Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 09:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Answer me this? Why were police so respected 20 years ago and more?

Is it that we were taught to respect them? Or were they respectable?

I have nowhere near the respect for the badge that I used to.
Oh 20-30 years ago I respected them, had a few muck ups and ended up in the drunk tank a little bruised up and deserved what I got 100%,did not comply, resisted, mouthy etc I still do respect the law especially now that I am older and have a better understanding/perspective on our society in general. Plus I don't heal as quickly

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-29-2016, 09:42 AM

Default what a pair of heros

RCMP at their finest again !! These clowns should be ashamed of themselves. Of course their actions will be justified by the higher ups because the couple resisted. I hope things go very bad for the officers involved. Firing would be a good start.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Answer me this? Why were police so respected 20 years ago and more?

Is it that we were taught to respect them? Or were they respectable?

I have nowhere near the respect for the badge that I used to.
1. We were a more respectful society that understood our responsibility to society vs society's responsibility to us.

2. Rose coloured glasses - the old days weren't always better. I personally believe are police forces are much better trained these days to deal with everything from use of force to identification of mental health issues.

3. There was no constant social media feed 20+ years ago. Regrettably these media bites often only show a snap shot of what happened and we do not have copious video footage from 20+years ago.

I will now retire to watch what others have to say on the matter. I have stated my opinion and answered your question.

Last edited by CMichaud; 10-29-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
1. We were a more respectful society that understood our responsibility to society vs societies responsibility to us.

2. Rose coloured glasses - the old days weren't always better. I personally believe are police forces are much better trained these days to deal with everything from use of force to identification of mental health issues.

3. There was no constant social media feed 20+ years ago. Regrettably these media bites often only show a snap shot of what happened and we do not have copious video footage from 20+years ago.

I will now retire to watch what others have to say on the matter. I have stated my opinion and answered your question.
thanks.

In my opinion, cops today seem to have far less patience than they did in the past. I've never been arrested - not that I didn't deserve it sometimes.

Police were more apt to talk than to react. Things I got talking to for 20 years ago would likely end in a beatdown today. I mean, come on, was it really necessary to be dragging two old people down the stairs? They couldn't come to some agreement during a strata meeting? What it seems like is mere police presence escalate situations and people end up being arrested for stupid stuff - is that society or the police attitude causing it?

People's perceptions these days and what they feel the need to call the police for this day in age is out to lunch - but the police have created it. Don't defend yourself, don't take care of your own problems - call us and we'll take care of it. They have created this dependence and it shouldn't be.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am not defending the officer's behavior, but if the old man had done what he was told, instead of hanging onto the rails , and making the situation as difficult as possible, none of this would have happened. The old man certainly wasn't setting a good example for his grandchild. As I posted previously, the video makes pretty much everyone involved look bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I see it different.

I see two people not following police instruction and apparently breaking the law. They were being told to leave and the cop was quite calm throughout it even when the little kid was running up and hitting him.

The age of them makes no difference to me - if anything, it implies they should have set a better example and followed lawful instructions.

I didn't see a baton, tazer, or firearm come out.

I think the cops showed pretty good restraint.

Sounds like neither of the people were seriously hurt.

I am not a cop. The crap they have to deal with on a daily basis is mind blowing.

^^^^ Agree.....just follow the requests of the Police and all is good. I'm sick of hearing about Police wrong doings. They have procedures and protocol to follow and if a person or persons are not compliant then action needs to be taken to ensure the safety of those around and the Police themselves. The media and an uninformed public does nothing to help either.

Just my 2 cents
Old 10-29-2016, 10:07 AM

I can only imagine what could have happened without cameras rolling.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff

Maybe the police training needs to be re-evaluated.

RCMP has fallen too far. Too many black eyes to even try and defend anymore. Burn it to the ground and start over again, maybe try not to militarize the next police force
Old 10-29-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Thats funny. Grandpa was getting dragged down those stairs whether he held on for dear life or not. Then once they got to the bottom was it really necessary to immediatly yank grandpa up and start dragging him across the floor? I wonder how much air time grandpa achieved when he was tossed out into the street?

