Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-12-2019, 11:47 PM

Default Looking to get in to trad shooting

I am looking to get in to trad shooting. I shot compound for years. But sold it when stuff got busy with kids. Kids are still small but I have more time to commit to bow now, and the simple things appeal more and more to me.
Hence why I want to try a long bow. Was thinking about 50lb my draw length is 28" dont want to break the bank. Would be happy with a used bow. Any place specifically around edmonton I should go for long bows?
Any and all Info is welcome. Could be interested in taking a intro course or follow an experienced trad guy.
Thanks
Brad
Old 11-13-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
I am looking to get in to trad shooting. I shot compound for years. But sold it when stuff got busy with kids. Kids are still small but I have more time to commit to bow now, and the simple things appeal more and more to me.
Hence why I want to try a long bow. Was thinking about 50lb my draw length is 28" dont want to break the bank. Would be happy with a used bow. Any place specifically around edmonton I should go for long bows?
Any and all Info is welcome. Could be interested in taking a intro course or follow an experienced trad guy.
Thanks
Brad
There’s thenalberta traditional bow hunters association...check the website.

There’s a big contingent of trad hunters in Edmonton.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:03 AM

Poke Petew here if he doesn't jump in. He had a pile of used longbows on the buy and sell. He's the go to guy here for traditional and usually has a stable full of long bows. Might be a starting point.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the info. Any one have experience with the Martin "the stick" I found one for 100.00 price seems good but I read some reviews that weren't great.
Brad
Old 11-13-2019, 08:18 AM

I spoke to jack Kempf a few years ago. Very nice and interesting man. Cant find any info on him now. Is he still making bows?
Old 03-11-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I spoke to jack Kempf a few years ago. Very nice and interesting man. Cant find any info on him now. Is he still making bows?
Yep. One of his bows was just auctioned off at the Sherwood Park Archery Club's silent auction. Jack is a founding member and was just there last week shooting. There is also the Jack Kempf Traditional 3d shoot coming up and he is sure to be in attendance.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I have known Jack for about 25 years and have several bows that he made for me , the last one I had him do for a retirement present to myself this past November
He is still making bows , yes , give him a call (780) 467 3939
Cat