Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 10:40 AM

Default Hunting the Pheasant Release Truck

To keep the Pheasant Release Site thread whole, and not to derail it with discussion of release times, release truck hunters, etc. I thought I'd start this new thread.

Personally I find it repulsive that so called hunters would chase after the release truck. How is that sporting?

I'm pretty sure that those who hunt the chicken-truck, aren't active members of AO. I also understand that those who hunt the truck aren't breaking any public laws or regulations. However they sure as hell aren't doing anything to foster the relationship between non-hunters and those who hunt pheasants with out worrying about the release truck.

I feel closing the release sites at 2PM daily with random releases made after 2PM would allow the birds to spread out through the site without the hunting pressure. It would allow the birds better dispersal on the site.

What are your thought on those who hunt the truck?

BW
Old 10-17-2017, 10:47 AM

I also agree, hunting the release truck is a tad unethical and dangerous I'm sure in most instances. As was mentioned in the other thread some can't make it out until after work. Rather than close the site at 2pm. I would suggest they release the birds in the morning and don't open this site until 0900 or thereabouts.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:55 AM

From the other thread;

Predicting the release is the most and only difficult part of the "hunt". They either released and you get birds or they didn't and you get none, just like everyone else. How far removed from the truck is of no relevance except for maybe jealousy. They are child's play for a decent dog anytime and anywhere on the site. I appreciate the guys chasing them around the release areas and at least allowing the dogs some exercise to find them.

Many people have no money to throw away on gas to drive an hour or more and get nothing. I personally hope these folks hit the release time, get their birds and enjoy the day before the die hard and avid "hunters" clean the birds out.

You people that are constantly bad mouthing the program and other hunters because it is not "sporting" enough should do us all a favour and actually go hunting. You can chase wild birds from Stettler to Montana and leave the "unsportman like" hunting to us wanabes. This is especially true if you are using hear say as your basis for argument.

Last evening I walked 5 miles of bush and got a limit of Ruffies flushed over dogs. This morning, after a good hike, I got two beautiful roosters, both with full tails over 30 bars. I didn't encounter another hunter on either hunt. If you are bothered by others and want to be alone there is literally hundreds of square miles of awesome country side to enjoy.

I for one think they are doing a wonderful job releasing birds and my experience has been very positive with the other hunters I have encountered. On release day it is enjoyable to watch people with their dogs getting super excited and bagging a few birds. They are literally there for the taking and I even help out those that are having a difficult time. Most would never have the opportunity otherwise, all seem safe and respectful of other people's space and most seem truly grateful at the opportunity given.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshT View Post
I also agree, hunting the release truck is a tad unethical and dangerous I'm sure in most instances. As was mentioned in the other thread some can't make it out until after work. Rather than close the site at 2pm. I would suggest they release the birds in the morning and don't open this site until 0900 or thereabouts.

Do you realize how many sites there are, and how far each truck travels during the course of a day? In order to have all birds released by 9 or 10, the truck driver would likely have to start work at 2 or 3am or so, and he would be driving into release sites that could be muddy or slippery in the dark. The only solution that would be practical, is to release on random days during each week. Of course that would mean that there may be back to back releases, and then a few days with no release, but I don't see any other way that would be practical. As far as predicting the release schedule, it has been very consistent the past few weeks, and most of us regular's have figured it out. I have only gone out twice in the past month or so, when I expected a release, and there wasn't one. As to driving an hour to a site to get no birds, it's called hunting, if you want guaranteed birds, buy them, and not bother with the hunting. When you add up the cost of licenses, shotguns, ammunition, fuel , vehicle wear and tear etc, it would be just as cheap to buy the birds.

As to hunting the truck, they could start by making it illegal to discharge a firearm while the truck is on the site. Have the driver honk his horn when he enters so that people know that he has arrived, and then honk when he leaves . And if you can't hear the horn, and you can't see the truck, then you are far enough away so as to not be a concern. To make this even less confusing, have the driver use an air horn, and honk two times when he arrives, and four times when he leaves.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-17-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
From the other thread;

Predicting the release is the most and only difficult part of the "hunt". They either released and you get birds or they didn't and you get none, just like everyone else. How far removed from the truck is of no relevance except for maybe jealousy. They are child's play for a decent dog anytime and anywhere on the site. I appreciate the guys chasing them around the release areas and at least allowing the dogs some exercise to find them.

Many people have no money to throw away on gas to drive an hour or more and get nothing. I personally hope these folks hit the release time, get their birds and enjoy the day before the die hard and avid "hunters" clean the birds out.

You people that are constantly bad mouthing the program and other hunters because it is not "sporting" enough should do us all a favour and actually go hunting. You can chase wild birds from Stettler to Montana and leave the "unsportman like" hunting to us wanabes. This is especially true if you are using hear say as your basis for argument.

