Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-29-2017, 11:52 AM

Thumbs up Goose Hunting in Africa - Need Shooters

Hi Everyone,

I have booked some dates for Round 2 of wingshooting in South Africa. I went over there a couple of years ago for a fantastic trip and it's time to get after them again.

I have booked dates with the outfitter for roughly June 30th - July 10th, and we will be primarily hunting Geese & Ducks, with some additional bird shooting taking place for Guinea Fowl and possibly a few doves. The reason for these dates is this is our best chance to time the migration perfectly in the areas we want to hunt.

I put up a full story on here from my last trip, but the photobucket account changed (or something) so unfortunately the photos aren't there now. I will see if I can attach a few photos here. But I can tell you that we had excellent goose shooting for a week straight, and shot our limits of 10 geese per person nearly every day we were there. It's mainly Egyptian Geese, with a nice mix of Spur Winged Geese and ducks mixed in. The ducks were Red Billed Teal and another one (yellow billed duck I think?) and overall the trip was a huge success. In between waterfowl hunts we did some walk up Guinea Fowl shooting which was excellent, and was basically like walking up pheasants that came up in flocks of 20-40 birds. Lots of fun and plenty of shooting.

I am looking for about 3 shooters to join me on this trip. I have a couple of different friends who are "kinda interested", but from past experience I know how that's going to turn out in the end.

If anyone is interested in possibly being involved in this trip, I would be happy to connect with you for a conversation. The outfitter will be in Calgary in January for the shows, and if there are a few people interested we can plan some beers and wings or something. For my particular trip, I must say that I have met some great friends on AO and looking to meet more, but SAFETY is priority #1 for me. And #2 is I want to hunt with guys who are interested in having a great time. Good level of passion for hunting but also down to earth and easy to get along with. And please no crazy drinkers! A couple beers are great, but if you're more interested in getting wasted than shooting geese, please hunt with somebody else.

If you are interested in possibly joining on this trip, please PM me and I'll get back to you in mid January. (I'm just about to leave for a goose hunting trip in Scotland! )

Costs will be roughly $350-$400 per day for the guiding/accommodations. Ammo is relatively cheap. Shooting will likely take place out of 2 different areas (so we don't overhunt the fields) and will be likely 2-3 hours outside of Johanesburg. Flights from Calgary to Joburg are roughly $1,200 round trip from my past experience.

The hunt will be primarily in dry fields, although there are a couple of trophy ducks that I want to try for and those will be over marshes.

Additionally, if you are interested in adding in any plains game hunting and shooting some trophies while you are there, that can be arranged either before or after the wingshooting days (possibly in the middle depending on what animals are wanted and/or available in that area.) We can figure out those details later.

You do not need to commit to a full 10 days either. I would recommend taking a full 10 days (as the travel is quite intense to get there) but if you want to come for 7 days we can make that work. Additionally, if someone is interested in shooting birds for 3-4 days and then moving onto plains game, we can have you join us for the second half of the bird shooting and then you can hunt other things after the birds.

P.S. - if anyone is interested in booking a separate trip for your own group, we can include you in a wings and beer night as well. I know from past experience it can be tough sometimes to get friends to fully commit to these things, so a lot of people end up not going at all. Total cost for this trip (all in for birds only) should be around 5K.

Here is a link to the Wingshooting Gallery on their website as well.

http://www.africahuntingoutfitters.c...s/wingshooting

Thanks! Talk mid January.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:51 PM

Default Goose hunting in Africa

Those guinea fowl are cool, are they good eating as well?
Old 12-29-2017, 10:28 PM
Banned

Sounds like an exciting trip, I won't be able to go. One of those bucket list things I waited to long for, but I hope you have a great time !!!!!!
Old 12-30-2017, 09:52 AM

Default Goose hunting in South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Those guinea fowl are cool, are they good eating as well?
Several times I have been on a safari when they told me that guineas are not worth eating. The oddest time was in South Africa in the Orange Free State where I had gone on a week trip to hunt guinea fowl. The outfitter did these hunts about three times a year.

Finally I shot an extra bird, schnitzled it up, and my lady egg washed it and did it up in crumbs and fried it up in butter.

White meat, young bird ... everyone thought it was delicious ... even the lady cook lied (her husband said that she never tasted it) and said it was great.

Every antelope in Africa that I have eaten has been delicious including waterbuck ...

I can not seem to enjoy sand grouse, however. Not sure what a bat tastes like but must be similar.

