problem is between local police and the owner.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:47 PM

I assume it's junk? I'd talk to the trapper and just haul it out of there. Pull it up on a trailer and take it to the wreckers.

If you don't own a trailer heavy enough let him pay for a rental.

It'd be easier to make him take care of it but it doesn't sound like he will. If you don't want to make his life difficult that's the way I would go.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:56 PM

Tires need some work and are flat but I was told it started and ran. Problem is that as soon as ice melts the 200 yards to the road is huge rutts and a mudhole. Best time to move it is now or right after freeze up. It is going to get dealt with. Just trying to keep my cabin from buring to the ground in retaliation because it is going to hit him in the pocketbook big time with anything I do about this and I do not want that. I gave him ample time and coaxed him and have heard nothing but" oh it will get done for too long"
Old 03-18-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
I assume it's junk? I'd talk to the trapper and just haul it out of there. Pull it up on a trailer and take it to the wreckers.

If you don't own a trailer heavy enough let him pay for a rental.

It'd be easier to make him take care of it but it doesn't sound like he will. If you don't want to make his life difficult that's the way I would go.
X2! Especially if your worried about retaliation. He is obviously aware that it has to go. You can give him the option of dropping it off in his driveway or to the wreckers. Sometimes, the grief and hassle of waiting for others to uphold a commitment, simply isn't worth it!! Just my $.02!
Old 03-18-2016, 04:06 PM

Tough situation for sure. I like the suggestion above about a deadline. Is it possible to pull it to the road now and leave it there a while? Then let him know it's at the road?
Old 03-18-2016, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Tough situation for sure. I like the suggestion above about a deadline. Is it possible to pull it to the road now and leave it there a while? Then let him know it's at the road?
X2 Get it to the road while you can. If the other fella doesn't want to deal with it, buy four wheels at Pick a Part and drive it to the nearest scrapyard. Maybe they'll give you enough money to cover the cost of the wheels and all that it'd cost you is your time.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:02 PM

Find it interesting that F&W cares about it at all? Don't think they have much say in the matter. I have a whole bunch of old burnt/abandoned vehicles on my line near my cabin. Had forestry come and do an inspection last fall for my lease. They told me if it's on lease it's forestry's issue. If it's off lease it's RCMP issue. If you don't have a lease then it would be an RCMP issue to recover an abandoned vehicle. Again....don't think F&W have a say in the matter.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:44 PM

Problem is I am not the owner of it. If I move it I am in the wrong as it would be like stealing it.
Fish and wildlife can tell you to clean up your yard so to speak or they can hold up a line transfer and I don't blame them. I think they should be able to have a say in the matter in a way and they have been good about things so far and havn't complained too much but I am also trying to be pro active and clean up the junk around the cabin which anyone really should do
Old 03-18-2016, 06:12 PM

Is it worth anything? Maybe someone here would buy it and come get it, you could be the broker between the owner and buyer. Post some pics if it has any value, someone might just solve your issue.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Problem is I am not the owner of it. If I move it I am in the wrong as it would be like stealing it.
Fish and wildlife can tell you to clean up your yard so to speak or they can hold up a line transfer and I don't blame them. I think they should be able to have a say in the matter in a way and they have been good about things so far and havn't complained too much but I am also trying to be pro active and clean up the junk around the cabin which anyone really should do
I think after two years you could reasonably call it abandoned and not have any issues arise from moving it. Better yet if you had copies of emails or letters asking when he would move it.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:37 PM

just ask him for a bill of sale then you can do what ever you want with it or have it signed over for storage fees
good luck Nube
post a picture it could be worth more than you realize
Old 03-18-2016, 07:42 PM

I would just haul it out and drop it off at the owners place. If F&W wants it cleaned up, clean it up. If he doesn't want to pay for it so be it. It gives you a black eye especially as a trapper when people or hunters happen by and see a shist hole. Its YOUR name on the trapline ownership, not the other guys.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:30 PM

F & W want trapline cabins cleaned up. When we bought our line origional cabin had lot of junk around it, we worked very hard to get stuff burnt and moved off our lease. Nube you have no choice but get the junk including the truck off your line. You should have held back some $$ until he met his committments but water under the bridge now. Some of the suggestions of hauling to his place are good. We did that with our previous trapline owner, dropped trailers etc in his yard.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:48 PM

Had a similar issue with a house I bought. Old owners had a car that was left on the RV pad and never picked it up. I towed it off the property, called the local cops re: abandoned vehicle. It was no longer on my property so I never "Stole" it. They had it taken away.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:49 PM

burn it.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:53 PM
Banned

If it is not registered or licensed, it is abandoned
Old 03-23-2016, 06:51 AM

Contact Dac : http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/member.php?u=6010

He "collects" junkers. May depend on where you are ?
He'll know the rules / laws on cleaning it up.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:23 AM

Default Junker

I've done this with my mother in laws crap. Get rid of it at the dump etc.then tell the dude you sold it, give him a few hundred bucks and he'll be happy and your cabin won't get burnt down.