Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-23-2020, 09:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up Len Thompson Celebrates 90 Years in a BIG Way

Well we said we needed a road trip....just a short get away and since both of us enjoy fishing and I am a Len Thompson Lure fishing freak as these spoons catch any species....trolling, jigging, casting....salt water, fresh water....never let me down...I will change it up but somehow always find my way back to a Len Thompson spoon of some configuration...so off we go for a four hour drive to Lacombe where the small but humble factory is and yup the worlds largest lure....just happens to be my all time favorite...a massive 5 of diamonds. they are not giving factory tours right now but we went into the shop after stopping by the trout pond and taking a few pics....we picked up a few items....sorry cant resist as I was in heaven....could hear the spoons being made in the back...sounded like coins coming out of a slot machine....if you are ever wanting to go on a road trip and you enjoy fishing, heritage, history etc head out to Lacombe...

http://www.lenthompson.com/

IMG_20200622_194258_100.jpg

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-23-2020, 01:06 PM

Sure is nice to have a great company like that in Alberta!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Sure is nice to have a great company like that in Alberta!
X2, I for one get a little bit miffed when guys ask about cheaper alternatives. Len Thompsons are actually a little cheaper than most other premium brand spoons. Many of these competitors are now manufactured in China for peanuts, while Len Thompson builds their product in one of the most expensive places to do business in the world, following stringent labor and environmental laws. The day I am no longer willing to purchase a competitively priced product from a local company, I don't know how I can rightfully expect to keep collecting my own inflated Albertan wage.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-23-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:14 PM

Awesomeness! I had no idea they'd been around so long. Love their stuff, I can remember being a kid and saving money from mowing lawns to buy them.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:12 PM

I cant wait for them to offer factory tours again

i've done the steam whistle factory tour in ontario which was quite interesting. They would give you a cold cold beer to drink during the tour.

I wonder if Len thompson offers a cold beer during the tour hahaha or should we BYOB

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-23-2020, 07:37 PM

I'm going to have to add a Len Thompson factory tour to my list of things to do. I like their spoons. My spoon collection is split 50:50 between Len Thompson and Gibbs-Delta (another Canadian company).
Old 06-23-2020, 07:39 PM

Default Len Thompson is top notch.

The people that work there love it. Very low turn around and they treat their employees well. Best company in town.
Have never changed the quality of thier product for higher profits.
We in Lacombe are very proud of Len Thompson.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:51 PM

Seems like their recipe is simple. High quality, fairly priced, efficient, locally produced product. Hope they get 90 more!
Old 06-23-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post

i've done the steam whistle factory tour in ontario which was quite interesting. They would give you a cold cold beer to drink during the tour.

I wonder if Len thompson offers a cold beer during the tour hahaha or should we BYOB
While you're in lacombe, hit up blind man brewery.
They even have a 5 of diamonds pilsner.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:54 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
While you're in lacombe, hit up blind man brewery.
They even have a 5 of diamonds pilsner.
Ohhh and we did that too

Took a few cans home

Couldn't help myself.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:56 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
The people that work there love it. Very low turn around and they treat their employees well. Best company in town.
Have never changed the quality of thier product for higher profits.
We in Lacombe are very proud of Len Thompson.
I got that feeling when we went in....nice people....seemed very happy and willing to answer questions etc.....

Old 06-24-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I'm going to have to add a Len Thompson factory tour to my list of things to do. I like their spoons. My spoon collection is split 50:50 between Len Thompson and Gibbs-Delta (another Canadian company).
If i remember correctly Gibbs, is Canadian owned but make there products in China. Williams is Canadian made, and Lucky strike is made in North American (split between US and Canada)
Old 06-24-2020, 12:47 PM

Len Thompson is responsible for thousands of young anglers catching their first fish over many years. I know I caught my first fish on one. Hands down LT spoons are a staple in the tackle box.

Imagine... if they ever drained the lakes and rivers it would reveal thousands of len thompsons of all eras snagged on something.

Back in the early 60's folks caught someone at wizard lake that put a heavy rope tied to heavy weighted pails across the shoreline where lots of fishermen casted. Someone figured they were going to hook onto the snag that kept taking hooks and ended up pulling up the large rope full of len thompson spoons and old heddon plugs. The hook snagger thief was caught.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-24-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
If i remember correctly Gibbs, is Canadian owned but make there products in China. Williams is Canadian made, and Lucky strike is made in North American (split between US and Canada)
That very well could be. I'll have to dig a bit. I'd like to support Canadian companies, but not Chinese manufacturing. The Gibbs Croc spoon is my go to to spoon for trout and salmon species. I like how they don't use treble hooks. The Len Thompson red and white stripe is my go to pike spoon, but I always end up swapping out the treble hooks for a single.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:00 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
That very well could be. I'll have to dig a bit. I'd like to support Canadian companies, but not Chinese manufacturing. The Gibbs Croc spoon is my go to to spoon for trout and salmon species. I like how they don't use treble hooks. The Len Thompson red and white stripe is my go to pike spoon, but I always end up swapping out the treble hooks for a single.
go to the dimple series then for Len Thompson....you get two choices of hooks in one package.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
go to the dimple series then for Len Thompson....you get two choices of hooks in one package.
I'll check them out!

I had a couple people on another forum confirm for me. Gibbs-Delta lures are designed in Canada, made in China. Boo hiss.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Hate to break it to you guys, but Gibbs has been made in China for the last 3 years or so. At the point it happened Len Thompson was affiliated with Gibbs in some form, I asked them if they had plans to move to China as well and they told me that they had split ways with Gibbs.

