Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-20-2008, 01:00 PM

Default Edmonton Gun Show

Hello everyone,

New to the board, and new to shooting. I just received my PAL (non-restricted) and am now shopping for some gear. I was wondering whether or not it was wise to wait until the gun show in the hopes of picking up some good deals there, or if maybe the show is a place where a noob with no experience and little knowledge is more likely to get fleeced instead?
Old 11-20-2008, 02:29 PM

Well, I am not a fan of buying used stuff (cause that is where the bad shooters end up) so I'd say go to Wholesale Sports instead and buy new the stuff you want. Do it now before the dropping dollar affects the imported prices.

But first off, what do you want? Are you big game hunting, target shooting, trap and skeet, gopher wacking or what? Checkout some internet sites to help you decide which calibers and makes. One site I think is well thought out and informative is as follows:

www.chuckhawks.com

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the sport.

Last edited by EagleEye54; 11-24-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Banned

nevermind
Old 11-20-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangler View Post
Hello everyone,

New to the board, and new to shooting. I just received my PAL (non-restricted) and am now shopping for some gear. I was wondering whether or not it was wise to wait until the gun show in the hopes of picking up some good deals there, or if maybe the show is a place where a noob with no experience and little knowledge is more likely to get fleeced instead?
At every gun show, there is the possibility of getting a great deal on something. The problem is many guys that are new to shooting either don't realize what they are buying or don't know what to look at to avoid getting screwed.
Gunshows can be notorious for being the dumping grounds for defective or altered guns. Unless you KNOW what you are buying I would suggest go, but look, gain as much knowledge about what you are wanting so you can make an informed decision before buying.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 11-20-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye54 View Post
Well, I am not a fan of buying used stuff (cause that is where the bad shooters end up) so I'd say go to Wholesale Sports instead and buy new the stuff you want. Do it now before the dropping dollar affects the imported prices.

But first off, what do you want? Are you big game hunting, target shooting, trap and skeet, gopher wacking or what?

Checkout some internet sites to help you decide which calibers and makes. One site I think is well thought out and informative is as follows:

www.chuckhawks.com

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the sport.
Hello EE,

I assume I'm like most people new to the sport of shooting and/or hunting, in that I'm not exactly sure (yet) what I want. I've read quite a few threads on the forum here, and thanks to the great information I've found, have been able narrow down some of the choices like caliber and action.

However, the consensus seems to be that there is no single "right" rifle, and a large part of what might be right for me will depend upon how it "fits" me. I'm not exactly sure what is meant by a good "fit", but figured one way to find out would be to jump in, buy it, and try it. Then repeat this until I've tried enough of them to figure out which ones are right for me. Since this may require cycling through quite a few models, it's only really feasible in the used market.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Tactical Rifle View Post
At every gun show, there is the possibility of getting a great deal on something. The problem is many guys that are new to shooting either don't realize what they are buying or don't know what to look at to avoid getting screwed.
Gunshows can be notorious for being the dumping grounds for defective or altered guns. Unless you KNOW what you are buying I would suggest go, but look, gain as much knowledge about what you are wanting so you can make an informed decision before buying.
That's pretty much what I'm concerned about. For every ethical seller at the show, there will probably be ten others that would simply see me as an opportunity to dump some junk at top dollar.

It's probably better to skip it altogether. Even the educational value is suspect if you can't really trust what you're being told.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:07 PM

Go to P-D Enterprises downtown. Phil and Diane are great. They will explain what fit means and make sure you are getting the right gun for your needs.
LB
Old 11-20-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I assume I'm like most people new to the sport of shooting and/or hunting, in that I'm not exactly sure (yet) what I want.
Right okay.....but do you intend to hunt big game, varmints, target shoot only or what? You still have not said what you intend to do. Do you intend to join a shooting club, like a local Fish and Game? You went through the hoops to get your PAL so you must have some kind of shooting sport in mind.

