Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-27-2020, 09:34 AM

Default Non Res hunting

Guys I have been hunting Alberta for the last 16 years from the states, can't imagine not going this year. Any word yet for sure if we can go or not?
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKEHORN View Post
Guys I have been hunting Alberta for the last 16 years from the states, can't imagine not going this year. Any word yet for sure if we can go or not?
Thanks in advance.
Not yet... what kind of hunting do you do?
Old 07-27-2020, 09:47 AM

whitetail
Old 07-27-2020, 09:59 AM

Won't open I can bet on that. At this point if I was on outfitter I'd just like an answer so I can move on and plan.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Won't open I can bet on that. At this point if I was on outfitter I'd just like an answer so I can move on and plan.
ya my outfitter is in limbo, I'm sure I'm its not in the cards for this year
Old 07-27-2020, 02:45 PM

I'd be looking south of the boarder for some opportunities.

Boarder is only open for essential travel and with the states blowing up right now, its going to take a couple months to calm down which will be start of deer season.

I cant see much if any travel until the new year for sure. Hopefully things are better for christmas I am sure most families and people are hoping for.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKEHORN View Post
Thanks in advance.
Hmm this was posted on FB too, not so friendly on there.
Looking pretty beak though for this year, they will be bigger next year.
WDF
Old 07-28-2020, 07:03 AM

This just plain sucks.
My biggest hunt in my life just shelved in BC, i assume. Sept.8th.is way to close.
2 years in the planning and full blow exercise plan wasted along with 1700.00 worth of high end hunting gear for some Ohio deer.
I know next year, but at 63 one never knows how in shape each year brings.
My condolences to the other hunters trying too!
Old 07-28-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
I've seen an outfitter here in Sask put up cancellation hunt packages for Residents/Canadian Residents. You pay 2000$ to get your slot; if the border remains closed, you get your hunt with your chosen dates. If the border re-opens, you get your 2000$ reimbursed PLUS 200$ extra cash as a bonus and for the hassle. I thought it was a pretty good idea, it ensures their outfit will run regardless and that their employees will work.

Now I wouldn't burn my Sask resident tag on that but if an Alberta outfitter were to do something similar I would highly consider it since I have at least 5 Montana and Wyoming tags on the line...
Old 08-02-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffee View Post
I've seen an outfitter here in Sask put up cancellation hunt packages for Residents/Canadian Residents. You pay 2000$ to get your slot; if the border remains closed, you get your hunt with your chosen dates. If the border re-opens, you get your 2000$ reimbursed PLUS 200$ extra cash as a bonus and for the hassle. I thought it was a pretty good idea, it ensures their outfit will run regardless and that their employees will work.

Now I wouldn't burn my Sask resident tag on that but if an Alberta outfitter were to do something similar I would highly consider it since I have at least 5 Montana and Wyoming tags on the line...

You drew 5 MT and WY tags? I need you to put in draws for me with luck like that!
Old 08-04-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
You drew 5 MT and WY tags? I need you to put in draws for me with luck like that!
Yessir! I turned in my General Elk/Deer combo in Montana and switched it for deer, which would've been #6 and changed my guaranteed Limited Entry Elk in Wyoming last minute due to COVID so that would've been #7. Still waiting on Montana Antelope results, which I have very good odds for but kind of wish I don't draw.

How about this, be my hunter host in AB and I'll give you a hand for Montana and Wyoming!!! haha

Edit: Just saw you're from Montana, never mind! lol
I apply to lesser units to hunt more, for me, it's not about that one story of that big buck/bull I shot after 20 years of applying, but more about the many memories I will have from good hunts down the line. You only live once, apply for lesser units and hunt MORE!
Old 09-06-2020, 12:00 AM

Who can direct me to where I can figure this out? Is it just a call to F&W?
Relative from Arizona is in BC for several months already and not going home possibly until 2021.
Can I host him to hunt?
Old 09-06-2020, 06:21 AM

I believe there's a certain date he has to apply for as being a non-resident alien which is in the spring

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I believe there's a certain date he has to apply for as being a non-resident alien which is in the spring

Ok.
I thought there was a requirement to apply for host by Aug 31 but I can’t find that written anywhere now. Assumed he could get his stuff set up any time of the year.
Is the F&W office the place to call?
Old 09-08-2020, 04:37 PM

How are people getting through to F&W these days?

So government offices have to be closed because covid is so scary but kids can go to school? This whole covid inconvenience and nuisance is getting really old. And the weather is still nice. Wait until Canadian winter sets in and see how grumpy I get.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
How are people getting through to F&W these days?

So government offices have to be closed because covid is so scary but kids can go to school? This whole covid inconvenience and nuisance is getting really old. And the weather is still nice. Wait until Canadian winter sets in and see how grumpy I get.
I went in and got my Landowner Elk Friday. The Gal at the F&W said there are very few over the counter F&W Offices anymore. Calgary she said is one of them that don't offer over the counter service. Weird.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
I went in and got my Landowner Elk Friday. The Gal at the F&W said there are very few over the counter F&W Offices anymore. Calgary she said is one of them that don't offer over the counter service. Weird.

What office did you go to? I called 4 or 5 in Edmonton and North and got the same automated stuff. Couldn’t get through to anyone
Old 09-08-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
What office did you go to? I called 4 or 5 in Edmonton and North and got the same automated stuff. Couldn’t get through to anyone
I called last week and got my trappers license, was in my hands in under 10mins. Call in and follow the prompts.

LC
Old 09-08-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I called last week and got my trappers license, was in my hands in under 10mins. Call in and follow the prompts.

LC

Different prompts get to different people. Clearly what I’m seeking isn’t getting picked up.
I’ll try again tomorrow and go through multiple options until I get anyone with voice lol
Old 09-09-2020, 02:30 PM

So I don’t know why I got through today and transferred to someone else but it was ridiculously easy today.
First time I got through to someone they sent me on a rabbit trail of answering machine notices
Old 09-10-2020, 08:06 AM

I think the offices opened on Tuesday. I was at the Drayton Valley office yesterday and it was open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
So I don’t know why I got through today and transferred to someone else but it was ridiculously easy today.
First time I got through to someone they sent me on a rabbit trail of answering machine notices
What did you find out im pretty sure it's an early spring date that they have to apply by ,let us know what you found out

Old 09-10-2020, 01:00 PM

Doesn't look like there's a date limit anymore ,should be able to get all this process and have your Hunter host up.

Old 09-10-2020, 01:13 PM

Lady I talked to said “well the borders are closed and the deadline has been Aug 31 for like 20 years”.
When I explained he had already been in Canada for a couple months and not going home until next year she said she’d email me the application and they’ll look at it.
Looks promising but no guarantees.
I’m pretty sure they’ll be reasonable if he gets his WIN and we get the application signed by a commissioner of oaths.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:27 PM

So there is a deadline of August 31st

Old 09-10-2020, 08:03 PM

Yes but I also noticed that this years resources didn’t have it listed.