Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-05-2017, 07:09 PM

Default My first day reloading

well i spent most of the day trying to reload some 150gr TTSX in 7mm Rem Mag.

Got everything de-primed then SS tumbled and dried. I neck sized them with a Lee Collet die, trimmed to 2.490" then deburred, chamfered.

After i deburred and chamfered, i re-measured the cases and they got longer? Most were around the 2.495" mark, so i trimmed them back to 2.490" again for a consistent length between them all.

Next i went to try and figure out the COAL to the lands in my Tikka T3. I took an unsized case, necked it down a bit to get a better grip on the bullet, seated a bullet long and chambered it. I did this 10 times and got pretty much the same length +/- a thousandth, 3.417"

I then coloured a bullet in sharpie to confirm what I had just done. its very hard to tell where the rifling stopped touching the bullet. I do have a Hornady OAL gauge in the mail.

Next i tested my longest COAL in my mag which i was able to get 3.367" but i went to 3.365" for a bit more room for reliability. This length should give me the 0.050" jump to the lands that Barnes recommends for the TTSX.

I then measured some of the case necks to make sure they were the same width, when some measured 0.312" and some 0.309". I measured the inside and some were 0.284" and some 0.282" which gave me an inconsistent neck tension for the 0.284" bullets.

so i went to neck size again, didnt set the die up right and stripped the top cap out the top, wrecking the die. I got about half the cases necked to the 0.309" diameter when it broke. I think the press cammed over as i didnt have the die in far enough. I got some epoxy and glued the top cap back in, and ordered a new die as no one in Red Deer has it. So hopefully this epoxy will let me finish this batch of cases so i can shoot on the weekend.

Am I overthinking everything? New to reloading and i wanted consistent cases.

Ive got some Winchester primers, IMR 4138 and H1000 to try.

Tomorrow I might try some .308 Win as well.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:15 PM

Throw your digital calipers in the closet, and buy a set of vernier calipers.

You're fretting over the thickness of an onion skin.

Get to the range and pew pew.

The rest will fall into place soon enough.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-05-2017, 07:21 PM
Banned

Looks like your paying attention. Don't over think it. Good luck
Old 10-05-2017, 08:42 PM

Well the epoxy worked, got the rest done.

Got the primers put in, now time for supper, then to powder and bullet seating!

My plan is to start at the min load and load 3 rounds at .5gr increments until I get to the max.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:26 PM

If the top of your Lee collet die popped off, then you're using too much pressure when sizing. If you feel you're not getting enough neck tension, then remove the sizing mandrel, chuck it in a drill and polish it using 1000x wet/dry sandpaper. While your die is apart, you may want to break any sharp edges between the collet fingers with the same sandpaper if you're noticing the dies are sticking or you're getting vertical striation marks on the case necks.

The machining on the Lee Collets are a bit rough, but they work very well and putting a few minutes of polishing will help them operate much smoother. While you can't really do anything on your epoxied die, Lee will send you a replacement cap under warranty if it happens again on your next dies.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:28 PM

Default welcome!

There is excellent hep here we are very lucky to have some world class experts. Not me. It is a rewarding hobby that will last a life tme.

Enjoy chasing the "one hole" target. BTW it is possible.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:35 PM

Well got the first 2 batches finished. 22 rounds of both H1000 and IMR 4831.

Going to try .308 tomorrow and I should have a nice long day at the range Sunday. Maybe I’ll go Monday too to break it up a bit.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:44 AM

Default Start shooting now

Keep good records, permanent ones. People here will ask for MV and group size at what range? Let me know if the marker writing on the shell case is still there after you fire?

Looks like you are off to a good start.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Keep good records, permanent ones. People here will ask for MV and group size at what range? Let me know if the marker writing on the shell case is still there after you fire?

The marker will still be there.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-06-2017, 07:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

X2!

When I started out I would write info on little pieces of paper, tape I put on the ammo box, etc. After a little time those papers would find there way somewhere and the build up info was forgotten.

Keep a detailed log of the build up so not only will you know what worked but you'll know what doesn't work as well.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:14 AM

I have a “journal” that I’ll keep updated with wind, humidity, temps etc as well as group size, range, powder etc.

I don’t have a chrony, should I be looking at getting one?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I have a “journal” that I’ll keep updated with wind, humidity, temps etc as well as group size, range, powder etc.

Get your group size to shrink, before worrying about your velocity.
Shoot at distance to get your come ups.

Chronographing is a ways off. IMO.