If you intend to hunt big game, then I would start out with a typical sporter weight big game caliber, such as a 270, 308, 30-06 or 7mm REM MAG. Frankly, so as not to get "recoil-itis", I suggest a 270 would be about perfect for a start.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye54 View Post
Right okay.....but do you intend to hunt big game, varmints, target shoot only or what? You still have not said what you intend to do. Do you intend to join a shooting club, like a local Fish and Game? You went through the hoops to get your PAL so you must have some kind of shooting sport in mind.

If you intend to hunt big game, then I would start out with a typical sporter weight big game caliber, such as a 270, 308, 30-06 or 7mm REM MAG. Frankly, so as not to get "recoil-itis", I suggest a 270 would be about perfect for a start.

One purpose is deer hunting. It's too late for me this season, but by opening day in 2009, I hope to be ready to go with the proper gear, and the competence to use it safely and effectively. I've narrowed the choices down to a .270 or .308 calibre, and probably a bolt action (although I have a soft spot for levers).

The other purpose is to spend some time at the shooting range this winter to see if it's something I would enjoy doing as a hobby. It might get pretty expensive trying to feed a large caliber rifle at the range, so I thought I'd pick up a .22LR or something similar that would be cheap to feed.

I've learned enough from this forum while lurking that I realize you can't choose a gun for me, so I'm not really asking for, or expecting, a recommendation for a particular gun. In fact, I'm looking forward to trying a wide variety of different guns over the course of this winter. But since I only know one other gun owner, I'm going to have to buy instead of borrow.

I've been looking through the bargain finder, but there's not much of a selection so far. I've also looked at the classifieds in a few different gun forums, and there's a lot more to choose from, but, like enthusiasts in any field, the gun owners selling on the forums are in love with their gear, and figure 10% off list is a screaming buy for their baby. I hoped the show might be an opportunity to pick up a few good buys to get started, but you've all confirmed my suspicions that going there on my own would be foolish.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB 270 View Post
Go to P-D Enterprises downtown. Phil and Diane are great. They will explain what fit means and make sure you are getting the right gun for your needs.
LB
Thanks LB. I went there a couple of days ago and browsed around for about 15 minutes. The staff was fairly busy, so I didn't talk to them that day. I'll likely have 100 stupid questions for them, and will probably handle a dozen or more pieces before I grasp what they're trying to tell me, so I didn't feel right about doing so when there were already customers waiting in line for service. I'll try again another time for sure.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:24 PM

You'd likely be disappointed with the prices at the gun show anyways. The worse thing that could happen is you end up with a poor shooter. The fact of the matter is that you wouldn't know if it was the rifle or your ability, since you are new to the sport. Best thing to do is to pick up a new rifle at a reputable shop that doesn't break your wallet. Get a scope and mounts made by a reputable company and have it installed and bore sighted by that same shop.

Unless you are a small guy then the standard sized rifles won't beat you up too much. And even less likely if you are going to stick with a standard caliber.

On another note, buy what you want, but keep in mind that the stocks on lever action rifles are designed to be compatible with the iron sights. You will likely get better results at the range with a bolt action rifle that has a stock with very little drop at the heel. It will give you less of a kick to boot (no pun intended).
Old 11-20-2008, 06:43 PM

Hey Mangler,
That is what they are there for. It's called service. They are knowledgeable and if you have 100 questions then they will have the answers. They will be able to find you something that works for you and you shouldn't feel like you are wasting their time. In my store I have time for people that have a genuine interest. I am there to educate as well as sell to people. Phil and Diane are great (if busy) so ask away, I'm sure that will be more than happy to set you on the path to making the proper purchase. Phil was on here at one time and I'm sure he would say the same thing.
LB

P.S. The Savage is an excellent rifle.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:33 PM

My Opinion:
The Edmonton gun show has been a big waste of time for the past few years. Most of the tables are covered with antiquated and abused firearms with little to no collector's value, overpriced new and used firearms, and all the junk that some people have allowed to accumulate in their closets and are hoping a dummy will walk by the table.

