Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-15-2010, 06:28 PM

Default Guys and Gals, some info on PAL's

This other thread about this fella getting charged while he was out shooting goophers/whatever without being the holder of a valid PAL/POL got me thinking......and I decided to share some stuff with you.

For most of you that KNOW, this will be a refresher and you do not need to read it as it is redundant for you.

For those of you who THINK you know, this is for you.

1)If you are alone and want to have a non restricted firearm with you, whether hunting or plinking, you need to have your valid PAL or POL with you. I mean with you. Not in the glove compartment, not at home in your drawer, WITH YOU.

2)If you do not have a PAL or POL and want to carry a non-restricted firearm, you can. But you must be within arms reach of a person who is the holder of a valid PAL or POL. He must have his PAL or POL on him. Check and make sure he does. See it. It's your ass on the line too...

3)If your non restricted firearms are not registered, that is ok. They do not have to be at this time. You now have until May 2011 to do so. If you have a registration card and want to carry it with you, fine. You can do that.

4)If you have non restricted firearms in your home, and no one in your family living with you has a valid PAL or POL, you should let someone with a valid PAL or POL take possession of your firearms until you get a PAL. Basically, you are unlicensed and in possession of firearms, which is illegal.

How would anyone find out, you ask?????

Let's say your home gets broken into and the bad guy gets your .22 rifle. The cops catch the bad guy and he tells them where he got the rifle. Cops visit you, find out you had the gun illegally, now you are charged too.....

Or.....your alarm goes off at your home and cops get there before you do. They clear the house and find your .22 sitting under the bed (because cops will check there for a bad guy ..... or in your closet.....)etc. You have no license, you get charged.

The bottom line is this: If you don't have a valid PAL or POL, you should not be in possession of any firearms.

I hope this helps. And I hope it eliminates the need for threads like

"Do I need a license if my rifle doesnt have a clip anymore"? .....or

"Do I need a PAL if I just want to take my dad's rifle to the neighbors to shoot gophers"? etc etc etc......

The Firearms Act is quite simple to understand....I mean really, it is, considering a bunch of no-brained Liberals created it, how tough can it be????
Old 04-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
This other thread about this fella getting charged while he was out shooting goophers/whatever without being the holder of a valid PAL/POL got me thinking......and I decided to share some stuff with you.

For most of you that KNOW, this will be a refresher and you do not need to read it as it is redundant for you.

For those of you who THINK you know, this is for you.

1)If you are alone and want to have a non restricted firearm with you, whether hunting or plinking, you need to have your valid PAL or POL with you. I mean with you. Not in the glove compartment, not at home in your drawer, WITH YOU.

2)If you do not have a PAL or POL and want to carry a non-restricted firearm, you can. But you must be within arms reach of a person who is the holder of a valid PAL or POL. He must have his PAL or POL on him. Check and make sure he does. See it. It's your ass on the line too...

3)If your non restricted firearms are not registered, that is ok. They do not have to be at this time. You now have until May 2011 to do so. If you have a registration card and want to carry it with you, fine. You can do that.

4)If you have non restricted firearms in your home, and no one in your family living with you has a valid PAL or POL, you should let someone with a valid PAL or POL take possession of your firearms until you get a PAL. Basically, you are unlicensed and in possession of firearms, which is illegal.

How would anyone find out, you ask?????

Let's say your home gets broken into and the bad guy gets your .22 rifle. The cops catch the bad guy and he tells them where he got the rifle. Cops visit you, find out you had the gun illegally, now you are charged too.....

Or.....your alarm goes off at your home and cops get there before you do. They clear the house and find your .22 sitting under the bed (because cops will check there for a bad guy ..... or in your closet.....)etc. You have no license, you get charged.

The bottom line is this: If you don't have a valid PAL or POL, you should not be in possession of any firearms.

I hope this helps. And I hope it eliminates the need for threads like

"Do I need a license if my rifle doesnt have a clip anymore"? .....or

"Do I need a PAL if I just want to take my dad's rifle to the neighbors to shoot gophers"? etc etc etc......

The Firearms Act is quite simple to understand....I mean really, it is, considering a bunch of no-brained Liberals created it, how tough can it be????
Thank You for posting that, and the Amnesty doesn't mean you can legally have an unregistered gun, just means you will not be charged for having one uintil May 2011 BtW, your post will likely get edited because u said A*** the guy is around!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:47 PM

Good reminder. I'm still surprised at how many people don't know the difference between licensing and the registry. Unfortunately most of them are the politicians that make the laws in our country.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Good reminder. I'm still surprised at how many people don't know the difference between licensing and the registry. Unfortunately most of them are the politicians that make the laws in our country.
It amazes me actually.......

