Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 11:54 AM

Default Gifting meat to out of province

Howdy all,

My folks are visiting with us for a couple of weeks and I was thinking to send some meat with them so they will enjoy some venison at home as we do. I have some whitetail and some mule meat left over from last year that I was thinking of giving them, as well as some of this year elk harvest. I was also thinking to take my dad out hunting a mulie doe I have a tag for and pack some of that with them as well. He used to hunt when he was young, but has not done so in many many years. So I thought that this is something we could do together.

I know I read something about it in the regs, but had a brief look just now and could not find it. My guess is I can send them back with a suitcase full of different meat and they do have an empty one to take back since they brought us a load of stuff.

Has anyone done it before and what do I need in order to do so? I brought them some meat every time I visited, but it was a few pounds and it was my meat, so I am wondering if it is different from them bringing 15-20 kilos of my meat in their suitcase.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:55 PM

Read through the section of "Alberta export permit" in the regs. Not sure how I missed it previously. Do I (or they) really need to get a permit to export the meat? It will be a mix of at least 4 different animals, two or three from last year and two from this year (one was taken a couple of weeks ago and one yet to be taken). I will try to stop at fish and wildlife office if I get a chance to ask them about it.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:38 PM

Yes, you do require the permit, and if they are traveling by plane and were questioned, airport security/customs will refer the investigation to F&W if it involves wild game.

It's $20 at any F&W office and requires your names and license/tag number(s). No big deal, and could save a big headache.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:51 PM

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...m-alberta.aspx

According to this technically they would need an export permit. It's $20 (from the regs, General->Exporting). I'm sure game meat leaves the province the way you're describing without a permit all the time.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:17 PM

Really!!!! Even after processing? Like I have camped in sask and took some breakfast deer sasuages with me from alberta. The sausages were mixed with beef annd pork bought from a local butcher.

Did i break the law???. How is this any different from me making my own sausages using turkey bought from the store. Isnt the meat considered processed once it leaves the butcher?
Old 10-18-2017, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I have stopped at the F&W office earlier today and pretty much told them exactly what I wrote here. Yes, I need to get the permit; it costs $21 (including the tax) and they only take cash. In order to get the permit, I need to provide them with my driver's license, the animals the meat is from and the total weight of meat from each animal and my parents' info. They said they will figure out the tags themselves. You can call in with the info and come pick up the permit later in the day, so it does take some time to do it, do not expect to just drop in and get it done right away.

Going to get the permit next week once the weights are figured out.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys!

I have stopped at the F&W office earlier today and pretty much told them exactly what I wrote here. Yes, I need to get the permit; it costs $21 (including the tax) and they only take cash. In order to get the permit, I need to provide them with my driver's license, the animals the meat is from and the total weight of meat from each animal and my parents' info. They said they will figure out the tags themselves. You can call in with the info and come pick up the permit later in the day, so it does take some time to do it, do not expect to just drop in and get it done right away.

Going to get the permit next week once the weights are figured out.
Yup , you have the info and are going about it the legal way .. however you must have an office with a slow receptionist . Our local office completes it all in 5 minutes while i wait .
Old 10-19-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
Really!!!! Even after processing? Like I have camped in sask and took some breakfast deer sasuages with me from alberta. The sausages were mixed with beef annd pork bought from a local butcher.

Did i break the law???. How is this any different from me making my own sausages using turkey bought from the store. Isnt the meat considered processed once it leaves the butcher?
Technically, yes you would need a permit. Wildlife is wildlife until its chewed and swallowed. I highly doubt they would care about a hunter taking a few sausages on a camping trip though. Now if you were transporting a large amount out of province, that would be different. For instance, giving meat to someone or changing province of residence.

Processing is only relevant to having the tag on the carcass.

Gotta remember these rules exist to stop poaching and sale of wildlife. Wildlife trafficking is second only to drugs as far as profit generated. It's not treated the same as meat bought form a store.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:13 AM

No need to get a permit to export steaks or sausage that has been gifted for legally gotten game ,
If a hunter is here and exports his or her game they only need the license and if a trophy is to be exported and permit is required ,
why complicate this folks.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post

I just Checked Sasks regs and it appears you broke the law on both sides of the border. Theirs says no person who is not a legal resident of Sask may import wild game without a import permit.

I usually hunt deer in Sask and after reading it seems like it is easier to export the unprocessed carcass just need the meat tag attached. Need an export permit for processed meat. No mention of importing in Alberta's regs though.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedive View Post
I just Checked Sasks regs and it appears you broke the law on both sides of the border. Theirs says no person who is not a legal resident of Sask may import wild game without a import permit.

I usually hunt deer in Sask and after reading it seems like it is easier to export the unprocessed carcass just need the meat tag attached. Need an export permit for processed meat. No mention of importing in Alberta's regs though.
Thanks Kedive. I guess I did unknowingly. I'll get a permit next time I do so but really it was me camping in another province. so it seems a bit excessive to me and almost reminds me of the alcohol law in BC where we are not allowed to bring wine back from there.

am not selling it or anything. am consuming it at camp with my family.