Luhr Jenson has also moved to China so I get my Crock style spoons from Lucky Strike or Daredevil these days. The dimpled series actually perform much like the Crock spoons, maintain a very steady wobble through a very wide range of speeds... which makes them less finicky than the original series switching out the trebles for singles without affecting the action.

Either way, we gotta take care of local companies like Len Thompson.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-24-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:02 PM

I do wish I could get these spoons more frequently than when I make trips to the parents house. Bought one of their dimpled spoons and it turns out that is one hot lure on Flathead Lake for lake trout!
Old 06-26-2020, 06:00 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I do wish I could get these spoons more frequently than when I make trips to the parents house. Bought one of their dimpled spoons and it turns out that is one hot lure on Flathead Lake for lake trout!
You can order them directly from thier factory....go to thier website and load up

http://www.lenthompson.com/

Old 08-03-2020, 08:15 AM

I recently ordered about $85 of lures from Len Thompson in Lacombe, AB. Imagine my surprise when I found this hand written ‘Thank you’ note from the President, Brad Pallister in the box! Now THAT is service! Wow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C2875DB4-5039-4B7B-AE31-4AA8529B2BBF.jpg (45.7 KB, 79 views)
Old 08-03-2020, 08:18 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curado View Post
I recently ordered about $85 of lures from Len Thompson in Lacombe, AB. Imagine my surprise when I found this hand written ‘Thank you’ note from the President, Brad Pallister in the box! Now THAT is service! Wow!
Just all around class act outfit.

Heading out to the big lake shortly and you can bet your britches I will toss a few or troll a few Len thompsons today

Old 08-03-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Len Thompson is responsible for thousands of young anglers catching their first fish over many years. I know I caught my first fish on one. Hands down LT spoons are a staple in the tackle box.

Imagine... if they ever drained the lakes and rivers it would reveal thousands of len thompsons of all eras snagged on something.

Back in the early 60's folks caught someone at wizard lake that put a heavy rope tied to heavy weighted pails across the shoreline where lots of fishermen casted. Someone figured they were going to hook onto the snag that kept taking hooks and ended up pulling up the large rope full of len thompson spoons and old heddon plugs. The hook snagger thief was caught.

Last year or was it the year before (?) they lowered the level of the Glenmore reservoir. Anyone with a metal detector could easily get as many lures as they could carry, insane how many are lost. The ones that held up the best were actually the Len Thompson ones although the yellow ones faded to a greenish colour. Most other lures were badly corroded.

I heard a story of someone tossing an old bed frame into a popular fishing hole in the waterhen river then diving on it after the season was over. I’m not sure if it’s true or not but if it’s the hole I’m thinking of I sure lost a lot of spoons in it.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post

You just need to go down the road and visit Blind Man Brewery for one of these:

Old 08-05-2020, 01:22 PM

Never had the actual spoon rust on me even after just throwing it in the box. The hooks though i think they went with a lower quality these days.

I was able to accumulate hundreds of these over the years from unsuspecting fishermans leaving their entire tackle gear behind, lost or snagged in the rocks and of course buying off other people.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:36 PM

was at Besnard lake in the early 90's...father in law and I got snagged at the same time casting lures...managed to bring up a freakin'net...good god the stench of dead fish etc....he says what ya doing....I am going to pull this entire bugger up..empty it of lures from the past and drag it on shore...well man I filled the tackle box after loosing my lunch a few times then dry heavin' afterwords but gotta tell ya the Len Thompson lures were the in best condition out of the bunch.....

Old 08-05-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikeonafly View Post
Never had the actual spoon rust on me even after just throwing it in the box. The hooks though i think they went with a lower quality these days.

I was able to accumulate hundreds of these over the years from unsuspecting fishermans leaving their entire tackle gear behind, lost or snagged in the rocks and of course buying off other people.
The brass spoons wont rust, they do tend to tarnish and become a little less shiny but thats about it.
As for rust I dont think its a bad thing. Since if it does rust quickly then its easier for fish survival incase you break off.

If you want to prevent rust in the tackle box then sprinkle either rice inside the tackle box or put a silica pack inside each box. Now if you really dont want to cheap out then change out all your tackle boxes to Flambeau ZERUST tackle boxes.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 08-05-2020, 11:22 PM

Default Top Notch For Sure!

We had custom lures made up as party favours for our wedding, and they've caught all kinds of fish since.

I dont fish a lot, but when I do I fish for keeps and that means a Len Thompson is getting wet
Old 08-05-2020, 11:35 PM
Banned

I’ll be the first to admit this was a little excessive but did anyone else buy the 2016 Big Fish series from the mint just for the Len Thompson?

https://www.mint.ca/store/coins/abon...16-prod2601063
Old 08-06-2020, 06:02 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I’ll be the first to admit this was a little excessive but did anyone else buy the 2016 Big Fish series from the mint just for the Len Thompson?

https://www.mint.ca/store/coins/abon...16-prod2601063
Nope but that is very impressive.....

Old 08-08-2020, 12:59 PM

I use LT spoons alot,the 1st year they brought out the blue pink and white spoon around 2000,it slayed the most lake trout and pike at our fly in trip in the NWT,won $160 for the biggest trout and pike that trip with it.Dale from Sportsmen's Den gave it to me to try,it wasn't forsale yet.The next year everyone had 2 or 3 of them.
My dad used to say if he could only have one hook, it would be a Len Thompson 5 of diamonds.I would have to agree.