My biggest laugh at last year's show was Muela and Ruko knives marketed as custom knives - with custom prices attached. The next big joke was a well used Remington SPS selling for $950 without optics or mounts.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB 270 View Post
Hey Mangler,
That is what they are there for. It's called service. They are knowledgeable and if you have 100 questions then they will have the answers. They will be able to find you something that works for you and you shouldn't feel like you are wasting their time. In my store I have time for people that have a genuine interest. I am there to educate as well as sell to people. Phil and Diane are great (if busy) so ask away, I'm sure that will be more than happy to set you on the path to making the proper purchase. Phil was on here at one time and I'm sure he would say the same thing.
LB

P.S. The Savage is an excellent rifle.
Thanks LB. I see you're from Edmonton. Do you have a gun shop? If so, I'll drop by and see what you have.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Mangler said "and probably a bolt action (although I have a soft spot for levers)."

and that is an important consideration. The main reason I have bought most of the guns I have is because I fell in love with them. For some reason I "wanted' a particular rifle and when I got it I was happy no matter what I payed for it. (until the next rifle came along and caught my eye)

If you go to a gun show and see a sleek little Savage model 99 lever action in .308, wearing a compact little 2 to 7 variable, you may be smitten and want it. You can talk and deal with the seller and you may get it a little cheaper. Then if it woun't shoot MOA groups but will keep them in a 2.5 inch cluster at 100 yards you will still think she is a beauty.

Hope you find your favorite gun before you buy a good logical rifle.

Robin in Rocky
Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordur View Post
Unless you are a small guy then the standard sized rifles won't beat you up too much. And even less likely if you are going to stick with a standard caliber.
I'm 6'4" & 245lbs. I think I'd be ok with most of the calibers, but have read that it's wise to start with a smaller caliber so as not to develop a flinch.

Quote:
On another note, buy what you want, but keep in mind that the stocks on lever action rifles are designed to be compatible with the iron sights. You will likely get better results at the range with a bolt action rifle that has a stock with very little drop at the heel. It will give you less of a kick to boot (no pun intended).
Ok, that was pretty much Greek to me. I guess I have a lot to learn.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 PM

Cool

Hi Mangler,

I gotta go with LB 270, P&D is a great gun shop among other things, and Phil and Dianne are great folk's, along with their staff. I've dealt with them for many year's, and bought many a firearm there, never any problems and great customer service. So pay them another visit and don't be shy, ask them your 100 question's, they'll be more than happy to help you. Their in the gun sell'in business.

Also like LB 270 say's, Savage is a good firearm, reasonable price and lot's of variety to chose from. I've got 3, all work and shot excellent. Enough ramble for now. Have fun shopp'in for your new toy, and more fun shott'in it. Gerry.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Mangler said "and probably a bolt action (although I have a soft spot for levers)."

and that is an important consideration. The main reason I have bought most of the guns I have is because I fell in love with them. For some reason I "wanted' a particular rifle and when I got it I was happy no matter what I payed for it. (until the next rifle came along and caught my eye)

If you go to a gun show and see a sleek little Savage model 99 lever action in .308, wearing a compact little 2 to 7 variable, you may be smitten and want it. You can talk and deal with the seller and you may get it a little cheaper. Then if it woun't shoot MOA groups but will keep them in a 2.5 inch cluster at 100 yards you will still think she is a beauty.

Hope you find your favorite gun before you buy a good logical rifle.

Robin in Rocky
So true, Robin.

I did a little bit of shooting many years ago when I was a teenager. My dad had a Browning BLR in .308, and a friend had a Marlin .22. Those were the first and last rifles I ever shot, so I guess there is a bit of sentimental value for me in those old levers. Or maybe it's all of those westerns I used to watch. For whatever reason, I love the look and feel of a nice lever, so will be adding at least one keeper to my collection.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:59 PM

Depending on what range you belong too and when you go shooting I am sure you could shoot other guns while at the range if you talked too people?
I go too the Genessee range and have let others shoot some of my guns on numerous occasions.
Where are you located?
What range do you shoot at?
A buddy of mine has a new Sako 7 mm mag he wants too sight in aswell as a .243.
I would have no prob letting you squeeze a couple out of my .300 win mag .
it is always better too try a few before investing your cash, nothing worse than spending and then being disappointed with your choice?
You have till next hunting season too decide on a big game rifle so don't rush into a purchase if you have a chance too try some other calibre's first?
Just my two cents werth.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
Hi Mangler,

