Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-20-2018, 07:19 PM

Default CWD Positive

Well unfortunately I got a call from F&W today that my Mule Buck tested positive for CWD. The buck was taken in 163 about 25 minutes NE of Oyen. He appeared very healthy and had an extreme amount of fat on him. He was going to be my first attempt at making my own sausage.

Nice mount, but no meat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (60.6 KB, 989 views)
Old 11-20-2018, 07:22 PM

Nice buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2018, 07:22 PM

Hey welcome to the club! I have a special star on the map too...no fun especially when you really enjoy the meat.

LC
Old 11-20-2018, 07:26 PM

Sorry to here that man, damn that disease!

I wonder if the biologists can tell how far spread CWD is along in a single deer?
Old 11-20-2018, 07:34 PM

Son of a gun, sorry about your luck. Well...like you stated, it'll make a nice mount and stories to share. Doggone disease!
Old 11-20-2018, 07:41 PM

Our group has taken 7 bucks over the last 2 years. 3 have come back positive and 2 of the 7 are from this past week and still out for testing. So really we are 3 positive out of 5 bucks. All have been 4.5 years plus in age and from within the same 100 square miles. Basically from Hwy 41 to the Sask border and approx. 7-8 miles north to south.

Might be time to find a new area.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:31 PM

The last 2 mules ive take in that same area had CWD too
Old 11-20-2018, 09:09 PM

Time to start hunting the west.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:36 PM

CWD and Rider Fans.... damn you Saskatabush!
Old 11-20-2018, 09:36 PM

Now what are the consequences if everyone stops hunting these zones? Will it have any effect?

Old 11-20-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
Now what are the consequences if everyone stops hunting these zones? Will it have any effect?

>>
I believe the infected animals continue to spread the disease, before they succumb to it themselves.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:23 PM

That's a super cool looking buck!

Super frustrating when you like/enjoy/rely on the meat.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:21 AM

i feel ya, mine came back positive this year also ( wmu 202 )
Old 11-21-2018, 09:40 AM

How long did it take to get the results back?
Old 11-21-2018, 09:58 AM

Nice Hybrid!

Sorry to hear.

This CWD fiasco is so messed up.

And to think that IF past politicians listened to their own experts advice we would not be experiencing this disaster today.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-21-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
How long did it take to get the results back?
I dropped the head at the taxidermy on Oct. 29th and they completed the sample submission. So it was a fairly quick turn around.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:19 AM

Nice looking deer, too bad about the positive test result.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:54 PM

The statistics show the disease is most prevalent in mature mule deer males. I have read that Alberta environment is in the process of making a decision on how to best control the spread of the disease. Numbers show that after the cull of our eastern zones that the positive cases of CWD decreased the years after and have steadily been increasing since. Kind of a bad way to look at it but CWD can not be spread...if there are no deer. I fear that pretty soon they are going to eradicate the eastern deer population trying to stop the disease in hopes to sacrifice now for the future. Pretty soon maybe non of us will be hunting these zones.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Well unfortunately I got a call from F&W today that my Mule Buck tested positive for CWD. The buck was taken in 163 about 25 minutes NE of Oyen. He appeared very healthy and had an extreme amount of fat on him. He was going to be my first attempt at making my own sausage.

Nice mount, but no meat

Thats a nice deer. Very sorry for your bounty loss but once the meat is all gone from the freezer, all you have is the memory, the pic and the mount anyway.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:39 PM

Well just saw this article today, CWD has been detected for the first time in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.

https://leaderpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/...2-9693544bf921
Old 11-21-2018, 05:53 PM

I thought if you didn't cut the spinal cord or eat the brain you were ok? Has something changed since 2008? Now people are tossing the whole animal.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrr View Post
I thought if you didn't cut the spinal cord or eat the brain you were ok? Has something changed since 2008? Now people are tossing the whole animal.
Initial thoughts in a presentation I was at a number of years ago were as you stated and bone marrow -- so boneless was thought to be good. If the shot hit the spine or a bone then meat in the area was discarded.