If you ask nicely I'm sure offers of a chronograhing session will pile in from good natured folks.
Myself included.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-06-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Next i went to try and figure out the COAL to the lands in my Tikka T3. I took an unsized case, necked it down a bit to get a better grip on the bullet, seated a bullet long and chambered it. I did this 10 times and got pretty much the same length +/- a thousandth, 3.417"
does it still fit into the magazine?
Old 10-06-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
does it still fit into the magazine?
Quote:

Next i tested my longest COAL in my mag which i was able to get 3.367" but i went to 3.365" for a bit more room for reliability. This length should give me the 0.050" jump to the lands that Barnes recommends for the TTSX.

Last edited by DiabeticKripple; 10-06-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:54 AM

You are off to a good start. Keep being as meticulous as you are, it will pay dividends. As far as a chronograph, as far as I am concerned they are a vital tool when developing loads. I rely on the velocity to numbers as on key measure of the pressure being produced. I have often found that I hit book max velocity at loads FAR below the book load. A serviceable one by Chrony can be had for less than $200 sand a top of the line Dopler is now down to $600 U.S.

As an example, of how useful they are, I have one 308 pushing a 130 grain bullet at 3100 fps with 47 grains of IMR 4895, out of a 21" barrel. Two loading books have the same top velocity of 3100 fps, both out of 24" barrels and both using 51 and 52 grains of IMR 4895. The chronograph told me I was at max pressure long before I got anywhere near the max weight of powder. I am sure if I tried loading another 4 or 5 grains of powder in this particular rifle, that unpleasantness would occur.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:

If you are not comfortable with computer spreadsheets then a paper journal is (IMHO) your next best option.
I have developed a computer spreadsheet that allows me to easily maintain ~55 individual data points. It provides a full record of for each case, that contains complete information of case prep, load, and firing results. It allows me to graph on any data field, but is most useful to identify nodes of velocity and group size for each load variable.

I crony every shot fired during load development, and regard the data obtained as vital.

IMHE, a remote readout is very convenient, but I do not use any of the statistical calculations, as I prefer to let my spreadsheet do any desired statistical calculation, as this is more flexible and easier to manage results.

Like any tool it becomes more informative and accurate the more you use it.
I was never fully confident of the accuracy of my Chrony, until I got serious about having a very solid mounting system, that allows me to mount 2 Chronys in tandem. I have recently purchased a 3 sensor Oehler 35 which I suspect will be even better.

I currently own 2 Chronys with remote, 1 Chrony without remote, and the new Oehler. (I intend to sell the oldest Chrony without remote.)

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you, sorry I missed that part. It almost defeats the purpose of measuring COAL on the rifle. I have the same issue on my A7, but my Savage has a blind magazine and it is fine.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Thank you, sorry I missed that part. It almost defeats the purpose of measuring COAL on the rifle. I have the same issue on my A7, but my Savage has a blind magazine and it is fine.
I measured the COAL on the rifle to make sure that I was seating them 0.050” off the lands as recommended by Barnes and some other posters.

If the Mag was longer, and I seated to Mag length I could be too close to the lands.

I went and bought a chronograph anyways as I’ll need it at some point. Got a shooters chrony with the remote readout.

Qwert, I’m pretty good at excel so I’ll probably make a spreadsheet with all the info and stats, but I’ll keep the paper journal as a hard copy too.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Get your group size to shrink, before worrying about your velocity.
Shoot at distance to get your come ups.

Chronographing is a ways off. IMO.

If you ask nicely I'm sure offers of a chronograhing session will pile in from good natured folks.
Myself included.
Exactly what Dick says...
Get the size of the group down and then maybe it will be time for a crony...
Might be a good idea to get a journal that has water proof pages in it too.
Look forward to the results .
Rob
Old 10-06-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
snip
I went and bought a chronograph anyways as I’ll need it at some point. Got a shooters chrony with the remote readout.
IMHO, the basic Shooting Chrony with remote is a great tool.
Just don't shoot it OR THE SKYSCREEN RODS

The skyscreens are not required with a cloudy, overcast sky, I suggest using small dia. drinking straws rather than the metal rods as a sighting aid.

I keep a piece of cord tied to the Chrony as a gauge for consistent muzzle distance.

IMHE, all chronies work best on a solid mounting, I now use Manfrotto 190 & 055 pro tripods, kijiji is a great source (~$100 with head)

Quote:
Qwert, I’m pretty good at excel so I’ll probably make a spreadsheet with all the info and stats, but I’ll keep the paper journal as a hard copy too.
I do not use a computer in the field.
My data spreadsheet tracks individual cases and prep performed,
then I make and print out a loadsheet plan,
which is first used on the loading bench,
then stored in the MTM box with the loaded cartridges,
then results and data noted on this sheet in the field.
The loadsheet and notes are stapled to the targets shot.
The notes are later entered and copied to the fired spreadsheet at home,
and used for both complete accumulated & compiled record, and further analysis.
Easier to do than describe.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:58 PM

I think I might be compressing the Varget in the .308.

