Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-13-2010, 04:17 PM

Default Which Rifle to buy to last a life time?

I am looking to by one rifle and want it to last for many years. i am thinking about the Browning X Bolt as I already have an A bolt and would trade it for anything. But in all my years I have only shot Brownigs as thats what my dad shoots so thats what I shot and shoot. I am not looking for caliber recommendation as I already have that one figured out. If that does make a difference I am getting a 7mm mag. But looking to hear what everyone has to say as I want one rifle and thats it. Looking to spend max $2000 for gun, scope, mounts and 6 boxes of shells. So if anyone has any thing to say I would love to hear it.

Thanks
Tinman
Old 04-13-2010, 04:22 PM

Clean them after you shoot them and they all should last a life time. I've got 3 lee enfields that are still going after over 70 years. It's not what you buy it's how you look after what you bought.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:34 PM

if your abolt is the 7 mag you want, your done, go buy some ammo, or better yet reloading set up and components to last a lifetime. lee.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:44 PM

Buy a Winchester Model 70 extreme weather 30-06. Top it with Leupold DD's and a Leupold FX II 6X36 and it will last several lifetimes.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-13-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Buy a Winchester Model 70 extreme weather 30-06. Top it with Leupold DD's and a Leupold FX II 6X36 and it will last several lifetimes.

that’s a great Idea!!!!!! but I would stick with a smaller caliber and a bigger case, like a .284 designed by a company called Remington.

lets try to stay on track.

like Duceman said if the a-bolt is a 7mm rem mag stick with it. I would spend the coin on upgrading the glass, start reloading, or dump some money into making it more accurate.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:17 PM

This is a question that only the person asking it can really answer. For myself the only guns I buy that I think might last a lifetime without getting them worked on, are 22 rimfire. All my other guns I end up getting them re-barreled every couple of years. A 7MM in a Browning A-bolt would be a nice gun but I would be looking for a new barrel inside 2 years and I have found that a lot of gun smith like working on a Remington 700 action over a Browning A-bolt. So if I am going to have a gun that is going to be around for a while I have to think about how hard is it to get new barrel for it and just how hard is that cartridge on barrels. For my choice these are things I think about but for someone else that would only put a 100 rounds a year through their gun it would not even come up. Browning makes a good rifle and if you look after it you be able to enjoy it for years to come.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderpride55 View Post
that’s a great Idea!!!!!! but I would stick with a smaller caliber and a bigger case, like a .284 designed by a company called Remington.

lets try to stay on track.
OK I'll stay on track. The A-Bolt sucks, the X-Bolt can't be much better and I prefer non belted cases.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 PM

chuck, you have some points, but...
considering he said 6 boxes of ammo, almost any gun will make it, if that's what you call a life time.
i fireformed and tested more loads than that on last saturday!!
you have to remember that every one doesn't shoot as much as we do.
and i'd invite your cooper to meet my boy's abolt, in 280, at the range anyday.
i'll bbq some of this year's moose, and last years elk, if he's not around to catch us!
i like rider's idea of beter glass and more shooting. i'd say there's at least 2,000 useable shots in any 7rem, if your real fussy, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:32 PM

sorry about the cooper crack chuck, i meant winchester, but cooper's are welcome too, lee.

2. #1 is true.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
chuck, you have some points, but...
considering he said 6 boxes of ammo, almost any gun will make it, if that's what you call a life time.
i fireformed and tested more loads than that on last saturday!!
you have to remember that every one doesn't shoot as much as we do.
and i'd invite your cooper to meet my boy's abolt, in 280, at the range anyday.
i'll bbq some of this year's moose, and last years elk, if he's not around to catch us!
i like rider's idea of beter glass and more shooting. i'd say there's at least 2,000 useable shots in any 7rem, if your real fussy, lee
I'd say minimum 2000, I have loading records of my Ruger 7mm with just over 4000 rds. of handloads thru' it. and it was still shooting well...won't mention the load, but it wasn't at the low end of the scale, unless you are a serious bench rest shooter, 2-3000 rounds is likely a very long time
Old 04-13-2010, 05:47 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyelk View Post
It's not what you buy it's how you look after what you bought.
Definitely the best advice in this thread so far.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:48 PM

Ok thanks for the imput so far to clear up a few things the Browning A Bolt I have is a 243 and is a good deer and coyote gun but want the 7mm for a good all round gun. Also when I said six boxes of shells I was just saying for $2000 thats what I want to spend this year. I hope to shoot at least six boxes of shells this year thats all. i justed want to give people an idea of what I was looking to spend so to avoid the comments from people say to get the most exspensive out there thats all. Thanks for you thoughts so far.

Tinman
Old 04-13-2010, 06:49 PM

It all depends how much you shoot,and what you call a lifetime.If you shoot several hundred rounds per year,even with proper loads and maintenance,the useful accuracy life of the barrel may be gone within ten years or less,depending on the cartridge.The barrel may need to be changed,but the rest of the rifle will be usable.If you shoot a box or two per year,your rifle should last longer than any human has lived.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:44 PM

If you have a hankering for a specific gun, buy it because if you really plan on keeping it for a lifetime, forever is a long time to own something you compromised on. As said earlier take care of what ever you buy and it'll be there for you down the road.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:29 PM

Buy whatever rifle you like and take care if it and it will last you a lifetime its all personal preference and you dont need anyone else telling you to what to buy.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:44 PM

Agreed 7mm-08, care and cleaning. Find what you like and go from there.

But if you have to buy only one, I would recomend a Weatherby
Old 04-16-2010, 03:56 PM

Pick the platform that fits ! Bottom line most are accurate enough and will last a life time. When I was younger I probably shot close to 1000 rounds a year through my guns ,I bet I haven't fired more than 20 / year in the last 3 years. Besides, why would you want to limit yourself to only 1-2 guns? They are addictive(especially accurate ones)
Old 04-16-2010, 04:09 PM

For me it would be a Sako m75 ss 300WM. Find a good used one and you are set for life. I found one for a buddy 2 years ago...mint for $1600 shipped included hard case, Optilock rings/bases and a Leupold 3.5-10x50 scope

I'm not a Browning fan from previous experiences with their Warranty Department
Old 04-16-2010, 08:29 PM

2- 3000 rounds is likely going to take the average guy years upon years to put through their rifle. This is a bit extreme but my dad has been picking at his same box of core lokts for coming up six seasons haha, one bullet to check zero, one moose, one deer. Thats in the 7mm anyways, a few more rounds go through the 243 for coyotes and such.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
2- 3000 rounds is likely going to take the average guy years upon years to put through their rifle. This is a bit extreme but my dad has been picking at his same box of core lokts for coming up six seasons haha, one bullet to check zero, one moose, one deer. Thats in the 7mm anyways, a few more rounds go through the 243 for coyotes and such.
Same here, have had a sako finnbear since 1977, still looks pretty!!!!!
Old 04-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Banned

Strange Q.... I had a 3006... they say the best gun man ever made, to kill man size game.. grand. I went to Osoyoos one day and an old man was selling Brnos . went there for a year off and on then bought one.. a 375 H&H took it to the range and shot it. My Jaw droped and my Eyes opened the hitting power of that H&H was out of this world . That was it my new love never a 3006 for me. Then some years latter I went to a old armes dealer in Home... kinda looking for a nother 375... the laws where coming in and he wanted to get out. I asked him if he had a 375, he said Ya but he would give me a great deal on a big bore that he was trying to sell for some years but no one would buy... A rem 458.. I picked it up Light as a feather the action as smooth as glass and it went to my shoulder like a hound to a coon it was new and for 500 bucks . So what is the best rifle...