Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 AM

Default Auger Dilemma

I've got a bit of a dilemma, but as I've never used an auger before I need the advice of those who are experienced with them.

I would like to purchase an auger. Ideally, I would like a gas powered auger. That seems a little excessive right now, though.

Is there anywhere in Calgary that rents out well maintained gas powered ice augers?

Barring that, how easy is it to use a manual auger with a drill? Does it require a lot of downward force and/or strength?

Despite that fact that I'm tall, I'm not particularly strong. Add arthritis and injury to that, and making a hole in ice could be a real challenge.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:37 AM

Default Augers

I don't know about rentals but a power auger is the way to go. It is not too bad this time of year but wait until the end when the ice is 3 feet thick and do your hand drilling. Ask the guys on the board that were hand augering beside us last week and were out of breath and tired out. It was nice when we just came over and a few seconds later they were fishing. Look for a used one on the board or try Kijiji, you may find something there for less.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:39 AM

I use a manual auger all the time. The thing to remember is that the smaller the auger the easier it is to make the hole. I use a 6 inch and find it very easy to use. Also I can still pull a very big fish through the hole. It doesn't take much force to drill the hole and it goes fairly fast.

But I fish mostly Spray lake, and I find I don't usually drill more than 6 holes in a day. If you fish somewhere where you drill significantly more holes I would go with a gas auger. I don't know if you can rent one but I would call the U of Calgary they have alot of outdoor equipment for rent.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:48 AM

id recommend buying a power auger. unless you have a $600 cordless drill your not going to have alot of luck drilling holes with it. Even then i hear the batteries die quick. Costco has them at $329.00 for an 8" eskimo (mako model). I have one and it works great.

this my first year on the ice and it got a little expensive at first but in the future it will cost almost nothing if you buy quality stuff in the begining
Old 12-22-2009, 09:15 AM

went to costco last night, Eskimo Mako 8 inch, $299
Old 12-22-2009, 09:21 AM

Maybe you could swing by PCR on a weekend and look for AO guys see if someone would let you try both a powerauger and a manual auger and then you would know what you can manage without 2 much pain.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:50 AM

I spent the entire season last year using a foldable 6" Finbore hand auger. If you keep the blades sharp, you don't need any downward pressure as the auger wants to pull down through the ice (it's actually bad to push down on the Finbores). I drilled through 3 feet of ice pretty fast but the only issue was when I wanted to move around a lot as it did get tiring drilling 10+ holes. I pulled some big fish through the 6" hole so it was never an issue.

This year I'm investing in an Icegator with a 8" Nils auger. I have the 8" hand auger already and it's awesome, a little more work than the 6" but boy do the blades cut through the ice.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Banned

Tell me how great that mako is at the end of next year, or after you need parts and find out there are exactly two places that cary them, One in Minisota and one in Winnipeg. Mine worked ok untill just after the warenty ran out, then I needed a carb rebuild kit and had to wait a month for it to get here. Personaly unless I was looking at a stihl or huskey auger I would not buy one this year. With tecumsi going under everyone is using a new and unproven motors that are likely going to be hard to get parts for. Had enough of that with my eskimo, wait till someone figures out how to make their engines work properly. Hand augers do require a bit of energy in the late season but I'd rather spend my energy drilling holes than yanking a starter cord and cursing.

Last edited by Cal; 12-22-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:57 AM

I had to get rid of my power auger last year, and won't do enough winter fishing anymore to justify a new one. As far as the drill attachment to a hand auger, maybe it makes a difference in which attachment you have. I have a 19.2 V Craftsman and an 18V Crappy Tire drill, and have had NO troubles so far, but that is only through about 12 inches of ice so far. Drilled 8 holes the other day on one battery, so not as bad as some say. Depends on how much you will fish in my mind, as to whether you need a power auger. A lot of money if you are only out a few times a winter.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:00 PM

Here is my 2 cents worth. I am always trying new lakes and therefore moving around a lot. A power auger makes for a much more enjoyable day. If I was only going to drill a few holes (Max 10) I could get away with my manual auger. I'm just lucky that my 2 main fishing buddies have gas augers!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:51 PM

Cal

I have read you reviews on eskimo augers before. I am not sure what model you got or year. I almost stayed away becuase of some of your posts. but i have read alot of other positive posts and have had good luck so far this year. My eskimo started on first pull out of the box. and on second in -20. With my costco warrenty ill take it back in a year if it doesnt work.