I gotta go with LB 270, P&D is a great gun shop among other things, and Phil and Dianne are great folk's, along with their staff. I've dealt with them for many year's, and bought many a firearm there, never any problems and great customer service. So pay them another visit and don't be shy, ask them your 100 question's, they'll be more than happy to help you. Their in the gun sell'in business.

Also like LB 270 say's, Savage is a good firearm, reasonable price and lot's of variety to chose from. I've got 3, all work and shot excellent. Enough ramble for now. Have fun shopp'in for your new toy, and more fun shott'in it. Gerry.
Hello GMC. Sounds like P&D has a very good reputation. I found them doing a google search, so I didn't really know whether they were good or bad until I started this thread.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rog Man View Post
Depending on what range you belong too and when you go shooting I am sure you could shoot other guns while at the range if you talked too people?
I go too the Genessee range and have let others shoot some of my guns on numerous occasions.
Where are you located?
What range do you shoot at?
A buddy of mine has a new Sako 7 mm mag he wants too sight in aswell as a .243.
I would have no prob letting you squeeze a couple out of my .300 win mag .
it is always better too try a few before investing your cash, nothing worse than spending and then being disappointed with your choice?
You have till next hunting season too decide on a big game rifle so don't rush into a purchase if you have a chance too try some other calibre's first?
Just my two cents werth.
I don't belong to a range yet. Getting a recommendation on that was going to be the subject of my next thread. I'm in Fort Saskatchewan, but work in Edmonton. I know there's a range in Sherwood Park, and one on the south side of Edmonton (Phoenix??). I've heard of Genesse, but I thought that one was outdoor only?

I really appreciate your offer to try your .300, and would be happy to buy the drinks afterwards if we manage to hook up sometime. I take it your recommendation on a range would be Genesse? Do any of them keep a wide variety of rifles on hand that they rent?
Old 11-21-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
I don't belong to a range yet. Getting a recommendation on that was going to be the subject of my next thread. I'm in Fort Saskatchewan, but work in Edmonton. I know there's a range in Sherwood Park, and one on the south side of Edmonton (Phoenix??). I've heard of Genesse, but I thought that one was outdoor only?

I really appreciate your offer to try your .300, and would be happy to buy the drinks afterwards if we manage to hook up sometime. I take it your recommendation on a range would be Genesse? Do any of them keep a wide variety of rifles on hand that they rent?
No, they don't keep rifles out there or rent them but it usually only takes a couple a fone calls to arrange something.
Yes the Genesee range is an outdoor range but open year round if you can get to it.
There is always spring if you can be that patient???
As for the Phoenix range yes they do have range guns for patrons too use but i don't know if they do it for rifles .
A fone call would answer that question.
I remember WAY back when i went to phoenix and shot every calibre of handgun they had before i decided on gettin a Colt .45 auto.
you have too buy their ammo but i thought it was fair using their guns and all?
As a CHAS member i am allowed too shoot at the Phoenix range on tuesday nights after 6 pm without having to purchase a day pass but the outdoor range is more fun in my opinion?
If Phoenix does have a rifle program that would be a good way too try out different calibre's.
If you can wait till spring i am sure we can arrange for several calibre's of rifles to be made available it's just a long drive out too Genessee is all.
I will definatley be going out in the spring as i damaged my .22 this hunting season and i have too verify if the scope is ok aswell i want too sight in my 30-30 lever and squeeze a few rounds out of my .300 win mag.
It's something too think about if you can wait that long before making a purchase.
I know the young fella i introduced too hunting 2 years ago wanted a big gun but i suggested the same thing too him and we went out and he shot several calibres and he wound up buying a much smaller calibre gun than he originally thought he wanted, He still thanks me for making him shoot several guns before he actually bought one.