Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-23-2024, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ If they used their rights in the two situations described, what would have been different?
For one thing, a police car showing up at your home for a few minutes, and then leaving, wouldn't attract as much attention as a car or two spending an hour in front of your home, as the police go through your home and question you. In one case most neighbors wouldn't even notice, but in the other, half the neighbors may now suspect that criminal activities are occurring in your home. In the case of the gunsmith, common sense should result in the police not even bothering to show up at the home, just because someone sees a firearm being carried into the home. There is no reason to show up, unless there is actually a reason to suspect illegal activity, and a firearm being carried into the residence of a gunsmith certainly doesn't provide that reason.
I think back to the RCMP driving out into a goose spread in a field near Edmonton, because a neighbor reported gun shots. People shooting geese in a field that they had permission on is hardly justification for ruining a hunt, but showing up to the same field, the very next day to ruin another hunt, is totally asinine. The RCMP should have showed up to visit the idiot that called them two days in a row instead, and explained to them that no illegal activity is occurring, and that they need to stop calling the police, or face charges for making nuisance reports.
Old 01-23-2024, 06:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Luv it when I read posts here and people toss in common sense which is and I will say it’s again based on an individuals perspective on anything, anywhere at anytime and yet people act surprised when it is not what they would deem “common sense”.... because it doesn’t line up with their perspective.....

Looks like this fella gets traction on YouTube and then finished off the bottle the next day enjoying his own entertainment

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-23-2024, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Did I miss something? What did the guy do wrong? Why was the guy a suspect? If your kids tell teachers you own guns or if you take your hunting rifles to the range or out hunting and your neighbor sees you it deserves a visit from the police?
They are just looking for a way to steal your hunting rifles. They are not there to help you. They don't care about right or wrong or who you are they are just fishing for a way to steal your property
Context is everything.
There's probably some key piece of information that makes this police visit seem more reasonable. Like the kid's personality, or how he behaves at school, or who he was talking about his dad's guns with.

I know this goes against the black and white social media world we're living in, but what do you expect the police to do if the school called them about a child who's talking about guns at school? Just ignore it?
Old 01-23-2024, 07:44 AM

This is why I live in rural alberta. Our kids have hunters ed in school. Clean geese , skin bears in outdoor ed class. Principals even the left wing ones still hunt or understand that firearms are a way of life in Alberta.
We even have fish and wildlife bring animals to school that have been poached or killed and the kids do an autopsy.
If the schools started calling the cops on every kid talking about hunting or going shooting. They would be looking for a new job. We would also need 3 times the police force.
If a cop asks to search your vehicle, home, trailer, for firearms, ammo. He doesn't have legal authority. It is always a hard NO. NEVER ANSWER THE DOOR TO LAW ENFORCEMENT. Speak through the door. If you wish to disengage just turn on the TV and ignore them.
I have seen simple bs turn very bad because rcmp do not know legal storage, transport laws. They even try to enforce wildlife laws....sorry no. Fish and wildlife are 20 times more aware of gun laws than any rcmp.
Try giving a pal course to a rcmp.....
Old 01-23-2024, 07:53 AM

Funny back in saskabush during muzzleloader season I had an RCMP officer pull me over for a rolling stop....guilty....but he asked about hunting etc and asked to see my 50 cal Hawkins which was half loaded meaning powder and a bullet seated but no cap on the nipple...legal....we went back and forth then he walked away back to his car....came back and said we learnt something today...rolling stops are just that and so is half loaded....one is legal and the other illegal.

We had a chuckle about me driving around half loaded...

Old 01-23-2024, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Luv it when I read posts here and people toss in common sense which is and I will say it’s again based on an individuals perspective on anything, anywhere at anytime and yet people act surprised when it is not what they would deem “common sense”.... because it doesn’t line up with their perspective.....

Looks like this fella gets traction on YouTube and then finished off the bottle the next day enjoying his own entertainment
Hmm...Did you finish a bottle off this morning?
Old 01-23-2024, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Hmm...Did you finish a bottle off this morning?
Old 01-23-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
Context is everything.
There's probably some key piece of information that makes this police visit seem more reasonable. Like the kid's personality, or how he behaves at school, or who he was talking about his dad's guns with.