Maybe you got a Lemon? ill give a beter review at the end of the season so far i have only drilled 20 odd holes. at the end of march i should have well over 200 drilled.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:54 PM

Oh and because of your posts i drag a 6" hand auger around in my sled just incase im not going home if m eskimo is like yours.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:04 PM

i have the eskimo aswell and have had it for a couple years now, no problem, and at under 300 bux its a great value and if anything does happen to it costco will exchange it or u can almost afford a new one at that price
Old 12-22-2009, 02:09 PM

I also purchased a Eskimo Mako from Costco last week knowing little about augers and going solely on the reviews on this forum. I went out this weekend with the new toy for the first time and wow, flawless. Of course I will be able to give a better review at the end of March but I see ice augers being no different than Ford, Dodge, or Chev. Every one has a lemon in the bunch, but it all comes down to preference and usually turns into a p*ssing contest for how fast it cuts thru ice and blah blah blah. None of these companies would be in business if 1/3 of their products bit the dust. My 2 cents.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey1099 View Post
Cal

I have read you reviews on eskimo augers before. I am not sure what model you got or year. I almost stayed away becuase of some of your posts. but i have read alot of other positive posts and have had good luck so far this year. My eskimo started on first pull out of the box. and on second in -20. With my costco warrenty ill take it back in a year if it doesnt work.

Maybe you got a Lemon? ill give a beter review at the end of the season so far i have only drilled 20 odd holes. at the end of march i should have well over 200 drilled.
Lol taking your hand auger is a good habbit regardless of what power auger you have. I've got a jiffy that has never let me down and I still wont leave home without my hand auger if I'm driving more than a half hour to the fishing spot. Mine is a stingray model I think 06 or 07, after they switched to cobra engines anyways. After mine started giving me trouble I searched the net and apparently alot of people are having the same trouble as me. Starts well but bogs out while drilling. As well many people from all over the continent are not happy about the ordeal involved in getting parts and that nobody services the Cobra engines they now use. Another indication of their relyability is the regularity that like-new rebuilt ones show up at a discount price at the Canadian Tire here in Slave Lake. I have a cheap Pulan Pro chainsaw that has been much more relyable and consider it to be a much better product. So if your a guy who would not buy a cheap canadian tire chainsaw I would think twice about buying an eskimo auger.

Another problem is once it stalled at a bad moment and got stuck, in the process of getting it unstuck the drive shaft bent and it now has a wobble while drilling. I realise that it would probably be possible to do this to pretty much any auger but in this case I was pretty carefull, I have got my jiffy wedged a couple times and had to muscle it out and have never bent anything. The jiffy transmission does seem much more rugged. That being said the Eskimo's may very well be the better choice at this point, like I said, in light of the changes being made by many of the ice auger makers I feel it would be prudent to wait and see how it all pans out befor making a purchase.

Last edited by Cal; 12-22-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:06 PM

All of your posts have been very helpful. Thx!

I've decided to purchase a 6" hand auger. I'll purchase my gas auger next year, at which time my 6" will serve as a backup. I'll get an adapter so I can use it with one of hubby's drills, if I just can't manage the 6" otherwise.

That way I can spend some money on other things too (like a heater and a sled).

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:26 PM

Thumbs up Ice Auger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I've got a bit of a dilemma, but as I've never used an auger before I need the advice of those who are experienced with them.

I would like to purchase an auger. Ideally, I would like a gas powered auger. That seems a little excessive right now, though.

Is there anywhere in Calgary that rents out well maintained gas powered ice augers?

Barring that, how easy is it to use a manual auger with a drill? Does it require a lot of downward force and/or strength?

Despite that fact that I'm tall, I'm not particularly strong. Add arthritis and injury to that, and making a hole in ice could be a real challenge.
I have been fishing since the age of 10 and I think you are better off with a manual one. The auger I own folds in half for travel. I usually pay some on the thick ice to do it for me. Sometimes its beer. Ask for help and most people are happy to do so.
Cheers
Old 12-22-2009, 09:13 PM

Had mine from Costco for over a year now. I have drilled over 200 holes and it still works great. Pretty inexpensive and a good entry level power auger.

If you have any problems they will take it back. Great warranty.

Tight lines!!!
Old 12-22-2009, 09:29 PM

Default auger

ive got a 3 HP STIKEMASTER TRIPPLE BLADE 8" for sale 300 bucks i bought itlast year for my dad to much hp for him comes with a strike master bag/carring case i live in edmonton first one takes it call me or send me a message 780 699 9373
Old 12-22-2009, 09:31 PM

Default auger

or tnafab@gmail.com
Old 12-22-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:

I've decided to purchase a 6" hand auger. I'll purchase my gas auger next year, at which time my 6" will serve as a backup. I'll get an adapter so I can use it with one of hubby's drills, if I just can't manage the 6" otherwise.

20% off everything at Whole sale sports this week. I got my sled there. it was 110 regular price. i bought a heater at Fishinhole for 100 a couple of weeks ago, both work great. My 3 man tent is nice and warm in minutes with it. sled is not 100% necessary if u have lot of people to carry stuff but i like to make it easy on my dad and gf so i pull everything.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Lol taking your hand auger is a good habbit regardless of what power auger you have. I've got a jiffy that has never let me down and I still wont leave home without my hand auger if I'm driving more than a half hour to the fishing spot. Mine is a stingray model I think 06 or 07, after they switched to cobra engines anyways. After mine started giving me trouble I searched the net and apparently alot of people are having the same trouble as me. Starts well but bogs out while drilling. As well many people from all over the continent are not happy about the ordeal involved in getting parts and that nobody services the Cobra engines they now use. Another indication of their relyability is the regularity that like-new rebuilt ones show up at a discount price at the Canadian Tire here in Slave Lake. I have a cheap Pulan Pro chainsaw that has been much more relyable and consider it to be a much better product. So if your a guy who would not buy a cheap canadian tire chainsaw I would think twice about buying an eskimo auger.