Almost every CFSC course I run has one person who, prior to the course, says;" So, do you think this gun registry is gonna go thru????"

And I have to tell them it has been around for 14yrs......

I find that some people have no idea about their rights, the laws, and their responsibilities, until they get in a jam.....
Old 04-15-2010, 09:23 PM

And usually not even then, judging by the fact that the most our fellow who got caught with his gopher gun seemed to be worried about was getting the gun back.

Frans
Old 04-15-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
And usually not even then, judging by the fact that the most our fellow who got caught with his gopher gun seemed to be worried about was getting the gun back.

Frans
Should be the least of his worries for sure.....
Old 04-15-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Should be the least of his worries for sure.....
Thank you Allan Rock for turning so many law-abiding citizens into "paper" criminals with your BS law.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:25 PM

Here's a scenario:

A guy at work wants to go plinking with his buddies.He has never had a gun or hunting license.He goes out takes a few shots and enjoys himself and decides he wants to get himself a .22.Somebody says, hey I've got an old .22 I haven't used in 30 years;you can have it along with a few boxes of shells I've got lying around.

The guy giving away the .22 might be under the assumption that a lot of people have not registered their guns and neither has he.The amnesty is still on so there shouldn't be a problem with giving his .22 away.Since he hasn't hunted or had anything to do with firearms in years,he still thinks that you only need an FAC to BUY guns.

The guy receiving the .22 figures he's not doing anything wrong and has never even heard of a POL or PAL and decides that like a lot of other people he's not going to register this gun right away.

I understand that ignorance of the law is no excuse in the courts but I can see this scenario happening.I just hope that they give the guy a break.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Here's a scenario:

A guy at work wants to go plinking with his buddies.He has never had a gun or hunting license.He goes out takes a few shots and enjoys himself and decides he wants to get himself a .22.Somebody says, hey I've got an old .22 I haven't used in 30 years;you can have it along with a few boxes of shells I've got lying around.

The guy giving away the .22 might be under the assumption that a lot of people have not registered their guns and neither has he.The amnesty is still on so there shouldn't be a problem with giving his .22 away.Since he hasn't hunted or had anything to do with firearms in years,he still thinks that you only need an FAC to BUY guns.

The guy receiving the .22 figures he's not doing anything wrong and has never even heard of a POL or PAL and decides that like a lot of other people he's not going to register this gun right away.

I understand that ignorance of the law is no excuse in the courts but I can see this scenario happening.I just hope that they give the guy a break.

Wow........Ignorance of the law.....

Well, how about this????

Did you know that up until 1994 in Prince Albert, SASK, it was "legal" to shoot an Indian on horseback from a covered wagon????

You suppose that someone who does that tomorrow should be able to plead "ignorance"...?
Old 04-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Gone Hunting

^^^^^^!!!!!! THEY CHANGED THAT????!!!!!!.....Joking guys only joiking
Old 04-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Banned

Happens everyday
Old 04-17-2010, 05:32 PM

I don't agree with many of the gun laws,but it's much less trouble to follow them,than to ignore them and be charged as a result.I really can't feel sorry for people that choose to simply ignore the law.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:35 PM

Alberta Provincial Laws

· Businesses must provide rails for tying up horses.

· Wooden logs may not be painted.

· It is illegal to set fire to the wooden leg of a wooden legged man

· You may never use dice to play craps.

City Laws

· If you are released from prison, it is required that you are given a handgun with bullets and a horse, so you can ride out of town.

Whether or not these are still in the books I do not know.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 04-17-2010, 05:46 PM

Another good one was "You could not shoot a Huderite on Sundays", I guess every other day was fair game. LOL!!!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned

I noticed on this forum they released a pedophile the other day.
Maybe they have a vacancy over at the jail, and are trying to get A REAL CRIMINAL WHO violated sections 91 amd 92 of the kriminal kode.

The conservative of Kanada is soliciting donations quite heavily this week, let them know how you feel when they call.

Tell them Albertans want C-68 with sections 91 and 92 of the criminal code gone...or no vote....

When you asked then what are going to do... if they don't get rid of C68 tell the nice person about the SSSSSSep.... word.

I don't think those easterners get our atitudes in Alberta even to this very day.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:51 PM

Default Great thread

What happens if the registry "dies" will anyone be able to buy non restricted?

Also...

http://www.crpc.ca/

April 24, 8-5 maybe sold out. But the website has other dates, I am pretty sure the location is by the Calgary airport behind the port o call hotel.

Both Pal and RPal

Last edited by Ruger1022; 04-17-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:10 PM

Thanks good info!