Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I love rattling deer. It’s my favorite way to hunt them. The last several bucks I’ve taken have been rattled in. If I could pick one day of the year to rattle, it would be Rememberance Day.
Had my son rattling this Rememberance Day... He rattled in a nice Chev Pickup, loaded with a young family out sawing firewood...
Old 11-15-2018, 04:04 PM
Banned

Bought a flextone BATTLE BAG PLUS along with a Primos THE LONG CAN ESTRUS bleat call at Canada Tire today.

I will be sounding like a really horny fat healthy doe that two bucks are fighting over for the rest of the month, I hope a cranker comes in to investigate.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:35 PM

Default 2018 Whitetail.

2 rattle sequences - a couple low grunts from a doe bleat call and done.
5 minutes from home on my place - 40 yard head shot from a ground blind - dead before it hit the ground.
Cleaned up, quartered and starting to age for a few days - Now for some grouse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (62.5 KB, 246 views)
Old 11-15-2018, 10:41 PM

Default Made a believer.

I was lucky enough to take a solid WT buck on Monday -- first time I can 100% be sure rattling worked. He got so close before I noticed him I almost sh*t myself. 5 secs later he was piled up.

I'm hooked on rattling now. Hours of reading and watching videos on it finally paid off.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
I was lucky enough to take a solid WT buck on Monday -- first time I can 100% be sure rattling worked. He got so close before I noticed him I almost sh*t myself. 5 secs later he was piled up.

I'm hooked on rattling now. Hours of reading and watching videos on it finally paid off.
I have been rattling for years, it works animals are curious

Do you have a picture to share? 🙄
Old 11-16-2018, 10:32 AM

I have been reading this thread with great interest. Taking notes. I've always wanted to rattle just never tried.
Monday afternoon I got a chance from my busy schedule to go out. I hiked up to an active scrape line I know of. Sat myself right inside of it. Set up some doe in heat urine. Rattled my session and let out a few grunts. Movement to my right. It ends up being a yote. I'm watching him and decide if he gets closer I'll put an arrow in him. He goes down a little hill and doesn't come up towards me. Oh well. I slowly turn around and theres a big mule steer staring at me 25 yards away. I draw back. He doesn't move. I let him have it.
Rattling is awesome!

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 11-16-2018, 12:06 PM

Can't tell by the picture but that's about a 120 Whitetail rattled into 50 60 yards good morning

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2018, 06:58 AM

Well over the two weeks I had off I spent three 1/2 days hunting, the deer number seem to be pretty low around my place, people are still wacking does I think it's time to get rid of the supplemental tags in 521 I just don't get it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2018, 12:56 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Since the start of rifle season 14 have come in to rattling, grunting, raking bushes, doe bleats or snort wheezing.....I find the sign and hunt those areas, not by trudging around just setting up and having patience in a area with Rudy, scrapes, doe's in fields and I set up in the bush edges or in deep travel lanes in heavy cover....hunting......might eat tag soup

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-20-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseHunter View Post
Bought a flextone BATTLE BAG PLUS along with a Primos THE LONG CAN ESTRUS bleat call at Canada Tire today.

I will be sounding like a really horny fat healthy doe that two bucks are fighting over for the rest of the month, I hope a cranker comes in to investigate.
Dowels in a bag I call'em....son uses them I prefer antlers....use them to rub tree's, the ground etc when mimicking bucks.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:39 PM

many other threads on rattling on here but the problem with it in my experience you rattle in all the young deer. 2-4 year old. Extremely hard pressed to ever convince an old monarch to swing by and if you do you will only kill him on a shooting lane as he circles to wind you. My 2 cents, but i have quite rattling for that reason.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:49 PM

I rattled in a 170+” mule deer last week, twice!

LC
Old 11-20-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I rattled in a 170+” mule deer last week, twice!

LC
170" mule deer is between 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 years old though like stated.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
170" mule deer is between 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 years old though like stated.
Not always...some mule deer may never even get to 170”, that’s genetically based. Some mule deer may exceed 170” only to drop below that in later years. Inches of horn doesn’t always match to the age of the animal.

LC
Old 11-21-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
many other threads on rattling on here but the problem with it in my experience you rattle in all the young deer. 2-4 year old. Extremely hard pressed to ever convince an old monarch to swing by and if you do you will only kill him on a shooting lane as he circles to wind you. My 2 cents, but i have quite rattling for that reason.
Doe bleats....grunts....use the antlers to rub bushes and your right always check the downwind....some sneak in....another good one to throw into your Arsenal is the snort/wheeze can get a big buck all fired up and come charging in, especially if he has no doe....then it's on.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Not always...some mule deer may never even get to 170”, that’s genetically based. Some mule deer may exceed 170” only to drop below that in later years. Inches of horn doesn’t always match to the age of the animal.

LC
Exactly nor does the size of a hoof print determine buck/doe or potential antler size.....but we still hear it.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:46 AM

You guys are missing my point, talk to anyone that has consistently killed very large, upper age class mule deer or white tails and they will not be rattling antlers. Period. Best of luck to everyone how ever you want to hunt. It’s an exciting method.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
You guys are missing my point, talk to anyone that has consistently killed very large, upper age class mule deer or white tails and they will not be rattling antlers. Period. Best of luck to everyone how ever you want to hunt. It’s an exciting method.
Got a few in October muzzleloading last week to rattling, light sparring, maybe just luck....Saskatchewan.....south Sask River breaks....some real pigs running them breaks both mule and whiteys....watched a fella rattle and rake bushes as a 190" Muley crested the hill just to fall over to the report of his 25-06....I am sure others have seen, done this technique and not only had 130 class deer come in.

Also,throw in a decoy and watch it get thrashed.....that's cool too

Old 11-21-2018, 12:53 PM

Exceptions to every rule obviously. It can definitely can be done and has been clearly. Not the best way to target ancient old bucks imo though.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Exceptions to every rule obviously. It can definitely can be done and has been clearly. Not the best way to target ancient old bucks imo though.
But you know the more you are prepared the better your success rate.....then of course there's the dreaded pass up, what if.......that's why it is so bloody addictive!

Old 11-21-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I echo your sentiments. All depends on what a guy is looking for though. I’ve given rattling some pretty darn concerted efforts and it’s far and away my favourite way to hunt whitetails. When conditions are right it can be downright magical. The largest I’ve rattled in personally goes 173” and he resides on my wall. Had five bucks come in on that set. It was insane. Quite a number of 140-160” bucks have come in though. Never had a real gagger respond - that I’ve seen anyway. Couple times we’ve paired up and whoever is set up downwind has always seen more bucks than who’s rattling so when I’ve been solo, no way I’ve seen near everything that’s come to have a boo.