Fortunately all of the workers crave any kind of protein. Nothing is wasted.

The Goose Slammer dude is a good guy and I have hunted with him in Saskatchewan for sand hill cranes, north of the Mighty Peace for wolves, bear, geese, ducks, and spruce grouse. Also a bunch of times down south here for the wonderful Canada geese. And a bunch of snow geese in the spring...

A great hunter and a wonderful guy to hang around with. A goose hunting trip to South Africa would be one of a hunter's great memories when it is nearing the time to come home from the Hills ...

Last edited by scruffy; 12-30-2017 at 09:56 AM. Reason: error
Old 01-02-2018, 02:55 PM

1200$ to JNB?
Which flight? I paid $1900, $1700 and $1775.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:57 PM

Funny how some can post awesome hunt opportunities on here and it's fine and others can't.
I wish we could have a spot like Accurate reloading for hunt opportunities.
This sounds like a fun hunt and would love to go but if I went back to Africa I would have to re mortgage my house to shoot a bunch of stuff again lol
Old 01-02-2018, 05:06 PM

A very quick check on my computer showed the cheapest flight around $1,800. That is probably high season. My flights to Windhoek in September of 2016 cost $1,900.... I have paid over a grand per ticket more in the high season on that longer flight ... Grrr...
Old 01-02-2018, 06:39 PM

I usually always figure a good $1500+ for any international flight I take. I would expect a flight SA to be around $1800 but time of year is important.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:01 PM

sounds like a fun trip, wish the 649 would pay off soon.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:40 PM

Default Slight Date Change...

Hi Again,

If anyone is interested in discussing this, it looks like we're shooting more towards mid July now. Bit of a mix up on some dates with another client who hadn't finalized exact dates yet.

Regarding flight costs, I can't recall the details from the last trip. I flew on South African and British Airways I think though. Usually some deals pop up if you look for a bit.

Can't wait to get over there again.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
A very quick check on my computer showed the cheapest flight around $1,800. That is probably high season. My flights to Windhoek in September of 2016 cost $1,900.... I have paid over a grand per ticket more in the high season on that longer flight ... Grrr...
Check again, I found a flight for $1204 return within 2 minutes on the computer and after several searches found one for $644 USD!Obviously these will be Econo fares.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
Check again, I found a flight for $1204 return within 2 minutes on the computer and after several searches found one for $644 USD!Obviously these will be Econo fares.
And so I did .. I got on my computer and went through Flight Hub for July 4-14 // or maybe is was 4-18. The cheapest price at the high season was $2,100 Canadian.

For $644 U.S. in July I would book today ... That is $150 per eleven hour flight including taxes ...

You should snap up those tickets .. lot to do in that amazing country ... including goose shooting with the Slammer Dude ..
Old 01-17-2018, 06:09 PM

Default AFRICA airfare

as an FYI those $644 USD fares were on asaptickets.com. I'M SURE THEY COME WITH A FEW "STRINGS ATTACHED?
As for myself, I'm not interested. I still have enough air miles for 8 first class round trips! And I would never think of doing an over night inter-continental trip unless in First Class - I need my rest!
Hoping to do a return trip to Africa this May or next if anyone is interested?
Old 01-17-2018, 06:11 PM

Need a lottery win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 09:43 PM

Default Africa

Africa is within most Canadian hunters reach, it just requires a little research and a contact referral or 2. The last couple of times we went over we did a 14 day / 10-20 animal hunt for $3k/$5k + airfare. The last one I did myself was 12 days/20 animals per day (spingbok/impala/warthog) for $2500 (all $ in U.S.D)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
Africa is within most Canadian hunters reach, it just requires a little research and a contact referral or 2. The last couple of times we went over we did a 14 day / 10-20 animal hunt for $3k/$5k + airfare. The last one I did myself was 12 days/20 animals per day (spingbok/impala/warthog) for $2500 (all $ in U.S.D)
Lets be realistic. 99% of hunters will never get anywhere near those prices. I agree you don't need a lottery win. I work retail and am going for my 3rd time in June. But telling someone they can kill 20 animals for 5k is not even close.

