Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-21-2018, 10:27 AM

Default Hiking with Defense Shotgun

I have a new shotgun for use while hiking and camping and I am planning on bringing it with me on my January winter camp trip. My concern is that I want to cover/plug the end so that no snow or debris gets down into the bore but need it to be ready to shoot at very short notice if the need arises. Although the chances of use are slim there is no point in bringing it if it's not ready to use and I don't want to have ice/water/debris collect in the barrel.

Do they make any sort of cover/wad that is designed to shoot through while protecting the bore? Could I make something with a cotton wad maybe? Please let me know your thoughts.

More insight: I plan to have the last shell int he tube be a mid size buck shot followed by slugs.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Dollar store.....little balloons, cheep and effective.

Don't put anything down your barrel.....period!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-21-2018, 10:31 AM

Electrical tape or plain old condoms and an elastic band work well. If you want to get really fancy you could buy a barrel condom sold for paintballers but if you need to shoot in a hurry its a waste of $10.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-21-2018, 11:29 AM

I just use electrical tape too, at least with my hunting rifles.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:32 AM

Electrical tape doesn't work real well in wet and very cold conditions, especially on something as large as a 12 gauge.. The military have used standard condoms for decades. Easily available, cheap, lubed so you don't get rust and you can shoot through them no problem. Put one on, only unroll a couple of inches, use a rubber band off of Broccoli, wide blue band, to hold it in place.

Not sure what you expect to have to defend against in Jan. I guess there is always the remote possibility of a Grizz roaming around if it is warm and sunny. Personally I wouldn't carry 7 lbs of gun for that remote of a danger. Can of bear spray is less than a pound.

All the best on the camping trip.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:58 AM

If electrical tape isn't doing it for you, pick up some finger cots from any drugstore. They look like mini condoms, fit tight on the barrel, and cost a fraction of the price.

(have never used with shotgun, only my rifle)
Old 11-21-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Electrical tape doesn't work real well in wet and very cold conditions, especially on something as large as a 12 gauge.. The military have used standard condoms for decades. Easily available, cheap, lubed so you don't get rust and you can shoot through them no problem. Put one on, only unroll a couple of inches, use a rubber band off of Broccoli, wide blue band, to hold it in place.

Not sure what you expect to have to defend against in Jan. I guess there is always the remote possibility of a Grizz roaming around if it is warm and sunny. Personally I wouldn't carry 7 lbs of gun for that remote of a danger. Can of bear spray is less than a pound.

All the best on the camping trip.
Another point to consider for bears is the night - in this scenario I would want a can of spray even if in the day I wanted to pack a shotgun.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
If electrical tape isn't doing it for you, pick up some finger cots from any drugstore. They look like mini condoms, fit tight on the barrel, and cost a fraction of the price.

Had to Google them to see what they were. Apparently used over bandage to protect injured fingers from getting wet or to keep from getting body oils on sensitive equipment, paintings etc. Also used by doctors where full gloves aren't the right answer.

Thanks for posting that. Am going to try some of those, seem like a better option, shouldn't need the rubber band anymore.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Had to Google them to see what they were. Apparently used over bandage to protect injured fingers from getting wet or to keep from getting body oils on sensitive equipment, paintings etc. Also used by doctors where full gloves aren't the right answer.

Thanks for posting that. Am going to try some of those, seem like a better option, shouldn't need the rubber band anymore.
No problem, I think I actually first heard about using them right here on AO.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:01 PM

Cheap electrical tape is poor in cold conditions, and most people never purchase a quality electrical tape. Scotch 88 sticks well, and is far less brittle than the cheap tapes.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:01 PM

Default just use

plain old masking tape.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:04 PM

Default Thanks

Wow so much helpful feedback so quickly - thanks everyone that responded!

The area I am in there are a lot of wolves and there is the chance of grizz as well if it's warm and they stir up for some "horribilis" reason (see what I did there?)

Wife always feels better when I have it so that is the reason for lugging it around.

I think I will do either the condom or the balloon - finger cot is likely too small for 12 ga barrel.

Again thanks everyone
Old 11-21-2018, 01:25 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENGUN View Post
Wow so much helpful feedback so quickly - thanks everyone that responded!

The area I am in there are a lot of wolves and there is the chance of grizz as well if it's warm and they stir up for some "horribilis" reason (see what I did there?)

Wife always feels better when I have it so that is the reason for lugging it around.

I think I will do either the condom or the balloon - finger cot is likely too small for 12 ga barrel.

Again thanks everyone
Enjoy the outdoors.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-21-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post

Those tend to rip on the front sight or if the barrel is ribbed.

With all the talk of condoms and now ribbed barrels I think this thread will go downhill in a hurry...

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-21-2018, 08:57 PM

Default finger

Hey GG,

Hows it going ?

I use electrical tape, put it on inside where its warm.

Another thing you can use is just a finger off of a rubber glove, the medical type.

One thing to remember is condensation, dont leave it on too long as you may get rusting if you are going from warm to cold to warm etc.

Puma
Old 11-22-2018, 03:56 PM

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/99217...ding-rain-gear

I use these on my muzzle loader. They should fit a 12Ga barrel too.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:01 PM

January ? I wouldn't worry about bears and wolves ai'nt gonna bother you. On the other hand, a rifle would be good for putting some in the bag.

Grizz
Old 11-22-2018, 05:31 PM

x3 for the electrical tape. Just warm it up with a lighter after you put it on to kinda 'shrink wrap" it onto the barrel and it seals better that way as well. Plus its a great tape to carry for medical purposes.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:17 PM

Like Puma suggested, I just grab some latex gloves from work, cut the fingers off and secure with a rubber band.

I've also used masking tape.

Getting any obstruction in the barrel could be very bad.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:20 PM

What about the barrel covers that are on a elastic cord that they use on paint ball guns at the range? They should do the trick and be teathered to the gun as well. And if you did shoot with it still on I wouldn’t think it would hurt anything other than blow a hole in the cover wasting it. Goggle “paintball gun sock”. Should easily be able to find one locally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FFB317EE-01BF-4525-A480-89D935980811.jpg (6.7 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by BUSHRVN; 11-22-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Electrical tape or plain old condoms and an elastic band work well. If you want to get really fancy you could buy a barrel condom sold for paintballers but if you need to shoot in a hurry its a waste of $10.
Do not use “old” condoms, use the new ones!
Old 11-23-2018, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Do not use “old” condoms, use the new ones!
LMAO

When I am bow hunting in Grizzly country my barrel on my defender is free and clear I do not want any obstructions especially if my life depends on it.

Just check your barrel in the morning and know that if you are in a life or death situation you can depend on your shotgun

If you dont want to have children and are with a fertile woman, always use a condom hehe