My personal thoughts changed when they started testing moose at Camp Wainwright. The samples pulled were lymph nodes from the neck. With the lymph node system being a full body filter I would no longer take a chance on meat. Why risk your health on an animal from one season that could end your future years of hunting?
Old 11-21-2018, 06:31 PM

The province has announced that they will not offer next year replacement tags if your deer tests positive. Why not? If they sell you a tag and your deer is unsafe for human consumption you should get a replacement tag.
If you shot a deer that was full of puss - you go see the local F&W office and they can give you a replacement tag. What's the difference?
If the deer herd is unsafe maybe the season should be closed. Why should hunters be put at risk? A contaminated head of lettuce is soon removed from the store shelf.
C'mon government do the right thing.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrr View Post
CWD prions have been found in muscle and fat from infected deer. For example, see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16439622 and https://jvi.asm.org/content/83/18/9608.

That does not mean you will necessarily get infected from a CWD positive deer. There is still some uncertainty about that. I prefer to err on the side of caution, particularly after what happened with BSE in Britain.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:02 PM

They aren't giving out replacement tags because people are still lining up for the draw. Everyone knows there is a chance of getting a Cwd positive deer but the opportunity to hunt big muley bucks out ways the negative for a lot of people. The replacement tags made an imbalance of opportunity. It was a dream come true for a lot of trophy guys, what other way can you potentially harvest 170+ mule deer year after year with rifle equipment?

It's the typical "why does he get what I can't have"? The province sees the draw tags as a trophy opportunity not a full the freezer opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2018, 09:40 PM

More funding needs to be put into CWD research and addressing the issue. The disease in another 20 years will probabaly be province wide. The podcast with Joe Rogan is some great material to listen to for those that are not very familiar with the disease.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:14 PM

Mule deer were on a draw long before we had CWD. It's a management tool on a limited resource.
My complaint has nothing to do with trophy hunting.. I put in and got a mule deer doe tag. I deliberately harvested a young meat deer. I butchered it and dropped off the head for testing. I was surprised when it came back positive.
I don't care if trophy hunters play some kind of lottery with the draw system I'm saying there is some responsibility on the government to level the playing field. I'm talking about a meat deer here. Issuing a replacement tag is a way to address the situation.
If there was a way to hasten the testing process maybe a replacement tag could be issued during the current season so you could have meat in the freezer your don't have to worry about.
Hunters are playing an important role in the CWD process. Issuing a replacement tag recognizes that there is a problem and the hunter shouldn't be the one that ultimately pays the price as the end user.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:25 PM

If anyone in or near Calgary lost their deer meat to CWD and needs some I’d love to help a fellow outdoorsmen out, in a couple weeks all the meat from my families deer will go into sausage, steaks, and roasts and I’d love to send a couple packs your way if you got unlucky and a had a deer test positive and are in need of or want the meat.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:15 PM

Why not keep reissuing replacement tags for Cwd zones, and increase the number of tags issued so that those being unfairly effected in the draw process get a tag?

Why not just open up a General season on mule deer in all Cwd zones? Even offer 2 tags.

This isn’t about fair harvest opportunity anymore, and it’s sure is not about opportunity to harvest trophy book animals.

This is about having some hope, some fighting chance, at stopping the spread of this disease. Killing off the disease won’t even stop the spread, because the prions survive in the environment. It’s not stoppable at this point in time. But it would slow it down so maybe we can get a hold of this situation before it is province wide. It’s not a matter of if, it’s only a matter of when.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:36 PM

Did you submit your head with antlers attached to a fw freezer? Was it returned in good shape from the freezer? Or how did you work around that for your mount. I'm not well versed in taxidermy or the cwd submission. But if like to start hunting a property more frequently and was wondering how i best go about the skull. As I really like euro mounts.

Any advice from folks.

And sorry to hear about your results great buck btw.

Thanks.