Last evening I walked 5 miles of bush and got a limit of Ruffies flushed over dogs. This morning, after a good hike, I got two beautiful roosters, both with full tails over 30 bars. I didn't encounter another hunter on either hunt. If you are bothered by others and want to be alone there is literally hundreds of square miles of awesome country side to enjoy.

I for one think they are doing a wonderful job releasing birds and my experience has been very positive with the other hunters I have encountered. On release day it is enjoyable to watch people with their dogs getting super excited and bagging a few birds. They are literally there for the taking and I even help out those that are having a difficult time. Most would never have the opportunity otherwise, all seem safe and respectful of other people's space and most seem truly grateful at the opportunity given.

I agree with you, release sites are a great place to hunt. I've had great experiences, never any problems with hunters that hunt the site, not the truck!

They are put their to take, it doesn't bother me if they shoot them from a tree or spot and stalk them on the ground. Just don't slaughter them right off the truck.

I don't hunt them for the tail feathers and don't care how many bars they have on the tail feather. I enjoy eating these birds as well as chasing my dog after them. I don't need the limit to be happy, its the hunt not the kill that does it for me, always has been.

BW
Old 10-17-2017, 11:30 AM

Forums are places for discussions. As long as it stays civil, discuss to your hearts' content. I have personally had 95% great experiences at the release sites, and I certainly don't begrudge anyone without a dog shooting birds on the ground, in the sky, or out of a tree for that matter, as long as safety is exercised. However, that does not negate the reality of people who have encountered rude and/or unsafe hunters. All programs can be improved, and that is why the ACA puts out survey forms at the sites. Fill them out. They are read. Carry on boys. Hunt safe.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I agree with you, release sites are a great place to hunt. I've had great experiences, never any problems with hunters that hunt the site, not the truck!

They are put their to take, it doesn't bother me if they shoot them from a tree or spot and stalk them on the ground. Just don't slaughter them right off the truck.

I don't hunt them for the tail feathers and don't care how many bars they have on the tail feather. I enjoy eating these birds as well as chasing my dog after them. I don't need the limit to be happy, its the hunt not the kill that does it for me, always has been.

BW
I have never experienced this "slaughter off the truck" and have watched many releases. The birds fly 20 to 100s of yards and shortly there after guys and dogs are chasing them down. If it happens right now or in an hour or so makes little difference. There is some that just hide and some that are strong flyers and head for cover. Some head right on out of the site.

I don't hunt feathers either. I mention this to let folks know there is pheasant hunting beyond the release site with big healthy birds that actually know they are in danger. They can easily be identified as they are well groomed and have long healthy tails.

It is the hunt, the table fare and watching the dogs that does it for me as well. The dog's enjoyment increases with the amount of birds found and retrieved. I don't hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:39 AM

I also believe that the release program is meeting it's objective. No one is suggesting that nobody fish the hundreds of lakes that are stocked. However ethical behavior is really only governed by conscience. Last year I drove 2 hours to a new to me area near Brooks. I was the only hunter there that day and while I was unloading and preparing for a hike with my dog, the release truck pulled into the parking lot and I got a wave from the driver. It was then my decision to sit down behind my vehicle with my coffee and to turn my vision opposite of the direction the truck headed. 20 minutes later he left after a brief hello and chat. We then went for a walk and three hours later we had our birds but only flushed 4 or 5 as the area was huge. And because I don't much like hiking among the crowds and whistles and yelling that can be common at some sites, we now head further afield for private access and wild birds. However not everyone has that option and regardless how we feel, some will always try and hit the easy button.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
From the other thread;

Agreed and hunting release sites are the only locations that I have for birds. While I personally would walk away from a release truck to let released birds settle in there is nothing illegal for those that ground swat or shoot birds that are roosted. Each to their own as long as it is safe. I do like the expanded number of areas and hopefully there will be more added in the future.

Pheasants do seem to be the elk of the upland bird hunting world as the pursuit of them does bring forward some interesting behaviours that can be observed in the field.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Forums are places for discussions. As long as it stays civil, discuss to your hearts' content. I have personally had 95% great experiences at the release sites, and I certainly don't begrudge anyone without a dog shooting birds on the ground, in the sky, or out of a tree for that matter, as long as safety is exercised. However, that does not negate the reality of people who have encountered rude and/or unsafe hunters. All programs can be improved, and that is why the ACA puts out survey forms at the sites. Fill them out. They are read. Carry on boys. Hunt safe.
excellent comment. in a perfect world i would love to see a caretaker at each of the sites that monitors animals, hunters, weather, and all that goes on at each main release site. the 1 job that i would love to see is that the 'chicken truck' hands over the birds to the caretaker at whatever time they get there. and the caretaker then proceeds out to the site and distributes the birds equally and fairly. i would also like to see a few trails mowed with a few natural benches made so participants can take a rest and if need be have a butt in a place that is mowed and kept clean of veg so as to lower the fire risk. now i think that with a little bit of organization and commitment it could be a realty. but most of all, cooperation, organization, and commitment is what would be needed to make my perfect scenario come about. i know, good luck with that.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:10 PM

I have never been to a pheasant release site, but how many pheasants are released when the truck shows up? Just curious and trying to picture what goes on at the sites, thanks!

