Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 05:17 PM

Default Where to buy glow sticks for night fishing?

Haven't seen them in fishing stores. Found some online but feels stupid to pay $15 for shipping 10$ worth of product. Any tips where I can find some?
Old 09-18-2018, 05:22 PM

I’m pretty sure any lure that produces light is illegal. For glowing tackle the fishin hole has jig heads and bottom bouncers for sure. You can either use your phones light to charge them, or I use a headlamp that’s crazy bright.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
I’m pretty sure any lure that produces light is illegal. For glowing tackle the fishin hole has jig heads and bottom bouncers for sure. You can either use your phones light to charge them, or I use a headlamp that’s crazy bright.
To clarify - I am not planning to use them to attract the fish in any way. I attach them to the rod so I can see the strike.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:26 PM

My bad

It is unlawful to;

Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling. This includes visible lights that are emitted by underwater cameras.

I would be cautious regarding toxic substances tho
Old 09-18-2018, 05:27 PM

Dollarama buddy. WAY cheaper than anywhere else.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
My bad

It is unlawful to;

Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling. This includes visible lights that are emitted by underwater cameras.
So by that definition you can't use headlights to see what you are reeling in at night either? Or any regular light to charge the glowing jigs, lures, etc? Seems unreasonable.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Dollarama buddy. WAY cheaper than anywhere else.
Brilliant! Thanks!
Old 09-18-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
So by that definition you can't use headlights to see what you are reeling in at night either? Or any regular light to charge the glowing jigs, lures, etc? Seems unreasonable.

I don’t see it as “you can use a light at all”. Yet it’s not a clear as it could be.

You can’t use a light to attract fish. That would really mean ‘spotlighting’ in my book. And I would presume it’s fairly obvious if someone is using a light to attract fish, and nearly impossible to eliminate any light that might find it way to the water and potentially be visible by a fish.
Ironically your intended use would start to approach what ‘could’ be considered used to attract fish, if your rod was say in a rod holder a few feet above the water.
I use a small bell on the rod while ice fishing, which might be an even better signal device. However I don’t think you’d get in any trouble for a glow stick on the end of a rod.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:49 PM

I have bells and used them before but it is pain in behind to keep clipping them on and off. And sometimes when you set the hook they fly away and then good luck finding them at night. They are great if you fall asleep for sure. Glow sticks worked very well for me - used them before back in Europe fishing for tench, bream, catfish and walleye. You can even do double signal - bell and a stick. At first strike remove the bell and keep watching.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:01 PM

Already said - Dollarama! You can get them in all shapes and sizes. A few bracelets and a necklace for youself in any color you wish too! My kid comes home with them feom every birthday party he goes to.

Mike
Old 09-18-2018, 10:18 PM

Dollarama as mentioned. Walmart sometimes has them on clearance as well and they actually end up being cheaper that Dollarama sometimes.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:10 PM

Wal mart has large pkgs right now for Halloween. There a smaller size to and cheap.

WC
Old 09-19-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
To clarify - I am not planning to use them to attract the fish in any way. I attach them to the rod so I can see the strike.

I like it

Don't they sell those bells you can put on the tip of your rod.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:39 AM

I find that river walleye bites can be so subtle that a bell or light aren't of much help. I used to use a rod holder at all times, but have switched to holding my rod with my index finger on the line to detect bites.

I know The Fishin' Hole has glow lights, but as already mentioned, a dollar store would have them for cheaper. I think the ones at TFH are specifically made for fishing, though.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:11 PM

You can shine a light across a lake but not directly into the water to attract fish. Still have to find your way to shore if you night fish. Some lakes do not allow night fishing till at least November. Sun up till sundown. If your lure has a light built in good to go. Not suppose to attach a light to it. That's what I understand and no expert by no means.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I don’t see it as “you can use a light at all”. Yet it’s not a clear as it could be.

You can’t use a light to attract fish. That would really mean ‘spotlighting’ in my book. And I would presume it’s fairly obvious if someone is using a light to attract fish, and nearly impossible to eliminate any light that might find it way to the water and potentially be visible by a fish.
Ironically your intended use would start to approach what ‘could’ be considered used to attract fish, if your rod was say in a rod holder a few feet above the water.
I use a small bell on the rod while ice fishing, which might be an even better signal device. However I don’t think you’d get in any trouble for a glow stick on the end of a rod.
I think you are looking too in depth to the interpretation of this.........
Old 09-23-2018, 10:28 PM

I saw some guys a few years back fishing for burbot after dark in October. Their floats included red LEDs and it was eerie seeing these little red lights floating on the water in the darkness. When a burbot hit their bait, the LED was pulled underwater and they knew they had a strike.

Nothing wrong with that since the LEDs weren't attracting the fish, just letting them see what was up with their bobbers. Nothing wrong with a light on your rod to indicated when you have a strike either. I'd have more of a problem with the glow-lures that you charge up with a bright light and then they emit a glow to attract fish, and those are legal in most places.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:52 AM

Thanks for all the tips guys. Bought a pack at Wallmart for $3. Works well. Just did not see any bites due to water being coffee with cream color after last few rains. Need a calm week or two for it to clear out as first two weeks of October used to be my go to time for fall walleye in Red Deer River.

Last edited by AK47; 09-25-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:45 PM

I use the Thill bobber lights taped to the rod tip. You can shut them off, they don't get in the way, and you don't have to remove them to cast.