Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 08:59 AM

Default Trail Cam Question

How much activity on a trail cam is "a lot" of activity?

I've got my two trail cams set up 100 yards away from each other where game trails intersect. My blind is set up nearby. Whitetails (mostly groups of does) have wandered by 10 times since late September. Is that a lot? Should my cams be seeing deer every day, or are a couple sightings a week enough to mark it as a "hot spot"?

Also on my cams; a pair of grouse hunters (public land), and a pair of moose that I've seen almost as often as the deer. Anyone with a moose tag in 314?
Old 10-18-2017, 09:23 AM

Strength in numbers bro, If you have does in the area that means the Bucks will soon follow in the coming weeks. This'll be noticable by rubs and scrapes in the general area. The question to ask is, are you entering the area to much?, this could be the reason for the lack of activity on your cams. Deer are great at patterning humans, it doesn't take much to spoke them this is especially true right after they shed their velvet. If your targeting a a certain buck I'd say wait till the rut. If your just hunting, hunt away.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:27 AM

That is not really alot of traffic, but not nothing either. A big thing to focus on is when not how much. a spot can have all the traffic in the world but if its all nighttime activity thats when I would be really concerned. The bucks will be coming to find the does very shortly.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:32 AM

10 times in a bit over 2 weeks is decent id say. pretty good chance of seeing them if you went and sat there.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:59 PM

Depends if it's 10 times during the day or 10 times during the night. Night pictures are great for knowing which deer are in the area...but make it pretty tough to hunt if all you get is night pictures of your target buck