One thing I don't understand, is if they were going to forcibly remove those 2 old gangsters anyways, why not handcuff them first? Would have been much easier to control/manhandle.
Grandpa could have simply walked down those stairs, it's because he chose not tio do so that he was dragged down those stairs.
And as far as the language barrier goes, the officers were in uniform, so it's not like the people didn't know who they were.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Grandpa could have simply walked down those stairs, it's because he chose not tio do so that he was dragged down those stairs.
And as far as the language barrier goes, the officers were in uniform, so it's not like the people didn't know who they were.
Tell that to Robert Dziekanski...
Old 10-29-2016, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Who said anything about a language barrier?

There is some merit to your argument about grandpa getting up and walking, if he was able to. Once they were at the bottom of the stairs , however, grandpa was not given 2 seconds to stand up or to even stay still if that's what the officer ordered. He was immediatly yanked up and dragged some more. That alone was unwarranted in my opinion, but hey I'm just a civilian. I'll bet you that if it was a hotel employee who was caught on tape dragging grandpa like that, the employee would be behind bars right now.
It's a pity they didn't have Murney the kicking horse waiting outside to give that hard core reprobate a good kicking for safe measure.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Tell that to Robert Dziekanski...
The situation is not even close to the same. These people were asked to leave the premises, and they could have simply done that, but they chose to stay and wait until the police arrived, and then they resisted the police. Dzeikanski was being detained , and didn't have the option to leave. As well in his case , the officers supposedly conspired in advance to use the taser, and then lied about what happened afterward.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:47 AM

Young or old you play stupid games = win stupid prizes. Ignore a lawful order and be prepared to be removed with force.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Who said anything about a language barrier?

There is some merit to your argument about grandpa getting up and walking, if he was able to. Once they were at the bottom of the stairs , however, grandpa was not given 2 seconds to stand up or to even stay still if that's what the officer ordered. He was immediatly yanked up and dragged some more. That alone was unwarranted in my opinion, but hey I'm just a civilian. I'll bet you that if it was a hotel employee who was caught on tape dragging grandpa like that, the employee would be behind bars right now.
It's a pity they didn't have Murney the kicking horse waiting outside to give that hard core reprobate a good kicking for safe measure.
This was posted previously?

Quote:
Do you dpsee the kid saying "Asian, Asian?"' I'll bet the old couple don't even speak English, and that's why they didn't "comply."
As for the old man, do you suppose that if he had simply told the officer at that point that he was willing to get up and walk, that the officer would have continued with the difficult task of dragging him down the stairs? I am thinking that the officer would have been more than willing to let the old man make things easier for him.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:59 AM

IMO The old kibble eating bedshi##ers are becoming a real problem for society in general. Should just euthenize all the old farts then there would be more time for the queens cowboys to hang out at Timmy's and the youth of today could live off inheritance's instead of having to sell drugs.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:01 AM
Banned

It occurs to me that I and some others on here might be coming off as "cop haters'. I for one really do have respect for the police, but once in awhile you see or hear something that makes your blood boil, or you completly disagree with.
In this video I saw one police officer who was acting with great discipline and restraint while containing that elderly lady with a screaming kid and a civilian bystander interfering with what he was doing. I thought he was doing a great job.
On the other hand that other "officer" seemed to completly lose his head in this situation. At the bottom of the stairs he simply became a bully with a badge. Sure hope they send him for some anger mngt, or a psych evaluation after this incident.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
It occurs to me that I and some others on here might be coming off as "cop haters'. I for one really do have respect for the police, but once in awhile you see or hear something that makes your blood boil, or you completly disagree with.
In this video I saw one police officer who was acting with great discipline and restraint while containing that elderly lady with a screaming kid and a civilian bystander interfering with what he was doing. i thought he was doing a great job.
On the other hand that other "officer" seemed to completly lose his head in this situation. At the bottom of the stairs he simply became a bully with a badge. Sure hope they send him for some anger mngt, or a psych evaluation after this incident.
I think it would be safe to say 1/2 of the rcmpp are ah#les IMO.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:13 AM

The radio reports I heard made it sound like the officers grabbed the old timers by the hair and threw them down the stairs. After watching the video, I think the officers showed good self control. What were the officers supposed to do when the trespassers refused to leave? As someone else already stated, when you play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

What gets me is how the elderly couple's friends stood around watching that kid go bezerk. The experience was far more traumatic for the kid than the old folks.

