Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-13-2010, 07:03 PM

Default A Bolt Browning Stainless Steel Stalker

Been doing more research, I see this gun comes with a clip, but does the clip have to hook to the floor plate or is it just a clip?I took back the XCR 300WSM and am just a little concerned about the floor plate, and yet how convenient the clip would be with the Browning. Which of the 2 is a better buy. I originally went with the Rem, because I have the same action in 270 and wanted to stay familiar and comfortanble with that style.

What to do?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 PM

It clips to the floor plate. I think it's a pretty unique design and I actually like it. Takes a bit more time to get out, but you NEVER have to worry about it coming out accidentally.

Last edited by Okotokian; 04-13-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:17 PM

As Okotokian said it clips to latched floor plate and then swings into the stock. I would by far recommend the browning over the Remmy the Q?/c has gone down considerably on remingtons.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:20 PM

The overdesigned magazine system is one reason that I won't own an A-Bolt.Apparently many other people feel the same way,since Browning dropped this magazine design when they came out with the X-Bolt.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:24 PM

Go with the browning x-bolt. Love the clip.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The overdesigned magazine system is one reason that I won't own an A-Bolt.Apparently many other people feel the same way,since Browning dropped this magazine design when they came out with the X-Bolt.
nothing wrong with it, and they are still producing the A-bolt I believe... am I mistaken? I suspect with the X-bolt they just wanted to get the kids who grew up with the Ruger 10-22
Old 04-14-2010, 11:07 AM

You have to realize that the Abolt is a nice looking rifle - especially the medallion. Hinged floorplates or no floorplates are by far the nicest design appearance wise if you ask me. Browning went for appearance but also function and therefore they got the best of both worlds if you ask me. Beautiful hinged floorplate appearance with magazine function!

The magazine clicks in exceptionally well and swings right up into the gun. Looks like this. http://membres.multimania.fr/shooter/images/st6348b.jpg

I own 2 abolts and have nothing but good things to say about the system. I dont want to stir the pot or anything but I think the Abolt magazine system is much more user friendly compared to a tikka t3, savage, and those rem 7600/7400's. (What I am saying, is that you never have to fiddle with it, it might take a few seconds longer to put in, but it always goes in right, I've had times with the guns mentioned above that you have to make sure you put the rear end or front of the mag in first, then snap the other half up and in, sometimes it doesn't latch and you have to smack it or take it out and retry etc etc... the abolt may take a little longer, but they system doesn't require the fiddling, it goes in right every time!)

The thing I find funny, is if you ask what is the best semi - the Browning Bar is proclaimed as the top of the line. Not once on a Bar have I read a complaint about the hinged/detachable magazine system, but I always hear that it is a fault on the Abolt.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:30 AM

Myself i would get a browning. I have a few browning rifles and have had good luck with them, no issues at all. The only thing you do have to be carefull with is the the hinge plate when going through thick under growth. This has happened twice where I lost clips because the button on the front of the trigger gaurd was depressed by a branch or what ever and the hinge plate came open. The clip then must have gotten bumped and fell off. But that for sure is the only thing that I have ever had to bitch about as far as browning goes. You could solve that too with a rubber band i thought before but never tried it. On the other hand that floor plate likely keeps out snow and dust or what ever else.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
It clips to the floor plate. I think it's a pretty unique design and I actually like it. Takes a bit more time to get out, but you NEVER have to worry about it coming out accidentally.
Yep, another vote for liking the design.

Takes a little more time than with just the straight magazine, but quicker than fumbling around with loose shells in / out of the gun, and as noted, pretty slim chance of losing the magazine once it's in.

They are still producing the A-Bolt, and have in fact expanded on it this year along with the X-Bolt, so I don't think Browning has abandoned it. Looks like the X-Bolt was more of a new addition rather than a replacement at this time. I guess it was time to add a little more variety to the line-up.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 PM

So does the X Bolt clip attach to the floor plate as well?I shot my brother inlaws 270 Abolt because I have nevr handle this action. VEry smooth, I was a little clumsy with the clip and floor plate, but once again new to me.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:40 PM

The only thing I have against the abolt is the tiny button that needs to be depressed to open the floor plate. A pain in -20 weather when you hate taking off your gloves. If your button depresses too easily, replace the spring with something stronger. Mine is a sub 1/2 inch gun.