Last edited by sns2; 10-17-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
I have never been to a pheasant release site, but how many pheasants are released when the truck shows up? Just curious and trying to picture what goes on at the sites, thanks!
I think it all depends on how busy the particular site is. One forum member told me he saw 90 released at a site this year. The driver goes to a spot, opens the crate, and they fly out. Some go like hell. Others fly a short distance and walk around. If there is a parking lot full of trucks there does exist the potential for some less than safe behavior if you know what I mean, but done safely there also exists the opportunity of a great time.

I am never going to be falsely pious. Some guys I know head the other direction. I am out there to train my young dog, go home with our bag limit, and discuss the events of the hunt with my son and my buddies. When I hear the shots ring out, I head that direction and exercise manners and caution, hoping others do likewise. Make no mistake, I can have a good time without getting two birds, but I have a better time when we get our birds. Others may see things differently and that's okay too.

Last edited by sns2; 10-17-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:

I counted around 90 birds at Buffalo Lake , but they were released at two locations, as opposed to Daysland where all birds are released in one location.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I think it all depends on how busy the particular site is. One forum member told me he saw 90 released at a site this year. The driver goes to a spot, opens the crate, and they fly out. Some go like hell. Others fly a short distance and walk around. If there is a parking lot full of trucks there does exist the potential for some less than safe behavior if you know what I mean, but done safely there also exists the opportunity of a great time.

I am never going to be falsely pious. Some guys I know head the other direction. I am out there to train my young dog, go home with our bag limit, and discuss the events of the hunt with my son and my buddies. When I hear the shots ring out, I head that direction and exercise manners and caution, hoping others do likewise. Make no mistake, I can have a good time without getting two birds, but I have a better time when we get our birds. Others may see things differently and that's okay too.
Thanks for the info! I might have to go for a walk around one of these sites if I get a free weekend from school in Saskatoon.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Banned

Release sites should be closed to hunting for 24 hours the day of release.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:02 PM

I went out to the south plains/ Vandenberg location this past Sunday as my first time ever Hunting pheasant. Got there bright and early as I was not sure what to expect. Turned out i ran into no one else. Walked around for 3 hours and flushed 5 birds and got my limit of 2. Was really happy as it was my first time and I did not have a dog to help me out. Although I think it would be a blast with a dog. I am hoping to get out again when I get home from work in 9 days. Hopefully have the same success as I hear some unpleasant stories of unsportsmanlike conduct.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:39 PM

Not a bird hunter but if I was I certainly wouldn't be following around the release trucks. No different than Suffield or a high fenced hunt.......I need more of an adventure and challenge to make the hunt satisfying.
I am not against those that do however as long as it is legal......just not my thing.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:40 PM

When I did the bird release at buffalo lake the rule was to close hunting after 2pm so birds could be released. Part of the reason I quit was because there were some people who could legally shoot after closing time and shot birds as they were being released from truck. Found these people were more concerned about getting a bird than my safety and shot in my direction to many times. I still think that closing site at 2pm would work but site would have to be shut down for everyone. This gives the birds time to get oriented and makes for a good hunt for everyone.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:07 PM

Default Hunting the Pheasant Release Truck

Quote:

This is why they don't let the public aware when they release, to make it a ethical and fair hunt. May be the odd time you are hunting and they happen to be releasing but any decent bird hunter I hope would have the sense not to round up some gimme birds. It's more then coming home with your limit if you have a dog, watching them in their zone is half the experience.

Today was another great day with my wirehair and buddy's gsp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Guide5689; 10-17-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:20 PM

When I don't want to get skunked, I stop in at Sobeys near home and get a rotisserie chicken. They even let me pick which one! Sometimes I pay extra to get the humanely raised one. Whatever that means, but, it makes me feel so special.
sincerely,
Snowflake
Old 10-17-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
To keep the Pheasant Release Site thread whole, and not to derail it with discussion of release times, release truck hunters, etc. I thought I'd start this new thread.

Personally I find it repulsive that so called hunters would chase after the release truck. How is that sporting?

I'm pretty sure that those who hunt the chicken-truck, aren't active members of AO. I also understand that those who hunt the truck aren't breaking any public laws or regulations. However they sure as hell aren't doing anything to foster the relationship between non-hunters and those who hunt pheasants with out worrying about the release truck.

