Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-17-2010, 10:34 PM

Default 111 savage

MY brother-in-law sold all his firearms do to being broke after what happened.
He now hunts for whitetail in Ontario, is looking for a 300 Win Mag. My question is will the scope they sell the package with hold centre after a few round or should he upgrade I am not to famliar with the newer less expensive packages out there.
If anyone as any experience with this firearm it would be greatly to know what you have to say.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:41 PM

i dont know if you could ever really know how well those cheap bushnells (or whatever their putting on them now) will hold up. the rifle itself , being a purely utility rifle, is fine for what it is. but i myself would feel more comfortable at least putting a 3200 or something in that line on it.

or an old paper towel roll would work fine. and not look out of place
Old 04-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Banned

I bought the same package model in 3006 this winter. The first thing to come off was the scope which I swapped with the rifle that this one was replacing. After firing it at the range I decided to buy a Timney Trigger for it. The trigger was just brutal with about an 8 lb pull.

My rifle came with a Bushnell Sharpshooter scope. They might work well for awhile but I wouldn't place any bets on them lasting forever on the higher caliber rifles. If you can afford to buy a good scope then I'd say do it. Otherwise, the one that's on it will last awhile.

If your trigger pull was as bad as mine I'd think about putting in a Timney Trigger as well. And if the trigger is as bad as mine was I'd buy the trigger before a new scope.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:32 AM

If it is the simmons or what ever there called that my buddies 30.06 came with NO! 2 shots and the scope wouldn't track anymore. Just was stuck about 5'' to left and wouldn't move.lol He now has a 3200 bushnell and it works good. The rifle itself is a tack driver.