Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-28-2020, 01:37 PM

Default Blackstone river question

it has been many moons since i have been. I was curious if the cutty fishing was better furth down stresm to braz area.. or up further by chungo creek hwy 40. Kids want to try hand at stream trout.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:48 PM

Further up IMO.

J
Old 07-29-2020, 09:31 PM

Just spent a week in the area and fished the Blackstone twice. If it's been "many moons" since you've been, I think you're in for a disappointment. OHV users have overrun the area. The sign by the campground that says "No Bait Allowed" has been altered, with the "No" spray painted over. I'm not sure the campground is even there anymore - it looks like a large OHV mud hole retreat.
I used to go into a spot further downstream that was fabulous, but a fairly long hike in. Now it appears the side by side crowd has carved a trail right down to the river. Needless to say, fishing was dismal.
I see on some other threads there's concern about coal mines opening in the area. Hate to break it to you all, but the OHV crowd is going to destroy it all well before the coal mines do. The area is nothing like it was 15 years ago.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDog View Post
I used to go into a spot further downstream that was fabulous, but a fairly long hike in. Now it appears the side by side crowd has carved a trail right down to the river. Needless to say, fishing was dismal.
I see on some other threads there's concern about coal mines opening in the area. Hate to break it to you all, but the OHV crowd is going to destroy it all well before the coal mines do. The area is nothing like it was 15 years ago.
That's sad to hear. Yeah OHV's have as much impact as cattle to streams - I mean they have their place but not anywhere that's ecologically sensitive as they destroy places like that. They also tend to attract the "partiers who leave a big mess" types, who deserve to be flogged.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDog View Post
Just spent a week in the area and fished the Blackstone twice. If it's been "many moons" since you've been, I think you're in for a disappointment. OHV users have overrun the area. The sign by the campground that says "No Bait Allowed" has been altered, with the "No" spray painted over. I'm not sure the campground is even there anymore - it looks like a large OHV mud hole retreat.
Not surprised at all by this. Take a stop at the Big Horn dam area if you ever want to get a laugh....or cry.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:17 AM

Default Blackstone river question

Was just there yesterday. Tons of trailers and OHVs everywhere. We went up the Cutoff Creek road towards the Blackstone Gap.

River levels were decent, water was clear. Fishing was slow and the cuts were small. I did get a 14” mountain white on a dry fly...

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors

Last edited by SamSteele; 07-30-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:33 AM

I have avoided the Blackstone so far this year due to the reports that I am hearing about overuse by random campers, OHVs, etc. I really wish that they would protect more of this area and I am hopeful that it will return to normal next year. Even normal isn't that great some years.