I know this goes against the black and white social media world we're living in, but what do you expect the police to do if the school called them about a child who's talking about guns at school? Just ignore it?
If the child actually mentioned possible illegal activities, then yes the school should call the police, who should investigate. If the child only mentioned target shooting or hunting with his father, both the school and police should mind theiir own business, and do their job.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:47 AM

Default 3 RCMP cars with guns out!

I am an elederly dog trainer who lives in the country, and I too had a visit by the mounties. The gun the neighbours were concerned about was a $1.00 plastic cap gun that I bought from the dollar store and use it to train my dogs.

We live in different times fellows, and there is no doubt that there have been some terrible crimes committed by nuts with guns.

I came out of the house with the cap gun in my pocket and spoke to the officers, and when they asked I showed them my gun to train "not gun shy" lessons.

I'm kind of with the police on this one, I knew one of those young fellows killed in Mayerthorpe. It must be very hard to attact young people into this proffession.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
For one thing, a police car showing up at your home for a few minutes, and then leaving, wouldn't attract as much attention as a car or two spending an hour in front of your home, as the police go through your home and question you. In one case most neighbors wouldn't even notice, but in the other, half the neighbors may now suspect that criminal activities are occurring in your home. In the case of the gunsmith, common sense should result in the police not even bothering to show up at the home, just because someone sees a firearm being carried into the home. There is no reason to show up, unless there is actually a reason to suspect illegal activity, and a firearm being carried into the residence of a gunsmith certainly doesn't provide that reason.
I think back to the RCMP driving out into a goose spread in a field near Edmonton, because a neighbor reported gun shots. People shooting geese in a field that they had permission on is hardly justification for ruining a hunt, but showing up to the same field, the very next day to ruin another hunt, is totally asinine. The RCMP should have showed up to visit the idiot that called them two days in a row instead, and explained to them that no illegal activity is occurring, and that they need to stop calling the police, or face charges for making nuisance reports.
I meant what rights should have the people Walking Buffalo talked about use to change anything?

The goose hunt incident is nuts, lol.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
If the child actually mentioned possible illegal activities, then yes the school should call the police, who should investigate. If the child only mentioned target shooting or hunting with his father, both the school and police should mind theiir own business, and do their job.
I'll add something to your thoughts, first there is a story, then that story is told to a few more, then the story gets told again, and again. Before you know it the story being told the last time has no factual bearing on the original story. The story told to whomever called in the police may have been substantially different from what his kid actually said.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I am an elederly dog trainer who lives in the country, and I too had a visit by the mounties. The gun the neighbours were concerned about was a $1.00 plastic cap gun that I bought from the dollar store and use it to train my dogs.

We live in different times fellows, and there is no doubt that there have been some terrible crimes committed by nuts with guns.

I came out of the house with the cap gun in my pocket and spoke to the officers, and when they asked I showed them my gun to train "not gun shy" lessons.

I'm kind of with the police on this one, I knew one of those young fellows killed in Mayerthorpe. It must be very hard to attact young people into this proffession.
At least the cops were reasonable and didn’t pull the Lethbridge star wars trooper stuff on you, haha.

I don’t think incidents like that can be avoided though. As long as everyone approaches the situation with reason though, everything should end well. All on the person who decides to call for whatever reason.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I'll add something to your thoughts, first there is a story, then that story is told to a few more, then the story gets told again, and again. Before you know it the story being told the last time has no factual bearing on the original story. The story told to whomever called in the police may have been substantially different from what his kid actually said.
That’s exactly the thing. One can speculate all they want, but no one here knows what really happened to begin with except for the police visit.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
When you call the police in that situation, you are in effect making an accusation, so you should be sure of the information. You have no business calling the police, to spread gossip or rumors.
Old 01-23-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

I don't know how to post pictures on here but I would like to post pictures of my Father and what police used to look like.
Trusted members of community. Nobody on power trips to show their authority over the very people they worked for.
Blue uniforms and no body armor or gun belts they used to have revolvers on flap holster and nobody I think in history of Bridgwater police I think ever pulled a gun on anyone despite back then very common for public to have a gun in a truck.
Basically no crime and people liked the police.
When dad became chief the best part of job was he didn't have to lug around a revolver anymore.
Laws were interpreted by police for the overall good of the community Common sense was very common.
I truly believe that today we have a training problem with police. Regardless of Dept they seem to all have taken same stupid college training
My advice to police
If everyone hates you. You might be going about things the wrong way. Although statistically being a police officer is way safer than other professsions. Although now a days Alcohol, suicide,divorce, depression,isolation seems to be part of it
If you want action, join the military.
Old 01-23-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
There's a lot of shoulds in this comment. Just saying.

