Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-13-2010, 06:58 PM

Default Wtb 17hmr

Looking for a quality 17hmr, with or without scope.

I'm new to this calibre and not necessarily brand loyal, so I'm open to most offerings. I have done some research and will prefer to steer clear of entry level models. Let's say I'm looking for something that would retail in the $400-$700 range new.

Calgary area seller preferred, but will drive half way to Edmonton if necessary.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:11 PM

I got a savage in .17 model 93 I like it. It shoots .213 groups at 100 yards using 17 gr hornady ammo. I have a buddy with a CZ not sure which model? His will shoot the the same. I know you want to stay away from entry level but my savage is $280 at wholesale.It does every thing i want it to, I have killed a gopher this year at over 200 yards! there is about $300 diffrence between the CZ and the savage. Hope this help's a bit. Marlin is also a great brand and worth a look! I'm a big Tikka fan but I stand very impressed with my savage. Cheers Cooter.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:13 PM

Hi Mods - I realize I should have put this into the for sale section. Please feel free to move my post.

Sorry for the hassle.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The cooter View Post
I got a savage in .17 model 93 I like it. It shoots .213 groups at 100 yards using 17 gr hornady ammo. I have a buddy with a CZ not sure witch model? His will shoot the the same. I know you want to stay away from entry level but my savage is $280 at wholesale.It does every thing i want it to, I have killed a gopher this year at over 200 yards! there is about $300 diffrence between the CZ and the savage. Hope this help's a bit. Marlin is also a great brand and worth a look! I'm a big Tikka fan but I stand very impressed with me savage. Cheers Cooter.
Hi Cooter - actually I am eye balling the savage very closely

I'm know there is always the possibility of great value in less expensive packages, but since I'm new to this calibre I thougth I'd stay on the safe side and go with the old adage of "you get what you pay for".

Are there any inherent issues with the savage rim fire rifles that I should be aware of if I consider a used one?

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Hi Cooter - actually I am eye balling the savage very closely

I'm know there is always the possibility of great value in less expensive packages, but since I'm new to this calibre I thougth I'd stay on the safe side and go with the old adage of "you get what you pay for".

Are there any inherent issues with the savage rim fire rifles that I should be aware of if I consider a used one?

Thanks.
Some guys on here were complaining about the mag not feeding very well. Turns out you pinch the clip a little and it fixes the feed problem. As far as personally I can't say that I have had a hint of a problem.I have put over 500 rounds through mine and not a lick. I can't disagree with you, Get what you pay for is a good way to approach it. I know you will be getting tons of feed back from many members soon! Good luck in your tresure hunt!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:51 PM

Default K77/17-VMBBZ 17HMR For Sale

I have a slightly used Ruger K77/17-VMBBZ 17HMR, Grey laminated stock with target grey barrel and action. Topped with a Simmons 6-18x44 target grey scope, amazing shooter.This is a great buy! $740 Im in Turner Valley if you are interested.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:42 AM

Well if want to stay clear of the entry level guns you have the Browning T bolt, Ruger 77/17 and the Weatherby to choose from. The Browning is a really nice rifle and the T bolt is real slick to use. I have a Ruger 77/17 grey laminate and it does shoot tiny groups and a full day of shooting not one jam, that rotary clip is great. Jess S deal is a real good deal and a great rifle.