Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2014, 08:47 PM

Default We need weeping tile!!! Interior or exterior?

So my basement is wet. It's been determined that I need a new weeping tile system. Lets avoid the talk about it possibly being cracks or another problem etc.

Which is better? Pros and cons with interior weeping tile vs exterior weeping.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2014, 08:56 PM

I've never heard of interior weeping tile. If it where me I would excavate all around your house, clean the wall real good, install weeping tile, blue skin and protection, backfill with a good granular fill, and make sure the grading is well drained all around the house.

I would also hire a very good contractor to do the work. Check references and go look at some jobs they have done and talk to the owners. make sure they have insurance paid up, get a clearance letter from the insurance company and wcb.

How did you come to the conclusion you need weeping tile ?

Dog_River
Old 08-15-2014, 10:06 PM

Default Weeping Tile

Just finished doing my own place. If you decide to do exterior shoot me a PM. I may be able to help out but like Dog River mentioned, new tile, Blueskin and Super Seal dimpled membrane is what I did and very pleased with the outcome. Good Luck.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:18 PM

Did it in a large home of a guy I worked for one winter Was a bit of a job carrying all the mud up the stairs one 5 gallon pail at a time Replaced the mud with gravel and weeping tile It worked just fine
Old 08-15-2014, 11:19 PM

Sorry double post

Mack
Old 08-15-2014, 11:22 PM

Exterior is the best way why bring water into living side of foundation if you dont have to. Dig it up clean walls down install blue skin as advisor and install weeping tile with sock, delta 6000 wrap top off with drainage gravel and back fill.

Mack
Old 08-16-2014, 12:06 AM

Take it from me, if you can do exterior do it that way.

I did interior on my house as I poured concrete 3/4 of the way around my house for a patio and sidewalk and didn't want to bust up new concrete.
My basement needed to be gutted anyway so it made sense.
I did it all myself with the help of some friends with strong backs and it is the best thing I've done to the place. Never a drop on the floor anymore.

Outside is a much better way to go though as you can use machinery and keep the mess out of the house. Doing it on the Interior you may as well move the family out because of the dust involved. It's always better to stop water on the exterior if you can.

It is a very labour intensive project if it is interior (I've still got to deal with the hernia I got from that).

If for some reason you decide that interior is the better way to go for you let me know and I can send you some pictures of what I did with mine. It's too hard to explain with text how to do it the best way possible.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:09 AM

One other thing, if your home is older like mine you may want to have your sewer line checked. If it is that wonderful stuff 'no corrode', I would highly recommend changing out your line while you're making a mess anyway.