Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 01:27 PM

Default Zeroing new scope

I bought a Bushnell rimfire scope with the replaceable turrets and mounted it to my Henry .17hmr. I was careful mounting and followed zeroing instructions.

10 shots in it is bang on at 50 yards.
Move out to 100 and it's way out. Way high and right (1 foot)
Dial it in at 100.
Move back to 50 and it's a foot out (windage and elevation).
Ran out of time and warmth and stopped messing with it.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:00 PM

Something is very wrong, if a 17hmr is zeroed at 50yaqrds, it should be pretty much zeroed at 100 yards. I can't think of any reason why it would be out a foot between 50 and 100 yards.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:02 PM

Default Mounts

I’m not sure what you mean by replaceable turrets, but it sounds like you may have a base or ring problem, as it seems out of alignment somehow. Is this a dovetail setup or is there a base on the rifle for the rings to attach to?
Old 01-15-2018, 02:11 PM

Guessing here..but it sounds like a problem scope. This shouldn't matter, but did you have the scope at maximum magnification for both distances?
Old 01-15-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
I’m not sure what you mean by replaceable turrets, but it sounds like you may have a base or ring problem, as it seems out of alignment somehow. Is this a dovetail setup or is there a base on the rifle for the rings to attach to?
I was originally thinking misalignment as well, or canting the rifle, but to be dead on at 50 yards, and a foot off at 100 yards, even laying the rifle on it's side wouldn't put you off that much. The only thing that I could see causing this, is using the wrong hash marks, on a scope with a BDC reticle.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:54 PM

I thought it was a problem scope before with the same trouble, so I replaced it with a "better" one. The replaceable turrets are a bullet compensator for 17hmr or 22lr.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:25 PM

Some how i don't believe your mounting is lined up with your bore. could be bases rings or drilling and tapping on the rifle.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:08 PM

Default Good point

Yes, good point Elk. For fun, if the OP could zero it for 100, then shoot 150 that would tell us something.
Also to the OP, when you shoot 100 and it’s zero, then you move to 50, are you adjusting a dial or just shooting centre reticle on the scope? This will tell if it’s an alignment or an internal scope issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I was originally thinking misalignment as well, or canting the rifle, but to be dead on at 50 yards, and a foot off at 100 yards, even laying the rifle on it's side wouldn't put you off that much. The only thing that I could see causing this, is using the wrong hash marks, on a scope with a BDC reticle.

Last edited by Full Curl Earl; 01-15-2018 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Correct