Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2024, 05:35 PM

Default Econonmically - Canada vs Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
What are the gun laws, target shooting and hunting like in Australia?

Complicated for a Canadian without getting right into it.

It’s state dependent. WA is by far the worst for private firearm ownership.

I’ll speak to Queensland.

You need a legal reason for firearm ownership. Can be target shooting, hunting whatever. It all works. The class of firearm you can get depends what your doing. Pro shooters can have semi autos with high capacity mags and a muffler. Property owners in the territory are rocking open carry handguns.

For a simpleton like me I own normal hunting rifles and shotguns. They need to be in a safe at home. The ammo also has to be locked. We can hunt any non native animal any time of the day or night, all year with no tags, limits or rules. Seven species of deer, camels, water buff, wild horses, donkeys, cattle, pigs etc all the time. You don’t have to salvage anything and you can use thermal or spotlights. She’s the Wild West. In Queensland though we can only hunt on private land. The state land is managed by contractors who cull animals.

In NSW I got a hunting license and it was a simple course, a test and then I bought a five year license. I can hunt their state forests all year with almost no rules, there are no tags or seasons. I do however have to book into a state forest online through their portal and tell them when I’m going to be there. Then I go down set up camp, hunt and leave when I’m ready. On NSW private land is the same as qld, just a matter of permission.

There is bird hunting, target shooting, all the usual but it’s dependent on the state and opportunities that exist locally.

Some of the firearms we have access to here are pretty cool too. They’re not classified the same as Canada but again you need the right reason to own them.

Here are two examples.