Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-15-2010, 10:29 PM

Default While on the legal questions - storage in absentia?

Hi all,

While we are talking about legalities I was wondering if you guys could shed some light on this question:

Before I venture further, I will call the CFO to double check but this question elicited some different answers on canadiangunnutz (sorry if you read it there!)-

I will be abroad for the last half of this year (6 months) but will maintain an address/domicile that is on the CFC database as per usual. I have 2 non-restricted rifles I need to store. I will be storing some of my belongings in a locked self-storage unit that only I have the a key to but that is not my address.

I was thinking about storing my rifles in this locked unit so my girlfriend does not have to look after them for me. Both rifles will be cable and trigger locked, bolts stored separately, no ammo at all in the storage unit, copies of reg certificates attached (of course if it is allowd by the storage provider).

I have read the storage legislation and this would seem to comply with all the requirements for safe storage. I cannot find anywhere where this contravenes the law for storage of NON restricteds. The law does not specifically make clear anything related to this type of strorage, or am I wrong?
Would you aggree or do you see something I have missed, making this storage a problem?

I am not rying to push the law here, on the contrary I am tring to play 101% within it, hence my interest.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2010, 07:53 AM

you are fine with that storage senerio.matter of fact you are going above and beyond by cable and trigger locking and taking the bolts out.when you put your guns in a self storage lockup you are essentially putting your rifles in a vault.you could even leave your ammunition in there as long as nobody else has a key to the locker.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:31 AM

Thats what how I see it.

The question that was posed to me was regarding the address, some said that is the address I should supply (the storage loction). I disagree, it should be my domicile/mail address as the purpose is to receive notifications.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Thats what how I see it.

The question that was posed to me was regarding the address, some said that is the address I should supply (the storage loction). I disagree, it should be my domicile/mail address as the purpose is to receive notifications.
I believe you are asked to supply both your address(mailing) and the physical location the firearms are stored at.

Remember to oil them well if you are leaving them in a storage unit. Might want to consider greasing them as well. Not sure what the humidity would be like in one of those units.