Gerry Burnie
Old 10-29-2016, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
The radio reports I heard made it sound like the officers grabbed the old timers by the hair and threw them down the stairs.
From the first article I posted:

Myung Ju Lee described in blunt terms the treatment he received from police.

"He grabbed my arm, twisted it, put it behind my back, then kicked me [down the stairs] from the second floor," he said.

"They pushed and kicked, and I rolled down, down, down ... Then he came down, pushed my chest using the knee. Several times.

"'Are you trying to kill me? Are you trying to kill me?'", I shouted," Ju Lee continued.

"And finally, at the bottom of the stairs, I was handcuffed. 'I'm not a criminal. I'm not a criminal ... I'm a senior. Why do you have me in handcuffs?'' I kept asking. They would not answer."
Old 10-29-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
In this video I saw one police officer who was acting with great discipline and restraint while containing that elderly lady with a screaming kid and a civilian bystander interfering with what he was doing. I thought he was doing a great job.
This ^^

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 10-29-2016, 11:21 AM

Canada's solution for the mentally ill: Make them cops!!!
Old 10-29-2016, 11:37 AM

Being elderly does not give one the right to resist arrest and ignore lawful instructions.

The officers shown acted with considerable restraint considering the circumstances.

If you arrested - go politely and quietly. No sense getting roughed up for no reason.

One can sort out the details with one's attorney later if necessary.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Gone Hunting

In the sixties, many young men rebelled against authority and especially against the police.

Today those young men are seniors. Some have learned the meaning of respect, a few have not and are still rebelling against authority.
All they accomplish is to make themselves look like fools.

If I as a senior am fool enough to jump off a roof, should I get special treatment when my brittle bones start breaking?

If I'm fool enough to resist the lawful orders of a police officer, should I get the kid glove treatment ?

Respect is earned, for both sides, and so too is violence.

Resisting the Police is never wise and it's not a good example to set for the younger generations.

They say that wisdom comes with age. This proves that to be untrue for some.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-29-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I am not defending the officer's behavior, but if the old man had done what he was told, instead of hanging onto the rails , and making the situation as difficult as possible, none of this would have happened. The old man certainly wasn't setting a good example for his grandchild. As I posted previously, the video makes pretty much everyone involved look bad.
X2. I don't feel sorry for the old guy, do what your told and I'm sure it would have been fine, even the little kid hitting the cop is unreal.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:30 PM

No excuse for disobeying an unlawful order. Hopefully it was a reasonable order, and it isn't established that the police had been fair or reasonable before that. Anyways, the old folks were apparently being troublemakers and had to be contained.

Still, no excuse for some of what is seen against the old man there, IMO. Just not necessary, excessive, etc., to treat an old man like that who's obviously no real threat to anyone. If it were a younger or more able-bodied man, someone known or suspected of violence, etc., I would more than support the police there.

As to the kid, gimme a break. they see what seems horribly unfair/wrong to them and they react. THey're kids! Hopefully they have parents to take them aside later and teach them right and wrong in that situation, including respect for lawful cops. Guess I'm not holding my breath on that one.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:04 PM

Another black eye for the RCMP. To "protect and to serve" my ass. Do they treat gang members, drug dealers, and thieves like this. Of course not, but give them an old lady and old man and they beat the living tar out of them. Would they want their mother or father dragged down some stairs and manhandled. What an embarrassment for the RCMP.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:21 PM

I have lost respect for the rcmp many years ago they are now a bunch of thugs.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Well said in my opinion from what I seen on the video.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 10-29-2016, 02:50 PM

Pretty simple if you ask me. If the cops tell me to leave, and I don't, then anything and everything that happens to me after that is my own fault. The last thing I will do is play the victim if I was the one being ass

Last edited by Immigrant; 10-29-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:17 PM

There's no punk like an old punk.