I feel closing the release sites at 2PM daily with random releases made after 2PM would allow the birds to spread out through the site without the hunting pressure. It would allow the birds better dispersal on the site.

What are your thought on those who hunt the truck?

BW

I drive a release truck and have seen everything even a bird shot shortly after leaving the hand of our volunteer. Now I will leave the area if it is being hunted because of the danger to our volunteers.

But usually there is an unwritten rule that you leave freshly released birds for an hour before hunting.

In addition, the birds being released by ACA fly forever after being released. They travel quite far and are very good at eluding hunters and frustrating dogs. This isn’t A grocery store this is a hunt.

Enjoy the sport and the great feelings you get being outdoors. Be safe and respectful.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_j0ker View Post
I drive a release truck and have seen everything even a bird shot shortly after leaving the hand of our volunteer. Now I will leave the area if it is being hunted because of the danger to our volunteers.

But usually there is an unwritten rule that you leave freshly released birds for an hour before hunting.

In addition, the birds being released by ACA fly forever after being released. They travel quite far and are very good at eluding hunters and frustrating dogs. This isn’t A grocery store this is a hunt.

Enjoy the sport and the great feelings you get being outdoors. Be safe and respectful.

Obviously many people haven't heard of this unwritten rule about leaving freshly released birds for an hour, or they just Don't care. When I ha e been at a site during a release, which was several times last fall, most people that saw the truck followed it to where it released, and started shooting as soon as the truck left. Several people didn't even wait for the truck to leave before they opened fire. I watched some released birds fly for several hundred yards while some ran around on the ground close to the truck until the shooting started. An once the shooting started, many people realized that a release was happening, and headed directly toward the gun fire. I chose to stay well away until the shooting subsided.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-18-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:21 AM

My 2 friends in Camrose raised Pheasants,,,about 200 each between the 2 of them.

They would release some, shoot some around their places, and fill their freezers.

The best truck is the one used to raise them.
If I was looking to follow any truck,,, that would be the one I'd be looking for.

They did this because they wanted to give back, very humble gesture in the quest of sharing.

Both are semi retired now, bigger and better things came along.

Don
Old 10-18-2017, 07:25 AM

I just saw the title and the first thing that crossed my mind was: would a .50 BMG do it?
Old 10-18-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
Not a bird hunter but if I was I certainly wouldn't be following around the release trucks. No different than Suffield or a high fenced hunt.......I need more of an adventure and challenge to make the hunt satisfying.
I am not against those that do however as long as it is legal......just not my thing.
I prefer wild birds also,far more challenging and great exercise.The best thing about the release sites is it keeps many of the hunters happy and saves the wild ones for me and my buddies.
I do think the birds are sometimes shot before the have had any chance to roam a little.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:

This morning, after a good hike, I got two beautiful roosters, both with full tails over 30 bars. I didn't encounter another hunter on either hunt. If you are bothered by others and want to be alone there is literally hundreds of square miles of awesome country side to enjoy.
I've gotta say that the release site birds I've shot have been in excellent condition, with a bunch of long tails as well.

They have been comparable to the wild ones I've shot this week in size and plumage, if not superior.

Kudos to the ACA for the condition of the released roosters. Maybe some melanistic for next year?
Old 10-18-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guide5689 View Post
This is why they don't let the public aware when they release, to make it a ethical and fair hunt. May be the odd time you are hunting and they happen to be releasing but any decent bird hunter I hope would have the sense not to round up some gimme birds. It's more then coming home with your limit if you have a dog, watching them in their zone is half the experience.

Today was another great day with my wirehair and buddy's gsp.
Awesome! I hope to have a hunting dog once school is over and I can put the proper work in with them. Would love to see a good dog work!
Old 10-18-2017, 08:48 AM

This really is no different then the sask whitail hunter shooting off a feeder, if that what you call hunting and are fine with shooting from a truck then so be it. I'd rather go home skunked and enjoy the day with a good hike and learning experience. Same guy who goes home and brags to his buddies how crazy the hunt was, in reality he walked 20 ft from the truck shot two birds flying out of a truck!

Old 10-18-2017, 10:07 AM

This thread has been eye opening to say the least. I never knew anything about this type of bird "hunting", release sights or what goes on. Wow...
Old 10-18-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
This thread has been eye opening to say the least. I never knew anything about this type of bird "hunting", release sights or what goes on. Wow...
The simple fact is, that all some people care about is killing their two roosters, and they will do anything that they can legally get away with to accomplish that. Yet other people go to the release sites to get some fresh air and exercise, or to give their dog a workout, and having birds to take home is a bonus. For me, watching the dog work, and getting some exercise are why I visit the sites, and I prefer to avoid the actual releases, and the resulting frenzy that often accompanies them.