Another problem is once it stalled at a bad moment and got stuck, in the process of getting it unstuck the drive shaft bent and it now has a wobble while drilling. I realise that it would probably be possible to do this to pretty much any auger but in this case I was pretty carefull, I have got my jiffy wedged a couple times and had to muscle it out and have never bent anything. The jiffy transmission does seem much more rugged. That being said the Eskimo's may very well be the better choice at this point, like I said, in light of the changes being made by many of the ice auger makers I feel it would be prudent to wait and see how it all pans out befor making a purchase.
the mako is one step up in power from the sting ray it was a little more HP with the 43cc engine. Here is hoping it doesnt bog out. Costco's sold the lower HP sting ray for the last 2 years i believe and brought in the MAKO this year for an extra 30 bucks
Old 12-22-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:

Smart choice.

I was at PCR this past Sunday. After re-installing my new blades with the cutting side facing down it took me 2 minutes to drill two 8" holes through 14" of ice with my hand auger.

I found the blades relatively cheap so I change them at least once a season. Pack a spare set of blades and a crescent wrench and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well you do.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:34 PM

just started up my eski after 1 whole year of sitting in the attic and one crank she fired. its going into its 3rd year i believe and no tune ups yet
Old 12-23-2009, 04:47 AM

Hello DarkAisling.
Aside from the my auger is better than your auger discussion, the best advice provided was from omega50 regarding trying a few auger's from fellow members when your out fishing. I am sure 99% of them will be happy to let you grip and rip some ice. The nice thing with the gas auger is the weight of the auger does the work, you just hold it and give it gas and it does the work. When the ice gets thicker you do have to lift it out from a deeper hole but that is the worst of it. My next auger is going to be an electric with the battery pack so there is no more yanking on the cord at -30. I have a finicky Jiffy that runs like a dream one trip and sputters and farts the next.

Have a Merry Christmas with your family and friends.

Dodger.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Banned

"the mako is one step up in power from the sting ray it was a little more HP with the 43cc engine. Here is hoping it doesnt bog out. Costco's sold the lower HP sting ray for the last 2 years i believe and brought in the MAKO this year for an extra 30 bucks "

I realise this, but I still see factory rebuilt makos in the canadian tire as well. Its not a huge number, maby a couple augers a year all Eskimo models combined. But if even half the small town Canadian Tires across Canada are selling a couple factory rebuilds a year that adds up to an uncomon amount of augers that are getting returned.

Last edited by Cal; 12-23-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:36 AM

I hace a 3hp jiffy stealth bought it last year runs like a tops when its -20 or warmer but not so great in -30 anyone else have this problem. As for a gas auger or manual auger it all depends on what u fish i fish perch so im contsantly drilling holes not unusual to drill 20 to 40 holes in a day witch would be way too much work with a hand auger personally would never go back too the hand auger but i still bring it just incase my gas one breaks down.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=Duramaximos;463261]. After re-installing my new blades with the cutting side facing down
Thanks for the chuckle. thought I was the only ******* who has done that sure takes a long time to get thru the ice!!!
I borrowed one of the ancient style one years ago, looks like a big spoon and supposed to be sharp on one side. After spending 3 hours drilling one hole thru the ice at Chestermere (I used to be way more patient) I finally got thru, and bumped into the bottom, 2 inches under the ice. It was a long time before I ever went ice fishing again!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-23-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post

I think u will find that almost all augers will perform ok for the first winter , where the trouble comes is when you leave them hanging on the wall all summer with fuel in them and the rubber diaphrams that pump the fuel gets hard and don't pump the fuel properly. The techumse are hard to get parts for if you order them from eskimo but if you order them with the walbro carb number from napa then u will usually get them over night. as for techumse going broke that is not exactly correct they are simply not making the little engines anymore, one would assume its because of the competitive market in that area. Briggs and stratton owns techumse so I would hope that there will still be parts for the engines for years to come yet. I have to order a fuel pump diaphram for my 80cc techumse tomorrow so I guess I will test the waters
Old 12-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims71duster View Post
I think u will find that almost all augers will perform ok for the first winter , where the trouble comes is when you leave them hanging on the wall all summer with fuel in them
I know better than to do this. What I do with everything from chainsaws to motor cycles either close the fuel valve or empty the tank and then fire them up and run the carb/lines dry. Its kept all my other carbs from getting messed up. I was not complaning about getting tecumsi parts, tecumsi parts are easy to get. I was talking about getting parts for the Cobra engines that eskimo has been using for a couple years now, they are not easy to get.