Here's a another should:
A person who expects teachers, social workers, police, and other members of society to act the exact same way as they do, should expect to be disappointed.
Old 01-23-2024, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
There's a lot of shoulds in this comment. Just saying.

Here's a another should:
A person who expects teachers, social workers, police, and other members of society to act the exact same way as they do, should expect to be disappointed.
I am simply stating that people should stick to the facts, and not make unfounded assumptions.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:51 PM

Ian Runkle has an excellent video breaking down this guys video from a legal perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCV5EPnn6f8
Old 01-24-2024, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post
Ian Runkle has an excellent video breaking down this guys video from a legal perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCV5EPnn6f8
Pretty sure that’s the link in the original post of the thread, haha.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Pretty sure that’s the link in the original post of the thread, haha.
LOL...Yup!

Assumed he had linked to the original video of the guy describing the interaction...
Old 01-25-2024, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
I don't know how to post pictures on here but I would like to post pictures of my Father and what police used to look like.
Trusted members of community. Nobody on power trips to show their authority over the very people they worked for.
Blue uniforms and no body armor or gun belts they used to have revolvers on flap holster and nobody I think in history of Bridgwater police I think ever pulled a gun on anyone despite back then very common for public to have a gun in a truck.
Basically no crime and people liked the police.
When dad became chief the best part of job was he didn't have to lug around a revolver anymore.
Laws were interpreted by police for the overall good of the community Common sense was very common.
I truly believe that today we have a training problem with police. Regardless of Dept they seem to all have taken same stupid college training
My advice to police
If everyone hates you. You might be going about things the wrong way. Although statistically being a police officer is way safer than other professsions. Although now a days Alcohol, suicide,divorce, depression,isolation seems to be part of it
If you want action, join the military.
Take a deep breath....
Old 01-25-2024, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Take a deep breath....
And pour a drinky Pooh or two....follow it up with legal advice....

Old 01-25-2024, 07:03 AM

The simple fact is that society has changed, when I started using firearms, people didn't panic when someone carried a firearm to their vehicle, or when firearms were left in a rear window rack on a pickup. Firearms were seen as tools , not some evil threat. If you heard gunshots in the country, you didn't panic and call police, and you didn't feel threatened, because you weren't looking for a reason to be afraid or offended.
Then came the anti gun agenda, with schools, universities etc teaching people to fear firearms, and that they are evil. And with that came the liberal anti firearms agenda, whose goal it is to disarm all Canadians.And then came the woke, looking for any excuse to be afraid or offended, and they will call the police at the mere mention of a firearm. And of course the woke will attempt to justify any action , if it involves removing firearms from citizens. We see enough of that right here on AO, despite this being an outdoors forum, so of course it will be even worse in the general population. It has gotten to where some people are afraid to even mentioning legal firearms or the legal use of firearms, in public, because it might trigger some woke individual, to panic and call the police, for no reason other than they are woke.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:59 PM

I remember those days too, Elk.

Hollywood has done quite the job conditioning the masses too. “Eeek! A GUN!”

Notice how the Hollywood heroes these days don’t like to carry guns but somehow manage to wrest one from the hands of the inept criminal to “bring them to justice”.
Old 01-25-2024, 05:53 PM

Does a comment on social media constitute legal requirement for a warrant that will not be successfully overridden in court?
No warrant, no entry.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Does a comment on social media constitute legal requirement for a warrant that will not be successfully overridden in court?
No warrant, no entry.
Hard to say, but warrants are commonly issued and people have been convicted for threats or criminal activity that have been recorded over the phone for decades. I don't see it being much different recorded in print or video on the internet.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Hard to say, but warrants are commonly issued and people have been convicted for threats or criminal activity that have been recorded over the phone for decades. I don't see it being much different recorded in print or video on the internet.
It would have to be a pretty clear and direct threat or the person would have strong grounds for a case against the warrant. Or, a case against any evidence gathered in a unlawful entry.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I would guess that on any given day there would be tens of thousands off of the cuff threats against government persons on social media. Im thinking that the threat would have to have a very large amount of specific details or plans to justify a warrant.