The TTSX is longer than a conventional bullet, and I’m seating them at 2.830” which is max Mag length again (distance to lands is 2.973”)

When I got to my 42.5gr load I started noticing a little crunching sound and it’s getting worse as I go up in weight. Looking in the case mounted, at 45.5gr the powder is right up to the top of the shoulder at the base of the neck.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:07 PM

should i be crimping these rounds a little bit to make sure that the powder doesnt push the bullet back out?
Old 10-06-2017, 09:58 PM

First if you haven't already try starting a bullet or using your thumb over the case neck. Wrap in a few times with your finger to help settle the powder. A drop tube on your funnel will help too. I've even heard of some people using an electrick toothbrush to help settle the powder. It should give you a little more room before you start crunching.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:22 PM

I use a compressed load of Varget in my 308 match loads and in several other cartridges as well.
I cover the case mouth with my index finger and tap the case a few times on the bench top before seating the bullet.
I don't crimp any bullets except those in lever actions.
Cat
Old 10-07-2017, 09:15 AM

I did put the slightest crimp on because some of the bullets were not seating in fully, they were popping back out slightly. Once I finally got them all to seat at the right depth, I put my Lee crimp die in, screwed it down a 1/2 turn and crimped. Peace of mind lol
Old 10-07-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I did put the slightest crimp on because some of the bullets were not seating in fully, they were popping back out slightly. Once I finally got them all to seat at the right depth, I put my Lee crimp die in, screwed it down a 1/2 turn and crimped. Peace of mind lol
I dont like compressed charges for just that reason. The longer they sit the more likely the bullet is to move some. Does nothing for consistecy. If u are loading and shooting immediately no big deal but not my thing for hunting loads. I switch powders.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:51 PM

Well I shot all the handloads today. Took 4 hours to shoot them all to allow the barrels to cool down. Got some really good groups and some not so good ones.

I never saw any pressure signs in the 7mm Rem Mag all the way up to max loads so I think I might load some more a bit higher than max.

In the .308 I got pressure signs (sticky bolt) at 45.0gr and at 45.5 it was worse, but the 45.0gr load had all 3 holes touching so i will be playing around that amount of powder. The bolt lift at 45.0 wasn’t too bad but a bit more than normal.

Sound about right to you guys?
Old 10-09-2017, 05:05 PM

Good start there. One error I made when I started loading was chasing OAL. Especially with lead pointed bullets, bullet length may vary a few thou. Since the bullet seater pushes on the ogive, leave it alone once set, even if your OAL changes a few thousandths. The difference is in the tip, not the seated part in the case. Took me 50 rounds to figure that out! Lol
Old 10-09-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
Good start there. One error I made when I started loading was chasing OAL. Especially with lead pointed bullets, bullet length may vary a few thou. Since the bullet seater pushes on the ogive, leave it alone once set, even if your OAL changes a few thousandths. The difference is in the tip, not the seated part in the case. Took me 50 rounds to figure that out! Lol
Yup I set the length with the first bullet, and don’t change it unless there’s one that won’t fit in the mag, then I’ll set depth off that one and redo the others so everything is set at the same depth.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Well I shot all the handloads today. Took 4 hours to shoot them all to allow the barrels to cool down. Got some really good groups and some not so good ones.

I never saw any pressure signs in the 7mm Rem Mag all the way up to max loads so I think I might load some more a bit higher than max.

In the .308 I got pressure signs (sticky bolt) at 45.0gr and at 45.5 it was worse, but the 45.0gr load had all 3 holes touching so i will be playing around that amount of powder. The bolt lift at 45.0 wasn’t too bad but a bit more than normal.

Sound about right to you guys?
If you are getting ANY stickyness on bolt lift you are over pressure. You are also shooting in fairly cool weather. The pressure will be worse at 25 above. Strongly suggesy you back off the 45 grain load at least 2 grains and fool around in that area. What knd of velocity were you getting at 45 grains. My bet is u are over what the manual says they were getting at 45 grains.

Same as the 7. What vel because u want to stop when u hot book max vel not necessarily the max charge weight. Also suggest u not go over book max charge till u have a couple of years under your belt. I have been doing this extensively for 50 years and i rarely go over max published loads.