Most outfits run daily rates at 300-350 for a 2x1 package. Yes you can likely get some better pricing if you can talk to the right guy. Lets say you get it for 250 on a "deal". That's 3500 just in day rates for 14 days. Then if you want to kill 20 animals with the remaining 1500 you'd have to try and convince someone that you only want to pay $75 per critter. Good luck! The really cheap critters like Impala, Warthogs and Springbok average 300-350 per animal. Again, sometimes a deal can be struck, but $75 is not going to happen. Then the flights. Usually its between 1500 on the low end to 2000. Unless you want to take 2 days to get there and another 2 to get back with multiple stops.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:34 PM

^ Surely out of topic, but I am just wondering why would anyone want to kill 20 animals on a 14-day hunt?
Old 01-21-2018, 07:28 PM

Default topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ Surely out of topic, but I am just wondering why would anyone want to kill 20 animals on a 14-day hunt?
Not out of topic at all,an excellant question that i wish someone would answer----Like the american snow goose hunters in sask if they dont get a 100 birds a day they give everyone a very hard time-----many of----
Old 01-22-2018, 12:05 AM

It’s off topic because the topic is for a bird hunt while the previous two posts to the question above yours talk about big game. I am also definitely interested to know why would one want to shoot 10+ animals on a 14-day hunt though.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Lets be realistic. 99% of hunters will never get anywhere near those prices. I agree you don't need a lottery win. I work retail and am going for my 3rd time in June. But telling someone they can kill 20 animals for 5k is not even close.

Most outfits run daily rates at 300-350 for a 2x1 package. Yes you can likely get some better pricing if you can talk to the right guy. Lets say you get it for 250 on a "deal". That's 3500 just in day rates for 14 days. Then if you want to kill 20 animals with the remaining 1500 you'd have to try and convince someone that you only want to pay $75 per critter. Good luck! The really cheap critters like Impala, Warthogs and Springbok average 300-350 per animal. Again, sometimes a deal can be struck, but $75 is not going to happen. Then the flights. Usually its between 1500 on the low end to 2000. Unless you want to take 2 days to get there and another 2 to get back with multiple stops.
Sorry to rain on your parade , but I have been to Africa - S.Africa/Botswana/Namibia on several occasions for the cost I mention, taking the animals & quantities I mention. SO IT DOES HAPPEN!
However, if you want to spend the money you mention -have at it. I only posted this for those who don't.
As for the airfare, please read my post again as I say "+ airfare". I use points and always go First Class & as direct as possible.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Not out of topic. Great question though. Why do we hunt? Trophies, culling, sustanance and pest control? Taking down 10- 20 large animals within 2 weeks sounds more like a massacre, especially when one isn't bringing any of the meat home. Perhaps if it's going to feed a local community or for culling purposes?

A option, apart from goose hunting, make an enquiry about baboon or monkey hunts. They cause immense damage to crops. Now that's a great pest control hunt. Takes some skill to hit a second one once they scatter. AND, the price is pretty cheap. When I looked a year ago, it was $100 for the day and unlimited kills. That may have changed with some hunting agencies... Or, find farmer who has the problem and get permission to help him out...similar to how we take out gophers and coyotes on Albertan farm land.
Watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9IYpwx3-_w

As for flights, I've found Googleflights.com populates the cheapest flights and gives you price options if you change dates. Bought 2 tickets for $1300 each, last year another for $1221 for this year June.

Last edited by Aqr8; 01-29-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:59 AM

Everyone hates baboons over in Africa in my experience ... they are nasty varmints at the best of times ... I am no fan of the normal vervet monkeys that are so prevalent ... but I have never bothered them ...

I had a friend who was shooting them at a park one time ... and got caught by a couple of lady tourists who freaked and said that they were on their way to tell the ranger .. my buddy told them to go and do that and as soon as he finished he would join up with them .. He was the ranger.

For me, and I am only speaking about myself and I have been going to Africa as often as I could borrow the money since 1977 ... I have long passed the stage where I want to shoot a huge number of animals. I sat down with a landowner a few years ago and she told me to shoot all of the wildebeests, cow and young bull eland .. even all of the cheetahs that I could .. (they also are not fans of cheetahs)

My lady had never shot a blue wildebeest before and it was nice to see her shoot a couple and not have to pay $950 U.S. each. They needed them culled and were getting about $1.00 U.S. a pound for the meat ...

My problem with shooting a lot of these .. just like high volume dove shoots ... I have a tough time remembering what I had just shot ...

All of these animals are very special and when you stack them up like cord wood ...

I think that a goose shoot with the Slammer in Africa would be a great experience .. if I got a dozen birds of three of four species including those funky geese I would be more than content.

25 years ago .. maybe not as much ..

Just my opinion ...