Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 06:05 PM

I just write the charge weight on the side of the case, as you can see in the above pics.

The sharpie stayed on after each shot and came off in the tumbler.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:49 PM

Thanks for very good information on the ladder test...... I just started to learn about this and was doing it poorly.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:50 PM

I’ve been doing what I thought was the proper way?

This time I loaded 5 at each charge weight, whatever groups the best without pressure signs is where I should focus my efforts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2018, 09:21 AM

I learned how valuable a chronograph is yesterday.

I had loaded up some 7mm Rem Mag before and shot all the way to “max” loads based off Barnes load data. I shot them and never saw any pressure signs all the way up to max, but I didn’t have a chronograph.

I found Hodgdon data to be way different than Barnes, so I loaded up some at Hodgdons data. Well on the first few shots I was 100fps over their max velocity. I was shooting 68 grains of H1000 to start and was seeing faster velocities than their max load of 73.8
Old 04-16-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I dont like compressed charges for just that reason. The longer they sit the more likely the bullet is to move some. Does nothing for consistecy. If u are loading and shooting immediately no big deal but not my thing for hunting loads. I switch powders.
Totally ! .. and don't overlook some great new powders that will give you near perfect load densities and similar, or better velocities and great accuracy... Ramshot being one, Alliant another. There are others as well.
Unless you have a particular requirement for shooting compressed powders
the days of the drop tube appear to be pretty much over. Good luck with your loading. Looking good so far.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:38 AM

Default looks great

Instead of writing loads on your brass just put segregated loads in sandwich bags with a small paper with load data.A bullet puller will also save components if loads show either high pressure or crappy accuracy.....like an eraser.Nice shooting ........Harold
Old 04-16-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
IMHO,
Small 3 shot groups are very satisfying and fun,
but individually indicate little useful load development information, especially when lacking a full series of chrony and incremental loading data.
Re-loaders, (who just want to duplicate factory performance) will say ‘job done’.
Hand-loaders, (striving for custom tuned ammunition) will say ‘it’s a good start’.

What you have proved is that you, and your rifle, and re-loads, are capable of producing accuracy suitable for performing further load development.
I submit you could have stopped after the second group

IMHE, Please allow me to make the following hopefully helpful suggestions.
Your target notes are incomplete and lack, specific bullet ID, CBTO loaded length, case prep, time & date fired, density altitude weather data, elevation or range ID.
If you keep a complete range notebook or other record, all you need on the target is the date and target ID.
A photo of your range log would be helpful, as the missing data could be there.
What would be even better is a look at your loading and firing spreadsheet, or a list of the data fields you are recording.

Loading and shooting groups can be pleasurable practice but also time consuming and expensive, and many barrels are more life limited than others.
IMHO, We want to gather the maximum amount of information with every shot we make.

I suggest you Google “Audette ladder test”.

When Creighton Audette developed his ladder test, chrono gauges were crude, marginally accurate, did not have modern electronic clocks or optical sensors, and were not in general use by hand-loaders. With the use of an inexpensive Chrony we can now easily gather information Audette needed to guestimate by inferring proxy results.

IMHE, An Audette ladder shot over a chrony will produce more worthwhile information in ~15 shots than can be discovered shooting ~75 shots in groups.

I begin my load development with an Audette ladder (@300-400 yds, & powder charge increments of .5% (NOT .5gr) and bullet seated at or very near the lands),
then graph the velocity and POI results using an electronic spreadsheet.
This usually reveals nodes worth further development, as well as velocity gain / powder increase, and maximum powder charge for the individual firearm.
The variability of target POI clearly shows the result of barrel harmonics which can similarly produce nodes of precision.
Once nodes are identified, I develop these further using groups @100, and smaller powder increments.

IMHO, Testing is only as good as the information it gathers.
Complete records are essential

Good Luck, YMMV.
Is your 150 yard deer way deader than my 150 yard deer?
Old 04-16-2018, 12:09 PM

Hey DK~I'm no authority on reloading (or much else ) but having been at it for maybe 6-7 years, with great success on .223, .204R, .243 and recently 17 Hornet, I have learned a few things.

For my purposes, I have no need/desire to load to the fastest possible speeds because they offer no real advantage, and just present potential problems. I follow the Hodgedon reloading data limits, but if the powder I'm using isn't made by Hodgedon/IMR...I never assume that data (=powder charge) for a given bullet weight now carries over to a different powder. I've yet to work up a load that shot best on the lower end of the spectrum, but the same can be said about the upper limits too. The "sweet spot" tends to be a bout 3/4 of the way up the ladder, but in spite of the extra work...I check the whole range in round #1. Round #2~refine the best shooters. Round #3~load about a dozen of the winners. Enough to confirm #1 and #2, AND zero the scope. I may deviate from that plan if I'm hell-bent on a particular bullet type/weight...and focus on that.

17 Hornet may be the exception to what I just said...but I'm not done with that.

Re: the comment on the verniers~I agree. Ditch the digitals, they're too distracting. It's what I did.

Case length~I know this is the internet where everyone is an expert but me but I also get some inconsistencies in case lengths, both after trimming..and after chamber/de-burr. Lots of factors at play there, but I've come to not stress about a few thou. I mean...I DO stress about it and do everything in my power to avoid inconsistencies of any kind, but I remind myself that these are desktop tools made for weekend warrior types like yours truly, not high-precision, NASA-grade equipment. So yes..I aim for perfection, and don't stress about how close I get.

As for identifying rounds~I never write on them, I do what someone else mentioned earlier. I used hinged MTM boxes and on the inside of the lid, I'll have a strip of masking tape with the load data above the loaded rounds, and make sure there is an empty row between the various ones to avoid confusion. Also, before my range trip, I'll write the critical info on the target in bold, permanent marker large enough to see through the scope. When I'm peering through the scope, and have my ammo labeled that way...I can confirm (even before every shot) that the loaded round being dropped-in corresponds with the target I'm shooting downrange. Simple, but it works.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Instead of writing loads on your brass just put segregated loads in sandwich bags with a small paper with load data.A bullet puller will also save components if loads show either high pressure or crappy accuracy.....like an eraser.Nice shooting ........Harold
I bought some case holder things. I have a proper set up now.

I also do have a bullet puller and I’ll have to pull those over pressure 7mm rounds this afternoon

Last edited by DiabeticKripple; 04-16-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I bought some case holder things. I have a proper set up now.

I also do have a bullet puller and I’ll have to pull those over pressure 7mm rounds this afternoon
One of the best reloading investments you could ever make is a copy of Quickload. ROI is very fast if you plan on getting the best out of your reloads and do even a minimal amount of shooting.
You will have more valuable info at your fingertips than with a dozen reloading manuals.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:01 PM

Default Get a Ken Waters

Pet Loads book if they are still in print.He is deceased now but his loads are bang on in almost all of my firearms without exception.